The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Audio interface with lots of line inputs?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Audio interface with lots of line inputs?

Hi

I’m thinking of buying the Roland Studio Capture to replace my Focusrite 18i8. I need at least 16 line inputs and at least 6 regular outputs. Don’t need more than 1 mic pre amp, so I was wondering if there is any (cheaper?) alternative?

Or should I go the multitrack mixer route? It does need to have good audio quality recording capabilities.

Any suggestions?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Presonus Quantum maybe? I’m not sure how many inputs offers though, but at least it’s newer than roland one, and latency pretty impressive
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Behringer UMC1820 + ADA8200 = 16 ins, 18 outs.

About $400 for both. Had them for 2 years now, was very happy with it - rockstable drivers on MacOs and Windows.

Will go for an X32 now, as 16 ins are not enough anymore.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

MOTU 16A or Tascam Multitrack mixer is your best options imo..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Behringer xr18 fits the bill perfectly
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Behringer 1604ufx
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thnx for your suggestions.

How are the behringers in terms of sound quality? And latency?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
Behringer xr18 fits the bill perfectly
Did some research and this might become my next interface, coupled with an X-touch pretty impressed with its features!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hmm now I’m also considering the x32 producer... not much more expensive than the xr18 + x-touch combo and it can do the same plus a lot more! And double the inputs/outputs, or am I missing something?
Old 2 weeks ago
DGL
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
Hmm now I’m also considering the x32 producer... not much more expensive than the xr18 + x-touch combo and it can do the same plus a lot more! And double the inputs/outputs, or am I missing something?
To get the full i/o with the X32 producer you need one the stageboxes (or 2 if you go for the 8 input version).
Iirc you get 16+6 inputs on the mixer itself.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi

I’m thinking of buying the Roland Studio Capture to replace my Focusrite 18i8. I need at least 16 line inputs and at least 6 regular outputs. Don’t need more than 1 mic pre amp, so I was wondering if there is any (cheaper?) alternative?

Or should I go the multitrack mixer route? It does need to have good audio quality recording capabilities.

Any suggestions?
You could just ADAT another interface to your 18i8, like an 18i20 or Octopre.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

I’m in a similar situation in terms of needing more inputs for recording. Have you considered the Soundcraft UI24r? It’s currently top of my list with 20 inputs. Version 3 update has also added new features including the ability to link two units together. Worth a look.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

what do people think of the Cymatic Audio uTrack24 ?
compact and runs as standalone.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...audio-utrack24

eh: more info here. D-sub outputs and other stuff:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cymatic-utrack-24
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

RME something plus ADAT interfaces.

The RME Digiface USB is quite a "bargain" as far as RME stuff goes, just a little USB box with 4 ADAT in and out ports. 32 channels in and 34 out (2 are the built-in headphone amp). You then get the top notch RME drivers.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_digifa...8f7ff13e763663

RME Raydat is the next step up if you can accommodate a PCI Express card.

ADAT boxes can be anything from Behringer ADA8000 upwards, available for peanuts second hand.

Decoupling the computer side from the AD/DA makes sense to me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi

Any suggestions?
I just upgraded from my Focusrite 18i8 to a Roland Studio Capture and I LOVE it and can't recommend it highly enough. I thought the Focusrite had good converters but the Roland sounds even better, nice and clean without being too bright, it' warm, it's clean, it's the best audio interface I've ever owned.

I commented on fiddlestickz mixer topic that between my Focusrite and the Roland I had the Signature 22MTK.
It's a wonderful analog mixer, but I constantly felt like what I was hearing from the Signature audio interface was not what I was hearing when I played it back on my other desktop with my other Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, as well as when I played it back from a burned cd through my Onkyo cd player.

I don't think the audio interface the Signature 22MTK uses is anywhere near as good the Roland is.

I never thought of Roland for an audio interface, they don't get much attention like the big boys or even the middle echelon interfaces like the 18i8.

And unlike how Focusrite and other manufacturers advertise the number of inputs, with the Roland you actually get 12 inputs, not 6 or 8 and the others they advertise are for ADAT or digital.
I have 3 stereo synth inputs hooked up, 2 mono synths, a guitar input and one for vocals and have 2 left over. I also like that it has XLR outputs for monitors. Check out some YTube videos and reviews, plus Sweetwater reviews and they are all very positive.

