The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Seeking advice: Best live hardware to trigger/play songs: Grooveboxes?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Seeking advice: Best live hardware to trigger/play songs: Grooveboxes?

hey so i have a couple gigs coming up in a couple weeks. live hardware gigs, and i have a lot of loops/songs that i want to trigger on hardware but i need an affordable piece to do so. I want one piece to handle it, and ive seen good work done with the RS7000 and RM1X. i know little about grooveboxes and how they work...
basically as of recent i have been using a borrowed RYTM and just think 12 pads isnt enough for the amount of loops and songs that i want to sequence live (per project file). Ideally i wish i had as many triggers/pads as possible as to not have to open many different projects and cease sound live.

please any recommendations on hardware that could help me here...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny23 View Post
hey so i have a couple gigs coming up in a couple weeks. live hardware gigs, and i have a lot of loops/songs that i want to trigger on hardware but i need an affordable piece to do so. I want one piece to handle it, and ive seen good work done with the RS7000 and RM1X. i know little about grooveboxes and how they work...
basically as of recent i have been using a borrowed RYTM and just think 12 pads isnt enough for the amount of loops and songs that i want to sequence live (per project file). Ideally i wish i had as many triggers/pads as possible as to not have to open many different projects and cease sound live.

please any recommendations on hardware that could help me here...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Dunno, maybe an sp404 could work?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Maybe checkout the MPC live
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
Maybe checkout the MPC live
anything cheaper?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You have live hardware gigs scheduled already but no hardware of your own to use?

What do you have now? What hardware does it need to sequence?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
You have live hardware gigs scheduled already but no hardware of your own to use?

What do you have now? What hardware does it need to sequence?
im not sure how strict the rules are behind these "live hardware" gigs. A lot of people ive known performing at these use just one piece (RS7000, MPC). no computer type thing.

i have a rytm and im planning to use it however i feel like a RS7000 has capabilities for more loops.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1. grooveboxes
2. grooveboxes
3. Squarp Pyramid

my current live rig is (warning: it's on the big side! not just a couple of boxes):
1. Pyramid
2. either Novation Nova Laptop or DSI Tetra — leads, basslines
3. Blofeld — pads, drones, partially drums.
4. Electribe 2 (synth) — drums, supplementary sounds.
5. Zoom LiveTrak L-12 to mix 'em all
6. input devices: Launchpad Pro for playing & Arturia Beatstep for tweaking synths.

but for doing it all with a single box, my choice is Command Station.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
1. grooveboxes
2. grooveboxes
3. Squarp Pyramid

my current live rig is (warning: it's on the big side! not just a couple of boxes):
1. Pyramid
2. either Novation Nova Laptop or DSI Tetra — leads, basslines
3. Blofeld — pads, drones, partially drums.
4. Electribe 2 (synth) — drums, supplementary sounds.
5. Zoom LiveTrak L-12 to mix 'em all
6. input devices: Launchpad Pro for playing & Arturia Beatstep for tweaking synths.

but for doing it all with a single box, my choice is Command Station.
best groovebox in your opinion?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
best groovebox in your opinion?
the answer depends.
1) whether you need sampling capabilities or not
2) whether you need polymeters support or not

if you need sampling — then RS7000, or Roland MC-808 / MC-909, or probably Akai MPC-1000. but my knowledge of those is limited, and i never owned any of them.

if you don't need sampling — then Command Stations are the best IMO (despite they do not support polymeters properly — but there's an arpeggiator workaround), or probably RS7000 (if you don't need sampling, you can just not use it, but RS7000 is super cool anyway).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Word.

Here's what I think (remember that it was $free):

* unfortunately there is no single, simple, obvious, answer that will definitely meet your needs, much less one that's what you want and is inexpensive.

If there was we'd all have one. Seriously. It's a tough topic, and without exaggerating - there are probably 50 or more ways to accomplish this with off the shelf modern gear, too, so there are probably 100 right answers, and many of these boxes are created and positioned such that direct comparisons are a pain in the ass. It's annoying.

* which one(s) end up working for *you* will be decided by the nitty gritty details of each piece, your budget, your specific wants down to the number of outs, does it need built in FX, how many samples do you need to screw with (2 one shots per song, or 36 4bar loops x 12 songs, or...), and on and on, how many pads, touch screen ok?, etc...

Here are some common suggestions to consider:

- Akai MPC1000
-- Akai MPC Live
-- 1010 Blackbox
-- Synthstrom Deluge

And if those won't work for you, why won't they?

We can start narrowing down the ocean of choices by ruling some out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You can't really be vague about this subject and nobody can really tell you what's best for you unless they know exactly what you want to accomplish. I'd find an artist that does similar things to what you want to do and use what they're using.

"Projects" leads me to believe a computer is involved already. In that case, APC, Push etc. the usual suspects with an SP303 on the side to fill in the gaps.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Since this is so vague, I’d suggest any singular or combo use of a Machinedrum UW, Octatrack, and/or MPC, but first and foremost a time machine so you can go back far enough in time to learn to use them for your upcoming gig. Barring that, I’d focus on trying to use what you currently have to pull the gig off, and then buying hardware that will enable you to do the next one in the way you’d like.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Since this is so vague, I’d suggest any singular or combo use of a Machinedrum UW, Octatrack, and/or MPC, but first and foremost a time machine so you can go back far enough in time to learn to use them for your upcoming gig. Barring that, I’d focus on trying to use what you currently have to pull the gig off, and then buying hardware that will enable you to do the next one in the way you’d like.
appreciate the feedbacks i was trying to be vague to get different options. im not using a computer with this setup. im interested in sequencing hardware and sampling, id say sampling/loops perhaps a bit more.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
appreciate the feedbacks i was trying to be vague to get different options. im not using a computer with this setup. im interested in sequencing hardware and sampling, id say sampling/loops perhaps a bit more.
An MPC1000 or newer will do what you're after. Load your loops in via USB then assign them to pads and play away.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
An MPC1000 or newer will do what you're after. Load your loops in via USB then assign them to pads and play away.
Agree with that but like most bits of kit likely to be of use, OP would require longer than the time available before the gig. Left it a bit late I think.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
anything cheaper?
Your phone & a midi keyboard
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

depending on how many loops and how long they are, the Roland TR-8S might work for you. it's supposed to hold 600 seconds worth of samples. if that'll work you won't find a much better piece of gear to use for live performance, with its built-in mixer and fx. running an MPC-1000 alongside it would be even better.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapro View Post
Agree with that but like most bits of kit likely to be of use, OP would require longer than the time available before the gig. Left it a bit late I think.
Yeah, not the sort of thing that should be left so late
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search