Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

that DJ mixer tho...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
that DJ mixer tho...
There’s a similar venue in London called Spiritland with a hand built horn sound system using Altec designs, the mixer is like 100 pounds heavy, made entirely out of custom cast brass, and used hand wired transformers.

I think the only places these venues could exist is Japan or London. London also has Brilliant Corners with a large Klipsch sound system, Japan has some tiny bars with the same idea. London is too gentrified, and Japan’s culture is too polite, for people to disrespect the system. Where in America I could see some drunk idiot knocking it over or carving their name into the side of it within a week or two. When it’s nice Japanese audiophiles or some yuppie finance manager in Chelsea, it’s not much of a threat.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I like how it's about the sound first and the punters and money secondly, japan is the perfect place to be able to do this and not have the venue trashed or raided, I can see an older mix of people decompressing in places like this..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Couldn't happen in America, land of the stupid (as evidenced by the millions who voted for the ignoramus in chief)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I like how it's about the sound first and the punters and money secondly, japan is the perfect place to be able to do this and not have the venue trashed or raided, I can see an older mix of people decompressing in places like this..
Yeah, Japanese real estate is also oriented towards a lot of small niche business. They cut up spaces very different from other countries where a capacity of 40-50 people can be enough to survive.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
There’s a similar venue in London called Spiritland with a hand built horn sound system using Altec designs, the mixer is like 100 pounds heavy, made entirely out of custom cast brass, and used hand wired transformers.

I think the only places these venues could exist is Japan or London. London also has Brilliant Corners with a large Klipsch sound system, Japan has some tiny bars with the same idea. London is too gentrified, and Japan’s culture is too polite, for people to disrespect the system. Where in America I could see some drunk idiot knocking it over or carving their name into the side of it within a week or two. When it’s nice Japanese audiophiles or some yuppie finance manager in Chelsea, it’s not much of a threat.
I had no idea that we had these in London! Turns out that Spiritlands now has a second venue in the Royal Festival Hall. I'll be visiting soon (although I am not a finance manager :D). Thank you so much for your comment.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

every time i've been to japan, it was always the best sounding venues. some places i thought it would be pretty bad because of the initial impressions of room/speaker layout but they all turned out to sound fantastic. tight, punchy, nothing schrill. never made it to these listening bars though but i've seen the most diverse sound systems in japan.

japan was also the only place where the clubs asked me about soundcheck first. in europe you have to ask the club that you want to listen to the room and play a few tracks before the club opens.

here's another ra long read from a few years ago
https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2399
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
in europe you have to ask the club that you want to listen to the room and play a few tracks before the club opens.
In the UK all the club management cares about is maximising alcohol sales, and so they deliberately ignore sound quality. People drink more to tolerate loud but boomy,honky, awful sound.
Old 1 week ago
This could work in the USA but you'd need to make it a private club to screen out the irresponsible types.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search