With regard to the Soundcraft mixer comments please see my comment here: Multitrack mixers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I read that some users have problems with latency with the XR18. It will have to function as my main interface for my DAW as well, so playing softsynths etc should work with very low latency.

How does this mixer/interface compare to dedicated interfaces (like focusrite) in terms of latency?

And what about sound quality? Is it studio grade quality? I see it only samples at 48 kHz?

Maybe I’d go for the Roland Studio Capture after all.. the downside of that is it is a pretty old beast already. And I will be maxed out in inputs immediately. A few more inputs are very welcome..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe I’d go for the Roland Studio Capture after all.. the downside of that is it is a pretty old beast already. And I will be maxed out in inputs immediately. A few more inputs are very welcome..
Are Roland to be trusted with ongoing driver support? RME seem like the best bet in that department.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Are Roland to be trusted with ongoing driver support? RME seem like the best bet in that department.
The RME digiface route seems like a good idea too. But need to look into good ADAT interfaces.. Does it make a difference in terms of latency which ADAT you connect?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Roland updated the driver to be Windows 10 compatible, plus it's not like the Studio Capture isn't being sold new anymore. I bought mine from Sweetwater earlier this year.
I don't see them not supporting it, and I don't understand why there would be a question that a company as large as Roland with a lot of professional users wouldn't continue supporting one of it's products.

I also don't think 6 or 7 years is that long to make a piece of equipment like this outdated.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
I don't see them not supporting it, and I don't understand why there would be a question that a company as large as Roland with a lot of professional users wouldn't continue supporting one of it's products.
They've stopped driver support for a bunch of their devices and I'll never understand why their devices are still not USB class compilant
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The RME digiface route seems like a good idea too. But need to look into good ADAT interfaces.. Does it make a difference in terms of latency which ADAT you connect?
I think there are very slight differences in latency between ADAT boxes (the A/D and D/A) but the bulk of any latency will be from the RME drivers/interface and they seem to have the best track record.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
what do people think of the Cymatic Audio uTrack24 ?
compact and runs as standalone.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...audio-utrack24

eh: more info here. D-sub outputs and other stuff:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cymatic-utrack-24
This looks cool but I don't like snakes or having to patch cables into other cables, I like to be able to go straight into a mixer or interface, one more connection means one more place noise starts or a connection fails.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes.. the x32 has xlr vs combo inputs, and requires an additional card to be a multi channel audio interface
FWIW, an old iPad or android tablet is all that is needed as a control surface...you can demo the app..
X touch does have other uses if you are daw centric tho
Quote:
Old 2 weeks ago
DGL
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
Yes.. the x32 has xlr vs combo inputs, and requires an additional card to be a multi channel audio interface
FWIW, an old iPad or android tablet is all that is needed as a control surface...you can demo the app..
X touch does have other uses if you are daw centric tho
No extra card required to be a multi-channel audio interface on the X/M32 series as there is one fitted from the factory, use the X-Live card in place of the supplied USB AI and you can do direct to SD card recording as well, inc. still having a USB AI which can be used at the same time as the SD card multitrack recorder.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok, I think I will go the Roland Studio Capture + X-touch route. I've been thinking of simply adding an ADAT interface to my Focusrite 18i8, but this will force me to use 48kHz in order to get 8 more input channels and my experience with its driver is not that good. With the Roland I have 16 inputs of 96 kHz and also more TRS line outputs. And I can probably sell the 18i8 for about 200€, So won't be that much more expensive to go the Roland route. Also I read that people find the Roland to be better sounding and have lower latency.

Although the Behringer's (X18/XR18/X32 producer) look like great value, I'm afraid the recording quality (48 kHz max) and round trip latency from input through DAW to output will be too high, since I see a lot of people complaining about that. Especially the X18/XR18 seems to be more suited for live sound than for DAW centric studio recordings with using a lot of plugins and VST instruments. But I'd like to hear anyone with different experience.

RME with good ADAT interfaces will cost me probably double than a Roland Studio Capture and I doubt it will be that much better.

