The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
TX7 display with backlight
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamy_yazy View Post
Actually it is easier than you might imagine! Since you made it through with the DX21 , you will make it in 20 minutes with TX7 !! Seriously !!

Check this out, also :
https://www.buydisplay.com/default/b...2c-for-arduino
https://www.buydisplay.com/default/b...-adaptor-board
https://www.buydisplay.com/default/l...black-on-white
So am I correct in assuming that, when ordering the display, I should choose the VDD = 5.0 V power connection and the 1 X 16 pin header options?
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post
So am I correct in assuming that, when ordering the display, I should choose the VDD = 5.0 V power connection and the 1 X 16 pin header options?
Yep, that's correct.
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Ordered! $5.50 with shipping. Now I just need to wait 7-40 days for it to get here from China.
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Head
Cool ! Actually, you will receive it much sooner than 30 days, i guess...

Well, i found some time today and prepared a detailed "guide" for the TX7 display replacement.
There it is : https://synthnitz.blogspot.com/2019/...ght-guide.html

I will make a .pdf the next couple of days and upload it , too..

I hope it will be helpful for anyone who wants to perform this task.
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Well, i found some time today and prepared a detailed "guide" for the TX7 display replacement.

Thank you!
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

Well, i found some time today and prepared a detailed "guide" for the TX7 display replacement ... I hope it will be helpful for anyone who wants to perform this task.
nicely done, thanks. I'm quite fond of all my DX7 + related gear right now -- just about the only classic synth that's still very affordable. And still being used in new ways today!

Now, just waiting for the replacement display to arrive ...
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Awesome, thanks
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Head
I am so very happy that i could help, guys !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Actually it is easier than you might imagine! Since you made it through with the DX21 , you will make it in 20 minutes with TX7 !! Seriously !!
Your prediction proved quite true -- 20 minutes was right. And that included the time it took to put Greg Hawkes "Niagara Falls" into the CD player, and vacuum out the spiderwebs.

Compared to changing the DX21 backlight --

- it's easier to get the TX7 open, simply because it isn't as large; any table will do
- it's easier to get to (and remove) the LCD display
- no bezel (glass) to remove/reuse

There are some plastic pins that can be a bit tricky to remove -- they have a center part to push in, before they can be squeezed through their metal holes ... but that doesn't really matter; they won't be reused, so they can simply be cut/destroyed. Not that they were so much trouble; I used a very small screwdriver to push the middle pin part, then squeezed them through with needle-nose pliers. The main issue really is that the plastic tends to get less flexible after 30 years, so it's a bit stiff to work with.

Really, the only part requiring any skill is aligning the display, which is simply a matter of checking how it looks powered on, then adjusting as necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------

Photos attached, illustrating how dirty it was (even *after* vacuuming), some rust, and of course the displays themselves. Pleasant surprise: battery clip already installed! So I won't have to do that.

New display looks so good, I may get a couple more TX7's and do them as well. What great, thick sounds that would be!
Attached Thumbnails
TX7 display with backlight-img_1224.jpg   TX7 display with backlight-img_1226.jpg   TX7 display with backlight-img_1228.jpg   TX7 display with backlight-img_1229.jpg   TX7 display with backlight-img_1230.jpg  

TX7 display with backlight-img_1231.jpg   TX7 display with backlight-img_1235.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey, pardon the hijack...

Can any of you help me sort out how to use Dexed to manage Banks on the TX7?

I have both, both work individually, but I don't see where or how to do this.

Thanks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPogo View Post
Your prediction proved quite true -- 20 minutes was right. And that included the time it took to put Greg Hawkes "Niagara Falls" into the CD player, and vacuum out the spiderwebs.

Compared to changing the DX21 backlight --

- it's easier to get the TX7 open, simply because it isn't as large; any table will do
- it's easier to get to (and remove) the LCD display
- no bezel (glass) to remove/reuse

There are some plastic pins that can be a bit tricky to remove -- they have a center part to push in, before they can be squeezed through their metal holes ... but that doesn't really matter; they won't be reused, so they can simply be cut/destroyed. Not that they were so much trouble; I used a very small screwdriver to push the middle pin part, then squeezed them through with needle-nose pliers. The main issue really is that the plastic tends to get less flexible after 30 years, so it's a bit stiff to work with.

Really, the only part requiring any skill is aligning the display, which is simply a matter of checking how it looks powered on, then adjusting as necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------

Photos attached, illustrating how dirty it was (even *after* vacuuming), some rust, and of course the displays themselves. Pleasant surprise: battery clip already installed! So I won't have to do that.

New display looks so good, I may get a couple more TX7's and do them as well. What great, thick sounds that would be!

Wow, JPogo, where did that rust come from at those output nuts???

Anyway, i love the way you aligned the display with just 2 screws with nuts. It is much more resourceful, quite smarter than using the standard metal brackets with the stock pins that i used. Shows some engineering skill ... Kudos , man!! i like it.
BTW, did you solder the white connector to the new display, or did you buy it like this?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Wow, JPogo, where did that rust come from at those output nuts???

Anyway, i love the way you aligned the display with just 2 screws with nuts. It is much more resourceful, quite smarter than using the standard metal brackets with the stock pins that i used. Shows some engineering skill ... Kudos , man!! i like it.
BTW, did you solder the white connector to the new display, or did you buy it like this?
Ah, you're giving me too much credit -- that's just how the kit was designed to be installed: re-use one of the metal brackets, forget the pins, just two screws to attach the bracket to the display. I guess that's why it cost $20 instead of $5

Anyway: no soldering. And I was quite happy to see the battery clip installed, which I understood to be not the original Yamaha way ...

