The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
How to tempo-sync a live keyboard rig?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
How to tempo-sync a live keyboard rig?

Hi everyone,

This is probably fairly basic for many, and years ago I would have probably been better at figuring this out. Working with DAWs and software have made my old-school midi skills deteriorate.

I am about to put together an 80's synth-pop band. I will be the keyboard player. My current boards that I'd like to use for the band are a Roland FA-08, a Yamaha MOxF6, and either a King Korg or my Roland Gaia, SH-01.

We will be wanting to do a lot of songs with arpeggiators, step sequencers, and other rhythmic effects or playing styles, but with everything else live. I already figured that I'd probably pick-up a metronome with a midi-in port for the drummer, either for him to operate directly or back at the board. So it would be great if I could use the Roland FA-08 to send midi clock signals to everything else in the rig as well as the metronome, but I have no idea how to do this without it also triggering notes on the other midi'd equipment. I want to play or trigger all of the arps or pulsing sounds manually but with them locked to the tempo of the band, which the drummer will have the metronome sync'd to as well.

Is this possible? If not, I have seen a master midi clock with two midi outputs. I could use it to feed all of the gear through a couple midi-through boxes, or maybe once I figure out which board(s) I will be using for the arp stuff, I could just get it or them in sync with the metronome from the midi clock and be good from there.

It has been a lot of years since I gigged as a keyboard player and I used to gig a LOT, but I never triggered arps or step-sequences. Your help is much appreciated!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You need to check the global menus of you synths. I am not familiar with your synths but i would start at the FA08 to see if you can set it to output only midi clock or mtc. Most synths have midi filters, you just switch off what you dont want.
If you cant find it in the fa08 then you need to look at the other synths to see if you can prevent them from accepting the midi you dont want them to.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin View Post
You need to check the global menus of you synths. I am not familiar with your synths but i would start at the FA08 to see if you can set it to output only midi clock or mtc. Most synths have midi filters, you just switch off what you dont want.
If you cant find it in the fa08 then you need to look at the other synths to see if you can prevent them from accepting the midi you dont want them to.
Thanks Matt, I'll have a look at the global/midi settings tonight. Much appreciated!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The "standard" way of doing it would be a a clicktrack or metronome from the aux output of the Roland or Yamaha to the drummer and midi clock sync to the other synths.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Get a cheap drum machine that accepts MMC to have the drummer listen to via headphones or IEM. Send the MIDI clock to the drum machine. Be sure to filter out all note data being sent to the drum machine. The advantage of the drum machine is it allows the drummer to adjust the levels in his ears while playing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

if the midi clock is stable enough coming from one of your keyboards than it could work. however, i would suggest going for the erm midiclock. it's not too expensive, you can run it off usb power. 1 output goes to a metronome for the drummer and second output gets split by a quadra thru (doesn't need an external power supply) to all your keyboards. one of the main reasons i'm suggesting the midiclock is that it's very easy to use, rock solid and most importantly has a reset button in case one of your machines decides to drift off or smth.

i've been using it to clock our live setup and it has been flawless and the restart button saved out ass a few times. we run a bunch of different gear from different manufacturers and it always kinda changes and we've never had a problem with.

as far as metronomes for the drummer, can't help you there but i'm sure there are tons of options. hell, get a volca sample and make your own metronome. could even change the sound depending on the track (i'm mostly joking about the volca but hey, why not)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
if the midi clock is stable enough coming from one of your keyboards than it could work. however, i would suggest going for the erm midiclock. it's not too expensive, you can run it off usb power. 1 output goes to a metronome for the drummer and second output gets split by a quadra thru (doesn't need an external power supply) to all your keyboards. one of the main reasons i'm suggesting the midiclock is that it's very easy to use, rock solid and most importantly has a reset button in case one of your machines decides to drift off or smth.

i've been using it to clock our live setup and it has been flawless and the restart button saved out ass a few times. we run a bunch of different gear from different manufacturers and it always kinda changes and we've never had a problem with.

as far as metronomes for the drummer, can't help you there but i'm sure there are tons of options. hell, get a volca sample and make your own metronome. could even change the sound depending on the track (i'm mostly joking about the volca but hey, why not)
Thanks! This makes the most sense to me. I had already looked at the clock, but I hadn't thought about the through-box, and that makes total sense.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Roland MX1 is not just a mixer, it makes a great master clock for everything plugged into it, fill up the inputs, analog, digital, USB and they will all sync perfectly to it's internal clock, or it can pass clock from any other clock source. You get effects, beat effects and filters per channel, it's not just a mixer it's a performance tool.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search