The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Found this on the way home from work today...
Old 2 weeks ago
Found this on the way home from work today...

I couldn't let it stay in the pawn shop... Played it for a bit and looks to be near mint condition. Cant wait to start putting it through its paces! Anyone know of anything I should look for/test/be aware of?
Attached Thumbnails
Found this on the way home from work today...-img_3675.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
Holy crap! How much was that?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
Holy crap! How much was that?
More than I wish it was but much less than Reverb prices.
Old 2 weeks ago
You've gotta wonder at the circumstances where someone in today's internet age would drop that bad boy at a pawn shop.
Old 2 weeks ago
In fairness this is the one pawn shop in town that deals in the high end.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
You've gotta wonder at the circumstances where someone in today's internet age would drop that bad boy at a pawn shop.
I have a friend that’s got a buying problem, if he needs to pay rent and doesn’t have a buyer for whatever things he’s selling, he’ll take it all down to the pawn. I cringe every time, but I can’t afford to bail him out every time... Serious rotating cast of stuff, I’ve only known him a couple years (because i sold him a keyboard), but he’s gone from a room full of synths to nothing and back a couple of times, sold all his guitars, in the last couple months I think he’s bought about 9 guitars...5 or 6 synths...some of which he’s already sold again...

Long story short though, if you need cash in a hurry you do what you gotta do. Can’t live in or eat a synth.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm not a big poly synth fan but I think it's one of the best. I had one for a while. They just sound so good. They are probably more stable (oscillator-wise) than any other poly (I'm familiar with) from back then. I was shopping for a MemoryMoog once and met up with the guy at my friend's studio (he had an OB8). My friend's studio was ridiculously hot and after an hour+ the MemoryMoog oscillators would still not track properly... my friends OB8... solid as a rock.

Enjoy! if you like the sound, it really is an amazing synth.
Old 2 weeks ago
Got to play it a bit last night. Looks like I need to do some work on the keyboard. Not sure if its the J Wire or panasonic version yet. I will open it up and take a look. From some googling it looks like mine was made prior to the Rev 2 user manual, so Im guessing its a j wire. Still lots to test though, but initial impressions are good. Love the arpeggiator and the sound compliments my only other analog(Prophet 6). Needless to say Im searching all the previous OB8 threads here all morning instead of working.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Great find congrats. First thing to do is open it up and see if the power supply was recapped at some point. If not I'd do it or have it done asap. The voltages need to be checked to protect those valuable IC's in any case.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Nice score!
Old 2 weeks ago
Spent some time with this thing and it looks like it needs a bit of TLC. Im having what appears to be a common issue with the lower octave of the keyboard having dead keys. Also looks like some tuning instability when its on for a while, but it tunes back up with the autotune button. I will open it up and post some pics this weekend if anyone is interested.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wow, I've never even seen a pawn shop in my entire life, let alone one with high end vintage synths.

I guess they're still around!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone know of anything I should look for/test/be aware of?
Attached Thumbnails

The serial number?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Beautiful machine -- congrats!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Anyone know of anything I should look for/test/be aware of?
Attached Thumbnails

The serial number?
C31403
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks like your pawn shop just relisted your OB-8 on eBay... search item number 392374350078.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabar View Post
Looks like your pawn shop just relisted your OB-8 on eBay... search item number 392374350078.
I definitely own it now so they can list it all day long.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Very nice pickup.

This never happens to me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo668 View Post
Very nice pickup.

This never happens to me.
Yes. These are Gearslutz version of Penthouse letters.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
I definitely own it now so they can list it all day long.
well then congrats -- I hope. My OB-8 (back in the late 90s) proved to have a little issue whose repair cost me more than I paid for it, which may or may not be an issue for you: one of the voices would play a quarter-tone low. The way to test this is simply to play eight notes and hear if any are off (preferably the same key 8 times).

The other issue was that the keys were not perfectly even. I don't know why or how this came to be -- it may have been like that when I bought it. But it was a question posed by one of the interested buyers.