I'll have to replace those rusty nuts (hm, is that a band name ??? ...)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Ah, you're giving me too much credit -- that's just how the kit was designed to be installed: re-use one of the metal brackets, forget the pins, just two screws to attach the bracket to the display. I guess that's why it cost $20 instead of $5

Anyway: no soldering. And I was quite happy to see the battery clip installed, which I understood to be not the original Yamaha way ...

I'll have to replace those rusty nuts (hm, is that a band name ??? ...)
Well, you are right, 20 instead of 5, because the maker of the kit did all the work so it would be a plug-n-play module.
Anyway, i see the lcd now is too bright for your camera to capture the characters !
Very nice.
Btw, i am thinking of making a tilted stand for my TX7 like your wooden one i see in your photo. (no room on my SY85...)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
thinking of making a tilted stand for my TX7 like your wooden one i see in your photo. (no room on my SY85...)
Yes; when my keyboard stands got full, I expanded onto the walls. Haven't found the ideal setup yet but this certainly helps.

Building the shelf/rack is more difficult than it looks ... in this case the supporting bracket were left over from something or someone else, so all I had to do was figure out the shelf size (3' wide, 6" deep) and add a front piece to hold them up. In the larger photo attached, you can see I similarly shelved the TR-8 underneath, and wall-mounted a power-strip (one of five). The other gear in the foreground is also shelved, using some metal L-brackets and a piece of plywood.

All this may seem a bit thread-drifty, but anyone putting a backlight in a TX7 these days is going to have several other synths already, so discussing infrastructure must be a fair consequence
Attached Thumbnails
TX7 display with backlight-img_1237.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Yes; when my keyboard stands got full, I expanded onto the walls. Haven't found the ideal setup yet but this certainly helps.

Building the shelf/rack is more difficult than it looks ... in this case the supporting bracket were left over from something or someone else, so all I had to do was figure out the shelf size (3' wide, 6" deep) and add a front piece to hold them up. In the larger photo attached, you can see I similarly shelved the TR-8 underneath, and wall-mounted a power-strip (one of five). The other gear in the foreground is also shelved, using some metal L-brackets and a piece of plywood.

All this may seem a bit thread-drifty, but anyone putting a backlight in a TX7 these days is going to have several other synths already, so discussing infrastructure must be a fair consequence
That's what i call excellent use of space, and who said the TR08 is a tabletop synth?? And i think it is more ergonomic the way you placed it : play a bassline on the keyboard or JV EP soul vibes , and fiddle with the TR with your left... (just sayin'...)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's what i call excellent use of space, and who said the TR08 is a tabletop synth?? And i think it is more ergonomic the way you placed it : play a bassline on the keyboard or JV EP soul vibes , and fiddle with the TR with your left... (just sayin'...)
That is the idea!

Say, it appears there's some truth to the view that mentioning specific synths on GS increases their price/desirability -- I just looked up TX7 on Reverb and ebay, and there are now only three between both sites. Just a few months ago, seemed like there were a dozen
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ordered! $5.50 with shipping. Now I just need to wait 7-40 days for it to get here from China.
Ordered on 8-12, shipped on 8-12, and arrived on 8-19. That was fast!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Ordered on 8-12, shipped on 8-12, and arrived on 8-19. That was fast!
that IS fast!
Told ya, man!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
That is the idea!

Say, it appears there's some truth to the view that mentioning specific synths on GS increases their price/desirability -- I just looked up TX7 on Reverb and ebay, and there are now only three between both sites. Just a few months ago, seemed like there were a dozen
Now that you mention it, i noticed the exact same thing.. weird..
Perhaps i was lucky enough to grab the last TX7 in good condition and good price!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

You guys are killing me. Not only do I have to upgrade the display on my TX7, which is working fine.... I also have to buy that QX7 for sale locally, which I don't need.
Old 4 weeks ago
I so need a new display for my DX7II
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
You guys are killing me. Not only do I have to upgrade the display on my TX7, which is working fine.... I also have to buy that QX7 for sale locally, which I don't need.
can't say I need mine either. But it was local and cheap, and doesn't it look cool? I just liked the idea of having the complete 'vintage' DX7 package for about 10% of what it all cost new -- most recently, one of the RX drum machines (don't recall which). I might even set them up as their own 'station'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
I so need a new display for my DX7II
?? Yours stopped working? I thought the DX7ii came with backlit display ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
?? Yours stopped working? I thought the DX7ii came with backlit display ...
Yeah it works, just has dimmed with age. It'd be nice to put a modern OLED or similar in there with more contrast.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Yamy_Yazy,

Your PDF instructions for switching out the display couldn't be better. Thanks again.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
well, that's the deal , man! It's not about what you need, it's what you WANT !!
There's nothing obsolete, as long as there is love !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
can't say I need mine either. But it was local and cheap, and doesn't it look cool? I just liked the idea of having the complete 'vintage' DX7 package for about 10% of what it all cost new -- most recently, one of the RX drum machines (don't recall which). I might even set them up as their own 'station'
Exactly what i'm sayin' !!!
Music always has its own helpers that push you into temptation...............
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Yamy_Yazy,

Your PDF instructions for switching out the display couldn't be better. Thanks again.

i am glad it helped .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search