The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Microbrute as midi controller and guitar synth
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Microbrute as midi controller and guitar synth

Hello. I'm primarily a guitarist, so I was looking for an inexpensive and versatile midi controller for adding virtual instruments to my recordings. I've got recommendations in favor of Arturia Minilab Mk2, but I've seen Youtube videos of Arturia Microbrute and I found it a very interesting device since it has analog inputs for inserting an external audio source like a guitar or a microphone, allowing to apply Microbrute filters to that. It's like having a keyboard and a guitar pedal at the same time.

However, I'm not sure about how competent it is for controlling virtual instruments. Will I be able to use its knobs with virtual instruments? And the pitch slider? Even the keyboard, as a midi controller, will it be polyphonic?

If it can control virtual instruments and also be a creative synth tool standalone or with a guitar, then it would be my first choice. However, if it barely controls midi or it's tricky to configure with Logic Pro, maybe I'd prefer Minilab. I know their prices are a lot different, but my budget can only get one of them, and my main purpose is adding keyboard tones to my recordings.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You won't be able to use its knobs or sliders, they don't send MIDI.

If you want an analog mono synth that can also act as a basic MIDI controller you need a digitally controlled one. The Novation Bass Station 2 and Korg monologue are current and not too expensive examples. They can also process external signals like the microbrute does.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
You won't be able to use its knobs or sliders, they don't send MIDI.

If you want an analog mono synth that can also act as a basic MIDI controller you need a digitally controlled one. The Novation Bass Station 2 and Korg monologue are current and not too expensive examples. They can also process external signals like the microbrute does.
Thanks for answering. As MIDI controllers, are Bass Station 2 and Monologue polyphonic keyboards (I know that as synths they're monophonic)?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

YMMV, but I find guitar into synth filter only vaguely interesting, at least for real time performance purposes. In the studio at least you can just use it as a processor and wiggle controls as it plays back, until you get the take you want. So I wouldn’t put too much weight into that feature. And of course, it doesn’t really make a great midi controller either.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmusician View Post
Thanks for answering. As MIDI controllers, are Bass Station 2 and Monologue polyphonic keyboards (I know that as synths they're monophonic)?
Yes they're polyphonic.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
YMMV, but I find guitar into synth filter only vaguely interesting, at least for real time performance purposes. In the studio at least you can just use it as a processor and wiggle controls as it plays back, until you get the take you want. So I wouldn’t put too much weight into that feature. And of course, it doesn’t really make a great midi controller either.
Now I'm thinking on the Korg Monologue and Novation Bass Station 2 as @ ToyBox suggests. But for the price of a Monologue I can almost get both Minilab and Microbrute, so I think I should start with a Minilab as my main use is not for live applications.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Microbrute has MIDI IN only for DIN, no Midi Out for DIN.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Microbrute is a rotten controller. It's better as a centerpiece for modular. The BS2 is a paraphonic Swiss Army knife, more utile than the Monologue, but listen to both, especially used as sound processors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search