Now you've already bought it, so it's a bit late as advice. But since you asked in the original post ...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
Wow, I've never even seen a pawn shop in my entire life, let alone one with high end vintage synths.

I guess they're still around!

There used to be a few decent ones in Hells Kitchen.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post
There used to be a few decent ones in Hells Kitchen.
This guy fancies himself as someone who caters to all things high end. Louis Vuitton, McIntosh tube gear, Manley Voxbox type rack gear. This and one other place Are the only spots in Houston that you find non Junk.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPogo View Post
well then congrats -- I hope. My OB-8 (back in the late 90s) proved to have a little issue whose repair cost me more than I paid for it, which may or may not be an issue for you: one of the voices would play a quarter-tone low. The way to test this is simply to play eight notes and hear if any are off (preferably the same key 8 times).

The other issue was that the keys were not perfectly even. I don't know why or how this came to be -- it may have been like that when I bought it. But it was a question posed by one of the interested buyers.

Now you've already bought it, so it's a bit late as advice. But since you asked in the original post ...
Thanks for this- this is exactly what I want to know.
I have done some voice tests, and they are all pretty good. Main issue seems to be the keyboard which I think I can fix. Hopefully won’t have to put too much into it but I wanna fix it right too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

What I like most about this thread is that it initially sounds like you were just walking down the street and you found it up against a picket fence next to a scratched up TV stand with a free sign on it.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabar View Post
Let me tell you something crazy about this...

I have 3 items for sale on Ebay. Two are very common items with dozens of listings but the third item item has only two listings besides mine in the entire U.S. I've been reading this thread since it was posted about the OB8 and that there's a pawnshop with high end analog synths and how rare that is. Today I saw you post where you gave the item number of that re-posting of the OB8 and I thought it would be interesting to see which pawnshop has that kind of stuff and what else they had. I pasted the item number into ebay and clicked on the seller. In the 5 item listings that come up on the first page there it was, one of the two items that were the competition listings for my not so common item I had just posted! I had just looked at that listing for it just a few hours ago.

I looked at their other items thinking maybe they tons of music stuff but really that had just a little bit of stuff, my local pawnshop has more. My item is not a high end or particularly noteworthy thing like an OB8 or Sony C800g. it's not like since they have a few high end items they were more likely to have for sale what I have. What are the odds of this happening? There's probably 50 thousand used music gear listings on ebay. How could I randomly just read this thread where a pawnshop just happens to re-post an OB8 by mistake, and I just feel like checking out a seller (which I almost never do) and then be face to face with one of two competition listings I literally just looked at? These are the kind of coincidences that make me think there really is more to the universe than is obvious!

Last edited by StarfishMusic; 1 week ago at 03:48 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Gear slutz cookies ^^^
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
Thanks for this- this is exactly what I want to know.
I have done some voice tests, and they are all pretty good. Main issue seems to be the keyboard which I think I can fix. Hopefully won’t have to put too much into it but I wanna fix it right too.
Sure -- it deserves it. And then play some Rush keyboard bits, because it deserves that too
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
What I like most about this thread is that it initially sounds like you were just walking down the street and you found it up against a picket fence next to a scratched up TV stand with a free sign on it.
That's basically how I've acquired all of my synths.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I have a friend that’s got a buying problem, if he needs to pay rent and doesn’t have a buyer for whatever things he’s selling, he’ll take it all down to the pawn. I cringe every time, but I can’t afford to bail him out every time... Serious rotating cast of stuff, I’ve only known him a couple years (because i sold him a keyboard), but he’s gone from a room full of synths to nothing and back a couple of times, sold all his guitars, in the last couple months I think he’s bought about 9 guitars...5 or 6 synths...some of which he’s already sold again...

Long story short though, if you need cash in a hurry you do what you gotta do. Can’t live in or eat a synth.
Can he "play" synth or guitar?
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
That's basically how I've acquired all of my synths.
In the Model D thread someone said he'd just put a boog in the rubbish that morning. I wonder if anyone walked past and picked it up.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search