The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Sub $1000 monitors for mixing electronic
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Sub $1000 monitors for mixing electronic

Hey! I'm finally moving out of apartments and will finally be able to monitor my mixes outside of headphones. My first purchase will be acoustic treatment and near field monitors. I plan on buying a room bundle from GIK (room bundle #1 : 4 traps and 6 panels, unless someone can recommend another/better source).

This will leave me with a budget of $1000 for monitors and stands. Right now I'm leaning toward Monkey Banana Turbo 6's and their stands which come to about $860 shipped. Anyone have any experience with Monkey Bananas?

I've also read generally favorable sentiments toward Focal Alpha 65's. I've also always wanted a pair of Genelecs, but in my price range they all seem pretty small and I'd like to avoid adding a sub. The last contender is the Adam A7X, buts they are a little out of my price range and I'm not as into them (superficially). Unfortunately Arkansas doesn't have a location to test monitors outside of cheaper units.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Save up for a pair of used Genelecs...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Any particular model? I was really leaning toward buying new, just to avoid potentially abused units but I'm open
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Hello. If you are on a tight budget you could go for DIY panels. Many (including me) have tried it and you can find a lot of tips in this and other forums.
As for the monitors. For many reasons (mostly biology and physics) monitors have a different impact in different rooms and for different people. The best is, what is almost always suggested here, to test them in your room. I bought monitors blindly from the Internet after testing some in different shops and different rooms. I could be happier, but now I understand how important good acoustics really are. Good luck.

p.s.: I liked shape 65s more than a7x. They felt tighter. Although I ended up with adam t7v's.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You should be able to get a pair of 8040 A's used for around $1,000 or less.

That's what I use & they are adequate without a sub IMHO.
Old 2 weeks ago
M32
Lives for gear

Check out Hedd type 07's if you're looking for a better version of the Adams A7. Better low end, very transparent, amazing stereo image. Not dj-blasting speakers though. But they will serve any genre and last you a lifetime .
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyre View Post
Hey! I'm finally moving out of apartments and will finally be able to monitor my mixes outside of headphones. My first purchase will be acoustic treatment and near field monitors. I plan on buying a room bundle from GIK (room bundle #1 : 4 traps and 6 panels, unless someone can recommend another/better source).

This will leave me with a budget of $1000 for monitors and stands. Right now I'm leaning toward Monkey Banana Turbo 6's and their stands which come to about $860 shipped. Anyone have any experience with Monkey Bananas?

I've also read generally favorable sentiments toward Focal Alpha 65's. I've also always wanted a pair of Genelecs, but in my price range they all seem pretty small and I'd like to avoid adding a sub. The last contender is the Adam A7X, buts they are a little out of my price range and I'm not as into them (superficially). Unfortunately Arkansas doesn't have a location to test monitors outside of cheaper units.
Hey Psyre, good luck with the move! My advice would be to review models in your price range on SOS. I would put all your money just into the monitors. You can use them on a desk until you’ve saved for stands. Used stands are a safe buy. Look into acoustic treatment last. Once you have the monitors, their frequency response determines what you need. I found some bargain reduced 3 way monitors - they sound great - but what I saved on the monitors I lost having to beef up the acoustic treatment. Another thing to look at is monitor systems that have room compensation. You would still need to absorb hi-freq reflections but might save overall.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks everyone, very good points. I've wanted Genelecs for a long time, so maybe taking it slow and scouting for a nice used pair will be the route I take. The 8040's are exactly what I was after. Good point on holding off for treatment until I get them and find out what is specifically needed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I demoed the Focal Alphas against the pricier Adams and preferred the Focals by far.

I bought a pair of Alpha 65 and added a Presonus Temblor 10 sub. I could not be happier.

Strong recommendation also for a Subpac.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
this, or buy new if they are priced according to where you live..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
this, or buy new if they are priced according to where you live..
Unfortunately there isn't a single dealer that would stock Genelecs. I'd most likely have to make the 5 hour drive to Dallas to find a vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post

Strong recommendation also for a Subpac.
I recently started considering one. I'd be far more likely to go this route rather than a floor sub.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I recently started considering one. I'd be far more likely to go this route rather than a floor sub.
I wouldn't want to be without either.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search