The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
So many great synths. I want to buy them all.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So many great synths. I want to buy them all.

I might be addicted to buying gear. But man, the amount of awesome selections for electronic instruments is blowing my mind here in 2019. I mean, just 3 years ago when I started getting into this stuff, there wasn't nearly as many great choices. I'm actually having a difficult time deciding between synth gear much of the time because they're all pretty dope.

Anyone else going through this quality problem?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Most of us have gone through this. It’s an addiction like any other. Don’t fool yourself. If you’re not making money from this you only need a couple of synths. Really, you only need a keyboard and some VSTs to cover basically the entire sound spectrum. All the nuances in synths are just different shades of the same basic colors. Also, the more gear you have, the less music you’ll make.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_music View Post
Most of us have gone through this. It’s an addiction like any other. Don’t fool yourself. If you’re not making money from this you only need a couple of synths. Really, you only need a keyboard and some VSTs to cover basically the entire sound spectrum. All the nuances in synths are just different shades of the same basic colors. Also, the more gear you have, the less music you’ll make.
I don't confuse collecting vs making music. I'm putting an together album, videos, and a live show at this point and it is progressing at a good pace. For sure, some pieces get more use than others. But I care less about making more music than I do about making quality music. Gear isn't the key to that, but I also like collecting. For me, they don't conflict with each other. They help one another out, I'm never uninspired.

Maybe you only need a keyboard and some VST's to make tunes that you're happy with. That ain't me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkast View Post
I don't confuse collecting vs making music. I'm putting an together album, videos, and a live show at this point and it is progressing at a good pace. For sure, some pieces get more use than others. But I care less about making more music than I do about making quality music. Gear isn't the key to that, but I also like collecting. For me, they don't conflict with each other. They help one another out, I'm never uninspired.

Maybe you only need a keyboard and some VST's to make tunes that you're happy with. That ain't me.
There is a point of diminishing returns with owning gear. Eventually you find yourself in a conundrum of synths, drum machines, effects, patchbays, cables... and still you’re on GS and gear websites looking at the latest cool piece of equipment you just have to get.

With every piece of equipment comes the challenge of learning it, but more importantly, mastering it. It’s easier to buy something new than to master what you already own. Sure, new gear gives you inspiration, but what about pushing the limits of the gear you already own and finding inspiration through experimentation and challenge? There will always be a new synth waiting for you to pull out your wallet, but the time you waste obsessing on the gear, researching, learning, selling, arguing over on GS... is time you won’t get back. And that is time you could use to make your music, and enjoying the rest of your life.
Old 1 week ago
I had 21 synths a fews ago, Ive sold a couple and replaced them with another three. I make a tune every couple of months, but play around with them in between...normally use three or four on a tune. Some havent been played properly since I opened the box.

The three Ive bought recently have kept me in my studio for 5 nights in a row...Im getting out at 2 am and finished the second track in a week. Im thinking about playing them right now.

point is you can horde, you will likely not have the time to play them all, some wont inspire you to play....but buy the right ones then I think four or five pieces are all you need. I really dont want to sell many more as its such a hassle but Im thinking a Prophet 6 needs the space
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

It is a bit of a (first world) problem. For 10 years the only synth I owned was an Ensoniq TS-10. It did wavetables (“Transwaves”) and sample based synthesis and I was happy. I was also more guitar focused at that point. In the 00s I started hearing sounds that I knew were outside the scope of my TS and it started a bought of G.A.S. At the time it was all VA, ROMpler and Wavetable and after 5 years of that it did seem like I could do all that ITB, so I did. That sparked a totally different kind of G.A.S... V.G.A.S. The analog resurgence then presented itself and I was back OTB with a vengeance. Lots of cool, small and inexpensive synths abounded. I filled a room up with them.

