The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
What new hardware can do the Minikorg 700s sound today?
Old 4th August 2019
  #1
Gear Addict
 
Rentzen's Avatar
What new hardware can do the Minikorg 700s sound today?

Hi

Simple question: Is there a modern (not too expensive, please) hardware synth that can sound like the Minikorg 700s? I really really love the gritty sound of it! Can this be achieved with other synths and then maybe some overdrive pedal or something like that?
Old 4th August 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
Volca. Or upcoming BiniBorg 700B
Old 4th August 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Nothing. Nothing comes even close. If you want that sound, you must get a Korg 700.

I prefer the KR-53 to every other drum machine out there; nothing compares with its drum roll. There are better egg rolls, but the 53-M drum roll? A true benchmark for electronic music!

Old 4th August 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
syntonica's Avatar
Man, that thing sounds so analog, it makes my teeth hurt! I don't know of anything that sounds similar--you either get the filter, but not the chorus, or you get the chorus but not the filter. You might try a Boog with a Chorus pedal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 5th August 2019
  #5
Gear Addict
 
Rentzen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
upcoming BiniBorg 700B
HAHAHA!! I was actually thinking / hoping / wishing for exactly that!
Old 5th August 2019
  #6
Gear Addict
 
Rentzen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Man, that thing sounds so analog, it makes my teeth hurt! I don't know of anything that sounds similar--you either get the filter, but not the chorus, or you get the chorus but not the filter. You might try a Boog with a Chorus pedal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hmmm yes, it is a good idea to get a filter! I own a DSI Prophet Rev2 - can you buy a eurorack filter (without having other eurorack gear) and run that synth into the eurorack filter (I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT EURORACK :-) )?

https://invidiou.sh/watch?v=Z_Bec49So5E&nojs=1
Old 5th August 2019
  #7
Gear Addict
 
Rentzen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I prefer the KR-53 to every other drum machine out there; nothing compares with its drum roll. There are better egg rolls, but the 53-M drum roll? A true benchmark for electronic music!

I am looking for a KR-53, but can only find the KR-55 - is that the one you are talking about?

(you are taking away my focus from the 700s - must resist and stay on path )
Old 5th August 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Volca Keys.
Old 5th August 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 

can't do this with volca keys ! missed one for peanuts locally a few years back. +1 for biniborg.
(but the Keys can be surprising)
(edit: was sure i'd typed "can't" !!! edited! )
although: hasn't anyone found an external filter input for Keys and Bass? (would need to trigger the VCF EG ... )



very nice, that. what modern units can do that ? ...

Last edited by whatever17; 5th August 2019 at 10:16 AM..
Old 5th August 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Any sound examples of that special sound only the 700s can do ? WITHOUT ANY EFFECTS AND NOT INVOLVING ANY SPEAKERS AND MICROPHONES.
Old 5th August 2019
  #11
Gear Addict
 
Rentzen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Any sound examples of that special sound only the 700s can do ? WITHOUT ANY EFFECTS AND NOT INVOLVING ANY SPEAKERS AND MICROPHONES.
This is also something I've been thinking about. I am in no way a purist and what matters (to me) is the final result. If I can use my Rev2 or a Boog D with some pedals, through an amp into a mic that is all good. I just know that every time I've heard that 700s I liked the sound of it.
For me it started because I was at a concert with The Chromatics many years ago and they had two of those on stage - but they also used huge Ampeg bass rigs - It sounded insane :-)

The link, that I posted earlier, for the "Vintage Synth Lab VCF-74 Eurorack (Korg Minikorg 700s) Filter Demo" sounded really good also, I think (It had a bit of reverb, if I remember correctly).
Old 5th August 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
can't do this with volca keys ! missed one for peanuts locally a few years back. +1 for biniborg.
(but the Keys can be surprising)
(edit: was sure i'd typed "can't" !!! edited! )
although: hasn't anyone found an external filter input for Keys and Bass? (would need to trigger the VCF EG ... )



very nice, that. what modern units can do that ? ...
Volca Keys.
Old 5th August 2019
  #13
there is a filter in Eurorack from NLC Fk1t Filter, same topology as in 700 and 800DV. if you run any vintage type, saw core oscillator in it (like dreadbox, ajh etc), you will be right in the ballpark.

not a very musical demo, but you will be able hear that rubbery, squishy resonance character pretty well:




theoretically, you could either put together a small euro system in a skiff with a single osc etc.

or get a model d behringer, and pair it with a small euro suplement containing this filter and additional vca, and patch boog's FILT CONT and LOUD CONT ot them, respectively.
Old 5th August 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Volca Keys.
you're doubly adamant about that aren't you? (Saddam Ant...)
lots there that it can't do. might be being fooled by his delay and reverb, but i mean some of the other tones. do appreciate Keys though.
Old 5th August 2019
  #15
Gear Addict
 
