The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
best limiter pedal (brick wall)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
best limiter pedal (brick wall)

Hey all im looking for a good limiter pedal that can brick wall limit my sound somewhat. Im actually DJ'ing a set with a controller / sampler and I want to be able to distort my audio and add effects that would boost the volume/db some what extremely, but of course, i dont want to blow the audiences ears out.

Im looking for a good limiter pedal any suggestions? multiband freq. limiter would be a plus
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

mono or stereo?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
mono or stereo?
mono but im open to either
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The best limiter pedal I’ve used is the Keeley Bassist. It does not mess with my tone. I keep it on my Boomstar so I can go crazy with resonance and not worry about blowing anything. It’s easy to set up. I play guitar so I’ve owned the Boss LM2, the Carl Martin, and briefly the cheap Behringer comp/limiter pedal, but it got returned pretty quickly. All three cut low frequencies so I looked for a bass alternative:

https://robertkeeley.com/product/bassist-compressor/
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
The best limiter pedal I’ve used is the Keeley Bassist. It does not mess with my tone. I keep it on my Boomstar so I can go crazy with resonance and not worry about blowing anything. It’s easy to set up. I play guitar so I’ve owned the Boss LM2, the Carl Martin, and briefly the cheap Behringer comp/limiter pedal, but it got returned pretty quickly. All three cut low frequencies so I looked for a bass alternative:

id be using it with a sampler/drum machine and it would me limiting the master. lots of frequencies in there, you think i'd be a good fit? synths, drums, bass, samples, coming out stereo or mono
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny23 View Post
id be using it with a sampler/drum machine and it would me limiting the master. lots of frequencies in there, you think i'd be a good fit? synths, drums, bass, samples, coming out stereo or mono
I have never run more than one synth at a time through it, it’s completely transparent but I don’t know how it would respond to a busy mix. It’s a mono pedal. Have you thought about a rack style or desk top stereo unit?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:

Quote:
I have never run more than one synth at a time through it, it’s completely transparent but I don’t know how it would respond to a busy mix. It’s a mono pedal. Have you thought about a rack style or desk top stereo unit?
unfamiliar with them? any suggestions?info?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
best compressor / limiter for live techno

Hey all im looking for a good limiter/compressor for the master channel/output of a sampler. it'd be for live performance /hardware im running on an analog rytm (synths, drums, bass, samples). I can output mono or stereo. I want to be able to distort my audio and add effects live that could boost the volume/db some what extremely, but of course, i dont want to blow the audiences ears out (hard limit).

any suggestions? multiband freq. limiter/compressor would be a plus
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I see Octave One use a FMR RNC in their setup. Not sure where it goes in their chain though

Old 2 weeks ago
BSS DPR-402 Used by FOH engineers in the past for exactly what you want it for. Sounds good too. Live sound all went digital so you can find them for reasonable prices. It's not a unit that has a huge hype but a workhorse.
Other alternatives: The BSS DPR-422 Opal (same but bit newer and IMO less good) Klark Technik DN500 (good!) and a bit cheaper DBX 166XL
These double as good but uncolored compressors in a studio as well.

I wouldn't use a multiband compressor in a live set (unless you want to shell out for a fat Drawmer). Setting those up is tricky as well (look out for phase changes!) Instead use a cheap graphic eq and put it on the sidechain.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
BSS DPR-402 find a second hand cheap one. used by FOH for exactly what you want it for. Sounds good too.
Sounds even better if you put a pair of OP275 or LME49860 chips in the output stages. Also, Octave One are using the RNL there.

From your description though what you really want is a little desk that distorts nicely for techno, like a Soundtracs Solo Rack.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I love having Focusrite Compounder as a master compressor after Boss BX-16 mixer in my bedroom jams.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Waves Maxx BCL
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search