It became unwieldy. Mentally and visually cluttered. I got rid of a big chunk before a move, and then another big chunk post move. I still had a bit too much, but it was at least ergonomic, for the most part. Then I had to move out of my studio room and into a corner of our large dining room. My space was actually somewhat increased, but having it all there highlighted what a sprawling mess it was. For the first time I really looked hard at what I had and what the role of each instrument was. I did an exercise where I started putting everything up for sale, to see how I felt about each synth. I took my favorite patches and tried to replicate them on other hardware and software instruments. In the end, a lot became clear and I was able to get rid of even more and replace a few things with other things that made more sense. It’s like redoing a city center to make sense, rather than to just be a collection of streets that got put there before any sort of city planning was done. It felt really good. My setup is pretty tight and tidy. You don’t need everything. I’d say you need about 8 synths of various types and some plugins to flesh out the bits that hardware can’t do. Of course, this number will be different for everyone, but that’s what works for me. My plan is to basically keep it as is for the foreseeable future.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I used to have thirty-something synths at a time. I've since slimmed it down to three in the main studio (kinda; it's two samplers and the modular) and five in the other one. Honestly, I'm even wondering if five is way too many.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm ten times more discerning than I was three or four years ago when it still wasn't certain that the synth boom would continue. Now we know it's a long game, and I'm happy just to fill a gap once in a while.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
I'm ten times more discerning than I was three or four years ago when it still wasn't certain that the synth boom would continue. Now we know it's a long game, and I'm happy just to fill a gap once in a while.
I’m right there with you. I just heard a Modal Skulpt demo that sounded excellent to me. The me from 10 years ago would have swiped his credit card with little thought, but that me had to be put down. My mantra is pretty simple, but it works for me: Does it do something important or sound significantly different that I need and don’t have in hardware or software? If the answer isn’t clear, I move on.

I also have a “min-spec” synth in my mind, and that really helps keep things tidy. I’m old enough to know myself a bit better and I know the types of things that I love and the types of things that bug me. For instance, I thought the Prologue demos sounded great to me. I was listening to them on Youtube, but not really watching the video. I liked them so much that I went back and watched them with more focus in my studio though good monitors, and what I instantly noticed was how much real time knob manipulation was going on to make the sounds I was hearing. If that’s your deal, have at it, but I’m more of a hands-on-the-keys guy. If it can’t be mapped to an LFO, EG, velocity, aftertouch or expression pedal, it’s not happening. The Prologue is woefully short on all of that but velocity, so it’s a hard pass for me. Since the release of the Prologue, I picked up a poly pressure keyboard and it’s like having an ex take you back who you’ve never fallen out of love with. Finding a synth that responds to that is even tougher, so that further curtails my G.A.S. Sadly, it means a lot of my poly stuff is from DSI/Sequential, but I love their synths anyway, so it’s really nothing to complain about.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_music View Post
Most of us have gone through this. It’s an addiction like any other. Don’t fool yourself. If you’re not making money from this you only need a couple of synths
I dunno. You buy what you like. I think making money off something shouldn’t deter you if you like doing it. I’ve thrown so much money in the music hole it makes my head spin but it’s my life and what would I be doing without music? Cubical job? Video games? More drugs? Kids??
Money comes and money goes but a good creative toolkit is a necessity.
This stuff is still worth money, just take care of your gear and you can buy and sell to find the kit that fits. I wouldn’t worry about making money as long as you have a creative outlet... but maybe that’s why I’ll never be rich
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m right there with you. I just heard a Modal Skulpt demo that sounded excellent to me. The me from 10 years ago would have swiped his credit card with little thought, but that me had to be put down. My mantra is pretty simple, but it works for me: Does it do something important or sound significantly different that I need and don’t have in hardware or software? If the answer isn’t clear, I move on.
Especially for gadgets, eh? When you think, maybe three or four gadgets and you can get a Grandmother, then it's a lot easier to hold back. I really liked the sound of the CRAFT 2.0 but held the image of an OB-6 in my head all the way through the Kickstarter.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search