Rentzen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
there is a filter in Eurorack from NLC Fk1t Filter, same topology as in 700 and 800DV. if you run any vintage type, saw core oscillator in it (like dreadbox, ajh etc), you will be right in the ballpark.

not a very musical demo, but you will be able hear that rubbery, squishy resonance character pretty well:




theoretically, you could either put together a small euro system in a skiff with a single osc etc.

or get a model d behringer, and pair it with a small euro suplement containing this filter and additional vca, and patch boog's FILT CONT and LOUD CONT ot them, respectively.
Awesome stuff! I was just reading about the fk-1 pedal. Would I be able to use this kind of filter with a DSI Rev2?
Old 5th August 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
you're doubly adamant about that aren't you? (Saddam Ant...)
lots there that it can't do. might be being fooled by his delay and reverb, but i mean some of the other tones. do appreciate Keys though.


The Keys has a lot of bad things about it, envelopes kinda suck etc. and it doesn't really nail the 700 so much as have a bit of that character & do something different.

You could definitely get in the ballpark for some of the ring mod sounds.
Old 5th August 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Wasn't there a Boomstar version of the 700s (or just the 700 filter)?

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember talk of one.

#edit , this is the one

Old 5th August 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post


The Keys has a lot of bad things about it, envelopes kinda suck etc. and it doesn't really nail the 700 so much as have a bit of that character & do something different.

You could definitely get in the ballpark for some of the ring mod sounds.
the guy up the coast was selling the minikorg for ... 40eu
obviously GONE by the time i called. (same as the 120eu JU-6 another time)

thinking: one problem with getting an external signal through the volca filter is that the envelope would need to be triggered, but it's software - that's if we ever got a look at the schematics or had someone able to sniff out the circuit. those are two pretty good filters on the Keys and Bass (end of offtopic).
Old 5th August 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Rob Ocelot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Wasn't there a Boomstar version of the 700s (or just the 700 filter)?

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember talk of one.

#edit , this is the one

Ended up being a prototype only, sadly.

The closest thing I've found to the MiniKorg 700s sound is the similar-vintage Yamaha SY-2 -- and yet it's still not quite the same thing. Uses very similar Sallen Key type filters in a serial LPF-->HPF arrangement though the Korg physically doesn't let you cross the cutoffs (ie the 'Traveller' filter).
Old 5th August 2019
  #20
Gear Addict
 
Rentzen's Avatar
So, maybe the higher powers are trying to say something, but someone just put up a VSL VCF-74 mk2 filter for sale about two hours ago and he lives in my city here in Denmark. Is this an option for 700s sound and how much extra GEAR would I havet to get in order to get something out of it? Again, I've got an rev2, but I would need a power supply...and? Would this just be "a waste of money"? :-) Maybe get something like the Boog or Behringer Neutron to go with it?

Last edited by Rentzen; 5th August 2019 at 04:41 PM..
Old 5th August 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Uses very similar Sallen Key type filters in a serial LPF-->HPF arrangement though the Korg physically doesn't let you cross the cutoffs (ie the 'Traveller' filter).
Does if you swap the knobs.
Old 5th August 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen View Post
I am looking for a KR-53, but can only find the KR-55 - is that the one you are talking about?

(you are taking away my focus from the 700s - must resist and stay on path )
Yes, I meant the KR55.

There's only the possibility of getting in the ballpark of these antiques; the combination of their original design, original parts with all the aging of the components for 40 years is going to give them a sound that emulations can only approximate. I think we all agree on this.

The Volca Keys is a good recommendation; I can't think of anything that by default would get any closer, simply.
Old 5th August 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 
flat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post

The Volca Keys is a good recommendation; I can't think of anything that by default would get any closer, simply.
Sometimes I think the Doepfer Dark Energy MK1 can evoke that 700s sound. Occasionally when I'm noodling I hear that 70's era Korg vibe.
Old 5th August 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 

I am including a Mini-Korg S preset in
the “Vintage Keys” library I am creating
for the Yamaha Montage synthesizer.
I have high-pass and low-pass filters
both assigned to the Montage’s ribbon
controller, so by sliding your finger on
the ribbon, both filters cutoff and resonance
change at the same time, like on the
original Mini Korg.

There is also a MiniKorg 700 in Soniccouture’s
“The Attic” synth library for Kontakt.
http://www.soniccouture.com
Old 5th August 2019
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentzen View Post
So, maybe the higher powers are trying to say something, but someone just put up a VSL VCF-74 mk2 filter for sale about two hours ago and he lives in my city here in Denmark. Is this an option for 700s sound and how much extra GEAR would I havet to get in order to get something out of it? Again, I've got an rev2, but I would need a power supply...and? Would this just be "a waste of money"? :-) Maybe get something like the Boog or Behringer Neutron to go with it?
hard to say, i liked the NLC demos much more then VSL74 mk1 when it came out - sounded too modern and somehow dirty. now they have an improved mk2 version, which i have no idea if sonics are altered/improved or not.

but i stress its just "demos", so who knows..
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump