The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
How do you clean your gear?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
How do you clean your gear?

I have shall we say an off white Akai sampler and an off white Akai synth from the 80's. One is particularly grubby looking and the other could certainly use a clean to get it looking back to it's best, but ideally i'd like to match them as they don't sit nicely together.

So, being electrical and being in the state they are i'd guess that limits what I can use? But maybe not?

Has anybody had much experience cleaning their gear beyond a quick wipe with a dusting cloth?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don did a piece on cleaning up an Akai S-950: he took it apart and cleaned the front panel with soap and water.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
Don did a piece on cleaning up an Akai S-950: he took it apart and cleaned the front panel with soap and water.
Thank you. My searching skills aren't detecting his thread/post unfortunately, plus i'm not sure who Don is tbh.

edit: Ah you mean Don Solaris? My apologies. i'll work through the Akai thread, to see if it's there
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo View Post
Thank you. My searching skills aren't detecting his thread/post unfortunately, plus i'm not sure who Don is tbh.

edit: Ah you mean Don Solaris? My apologies. i'll work through the Akai thread, to see if it's there
Pimp my Akai S-950 thread (new display, floppy upgrade, etc.)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo View Post
I have shall we say an off white Akai sampler and an off white Akai synth from the 80's. One is particularly grubby looking and the other could certainly use a clean to get it looking back to it's best, but ideally i'd like to match them as they don't sit nicely together.

So, being electrical and being in the state they are i'd guess that limits what I can use? But maybe not?

Has anybody had much experience cleaning their gear beyond a quick wipe with a dusting cloth?
there's lots of info online regarding how to clean the old white computers. amigas, ataris ect... look at them for some ideas.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Thank you i'm glad I checked this post again after going through 10 pages of the Akais are sexy thread. Don really is The Don. Impressive pimping skills as well as his soundset design skills
Old 1 week ago
Weekly, I have a detailer's vacuum which I use on my gear. Just use a narrow brush attachment. I don't like compressed air, it just stirs up crap. Once a year I might open a synth up and vacuum it out. A little HEPA filter unit runs an hour a day in the room (not sure if that helps or not). Desk wiped down with a damp cloth. Deep exterior cleaning of gear is generally done with a lint-free microfiber washcloth, slightly dampened with isopropyl alcohol mix. Occasionally swab out connections with deoxit and a lint-free q-tip. Never use any sort of soap or ANY cleaning products on my gear especially anything with ammonia (paranoid about fogging screens over time). Things needing whitening such as K5000 keys or a crusty old PC I would use baking soda and hot water bath on the offending plastic bits.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

i clean surfaces with a cloth moistened with WD-40.

WD-40 is not agressive, and eliminates grease very well.

i also cover gear with dense fabric when not using it (works as dust covers).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Wet wipes work well. No excess fluid to leak between buttons etc.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Damp cloth, and occasionally some alcohol on the buttons and switches to get at some of the dirt and grime.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Damp cloth, and occasionally some alcohol on the buttons and switches to get at some of the dirt and grime.
I 2nd the notion but would like to enhance it.

Microfiber cloth cleans more than any material.

Be very careful with alcohol as strong solutions do take paint off.

If using alcohol be sure to dilute it to 50% or weaker. I'll mix 99% isopropyl 1:1 with water.

Avoid alcohol if possible and try warm water with microfiber 1st. Takes care of most grime.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Swifter with an extendable handle and light vacuuming.
On the vacuuming a note of shared caution and experience; I just recently moved and whilst vacuuming with extended hand brush over my Spectralis 1, I inadvertently sucked-up one of the smart memory cards I have samples on, upon digging through a few lbs of cat hair memory card wasn’t even damaged by static, but careful where you stick that thing, could put an eye out!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek View Post
Avoid alcohol if possible
… and use WD-40 instead.
seriously.
especially when cleaning remnants of glue from stickers or stuff like that, when just water won't work for sure.

then just use dry cloth, and everything looks like new (except for scratches if any)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've had good luck using scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner (or a generic equivalent) for cleaning plastic cases and the like. It cuts through grime and tobacco tar quite well, and doesn't seem to harm plastics. I usually try to avoid getting it on electronic parts, though perhaps that's simply excessive caution.
Old 1 week ago
I've used rubbing alcohol since the 80's, during my electronic repair days and until now with around 15 synths.

Never had a problem nor heard of a problem with it, though I don't discount the possibility with paint and artwork.

I use corrosionx instead of wd40. Either will damage paint much more than rubbing alcohol ymmv.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I lick it clean. If it's good enough for cats.....
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
… and use WD-40 instead.
seriously.
especially when cleaning remnants of glue from stickers or stuff like that, when just water won't work for sure.

then just use dry cloth, and everything looks like new (except for scratches if any)
I've had mixed results w/ WD. Also I find it leaves a bit of a smelly slippery film. I'm an isopropyl man haha glad you found something that works for you too!

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Soap and water lightly dampened cloth is best to remove those grubby, drunken paw marks and smoke residue. If I need something heavier, a light spritz of window cleaner or alcohol wipes work. Both are mild solvents. Never spray directly onto your anything, always onto the cloth. For dust, I use a microfiber cloth.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

How do I go about cleaning a synth such as this?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you clean your gear?-46492143_10157065337803923_7075657521477713920_o.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

My wife purchased a $800 Dyson V10 vacuum with all kinds of attachments

One is a very soft and long brush that is perfect for getting all the dust off
Old 1 week ago
Whiskey and Armour-All wipes.

I take a big swig and then get to wiping.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search