Thanks all for your help. Any more suggestions or advice is still welcome, will probably order within a couple of days.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Don't get hung up on 96K - after an epic thread here earlier this year, I moved from 96K to 48K and not only can I not notice any difference (as the physics said would happen), but I get even better latency.

I have an RME UFX (12 inputs, I paid 900 quid second hand) and expand that over ADAT with a Ulinger ADA8200 that cost about 120 quid new. The Ulinger sounds terrible compared to the RME, but then a lot of old kit sounds pretty terrible anyway so I'm not missing anything, plus I'm not recording Kenny G / Steely Dan's new album

I still need about another 4 inputs to get fully comfortable, but rather than add another ADAT interface I might buy a mixer. TBH I miss a physical mixer and riding the faders to make music ... if you have 8-12 inputs, then a mixer with a bunch of sub-group outputs, you are laughing ... people would have killed for that flexibility in the mid 90s!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Although the Behringer's (X18/XR18/X32 producer) look like great value, I'm afraid the recording quality (48 kHz max) and round trip latency from input through DAW to output will be too high, since I see a lot of people complaining about that.
FWIW recording at rates higher than 48k is total waste in pretty much every situation unless you are really sloppy about the signal strength of your incoming signals and need crazy adjustments in post. All it's is doing is creating larger data streams and bigger files leading to more latency.

The thing about the X-series mixers, and this goes for the the Soundcraft. Zoom, and Tascam multitrack mixers as well is that they are first and foremost live sound mixers that also do double duty as an interface.

The intended purpose of them is to record live shows and live music and drop multiple tracks all at once to some type of flash media or DAW/laptop via USB.

If your needs are heavily based in a computer you will be better served witha dedicated interface
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Don't get hung up on 96K - after an epic thread here earlier this year, I moved from 96K to 48K and not only can I not notice any difference (as the physics said would happen), but I get even better latency.

I have an RME UFX (12 inputs, I paid 900 quid second hand) and expand that over ADAT with a Ulinger ADA8200 that cost about 120 quid new. The Ulinger sounds terrible compared to the RME, but then a lot of old kit sounds pretty terrible anyway so I'm not missing anything, plus I'm not recording Kenny G / Steely Dan's new album

I still need about another 4 inputs to get fully comfortable, but rather than add another ADAT interface I might buy a mixer. TBH I miss a physical mixer and riding the faders to make music ... if you have 8-12 inputs, then a mixer with a bunch of sub-group outputs, you are laughing ... people would have killed for that flexibility in the mid 90s!
Why not choose to add a DAW controller instead of a mixer? With most mixers you don't have the possibility to recall all settings or you have to manually save/recall a scene. With ITB mixing you just load your project and you're done. With the X-touch, it feels pretty much the same as having a real mixer.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
FWIW recording at rates higher than 48k is total waste in pretty much every situation unless you are really sloppy about the signal strength of your incoming signals and need crazy adjustments in post. All it's is doing is creating larger data streams and bigger files leading to more latency.

The thing about the X-series mixers, and this goes for the the Soundcraft. Zoom, and Tascam multitrack mixers as well is that they are first and foremost live sound mixers that also do double duty as an interface.

The intended purpose of them is to record live shows and live music and drop multiple tracks all at once to some type of flash media or DAW/laptop via USB.

If your needs are heavily based in a computer you will be better served witha dedicated interface
Yeah, so for me the 'mixer-face' option is just not the best option.

Leaves me with the Focusrite + ADAT (@ 48 kHz) vs Roland Studio Capture.

Maybe you're right and I shouldn't focus too much on 96 kHz recording.. But I think it even lowers the latency for my setup, because of the bigger sample rates.
Will do some testing tonight with heavy CPU load. If I have to increase the buffer with 96 kHz to avoid underruns, I might be better off with 48 kHz indeed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why not choose to add a DAW controller instead of a mixer? With most mixers you don't have the possibility to recall all settings or you have to manually save/recall a scene. With ITB mixing you just load your project and you're done. With the X-touch, it feels pretty much the same as having a real mixer.
That's a good idea, but I still do need more inputs - 3 drum machines with loads of individual outs needs them, but I could solve that with a patch bay as well!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search