The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Why "premium synths" are more likely to have inbuilt AC adapters?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Why "premium synths" are more likely to have inbuilt AC adapters?

It's not absolutely true but very common. Those high-end beasts (like DSI Rev2, Novation Summit) and flagship workstations (like Yamaha Montage) are more likely to have inbuilt AC adapters. I would say this is convenient and aesthetic. But there are several points make me confused:
  1. Inbuilt AC adapter may cause interfere to circuit.
  2. Some gear don't support wide voltage input (100-240V), it would be inconvenient to travel abroad (high-end gear users are more likely to do something like world touring).
  3. It won't take much internal space and it's not expansive to manufacture, but this design is very rare on budget gears even there's enough space (look at those 88 keys mid range workstations with external AC adapter).

Last edited by Dusk Shine; 1 week ago at 03:13 AM.. Reason: Grammar mistake.
Old 1 week ago
DSC
Gear Maniac

I think to have the UL rating you have to pay a decent amount to have it tested and I am assuming the manufacturer would have to carry the proper insurance to cover any incidentals.

I purchased a EMW unit recently and saw that it had a proper 110V socket. It was there WCS-1X. I got a hell of a deal because Perfect Circuit had put them out on a fire sale. After receiving the unit I notice that there is NO UL listing on it.

(Ok, I just checked, and it's NOT required, but I imagine that you don't want to risk it, if you are a manufacturer.)

I'm not bitching, I got a hell of a deal, but it can be a big deal if something should happen.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
I think to have the UL rating you have to pay a decent amount to have it tested and I am assuming the manufacturer would have to carry the proper insurance to cover any incidentals.

I purchased a EMW unit recently and saw that it had a proper 110V socket. It was there WCS-1X. I got a hell of a deal because Perfect Circuit had put them out on a fire sale. After receiving the unit I notice that there is NO UL listing on it.

(Ok, I just checked, and it's NOT required, but I imagine that you don't want to risk it, if you are a manufacturer.)

I'm not bitching, I got a hell of a deal, but it can be a big deal if something should happen.
But seems that UL rating related things are still not avoidable even with external AC adapter?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes but the company that makes the wall wart has gone thru and paid for UL testing (check the fine print on the brick), thereby having freed the MI manufacturer both from the cost and the liability.

On a more expensive synth, part of what you’re paying for is the engineering required to both isolate the power supply so that it doesn’t introduce noise into the circuitry, and to manage the thermal environment around the power supply inside the synth so that it neither overheats, thus end up with a shortened life or worse, nor damages any nearby circuitry with thermal stresses.

Not all as simple as you might think.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Yes but the company that makes the wall wart has gone thru and paid for UL testing (check the fine print on the brick), thereby having freed the MI manufacturer both from the cost and the liability.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
thus end up with a shortened life
including the life of the user. Make no mistake, both 110V and 230V mains power is dangerous and can be deadly as it can cause significant currents to go through your body since it can easily deliver several amps of current through your body.

Hopefully you will have additional safety measures in your home such as a residual-current device but that doesn't relieve the manufacturer from responsibility and liability, they need to ensure that you are not going to get shocked.

https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/physi...l_current.html

If as a manufacturer you want to be on the safe side and don't want to spend quite a bit of money making sure your device is safe (and then still being liable so you need to get insurance), you use an external, certified PSU.

Personally I absolutely despise gear with external PSU, wallwarts and bricks both. I'll happily pay more for the convenience of an internal PSU and even moreso if it has a standard IEC C14 socket instead of an attached cord.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

On digital synths its comfortable to have it inside and only 1 or 2 types of cables to take care of, especially when playing live.

On analog synths i prefer external power supply to keep the heat and its negative impacts at bay.

May be premium synths have better heat managements and fans?
Old 1 week ago
the Rev 2 aint premium
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Another one: Gigging musicians don't want to keep track of a bunch of propriety wall-warts, which take up more power strip space, tangle easier, aren't generic and replaceable with an amp cord, etc
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
On digital synths its comfortable to have it inside and only 1 or 2 types of cables to take care of, especially when playing live.

On analog synths i prefer external power supply to keep the heat and its negative impacts at bay.

May be premium synths have better heat managements and fans?
If the Moog One's power supply had been external, I wonder if that would've been enough to avoid fans? A little more room, a little less heat... It seems like modern premium manufacturers don't want to add the weight of a real heat sink either, or are there some that do, rather than or in addition to fans, large case, etc? Baloran maybe?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk Shine View Post
Some gears
Protip: gear is both singular and plural, unless you're referring to a set of sprockets = gears.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search