The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Live sampling with RC 202
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Live sampling with RC 202

Hi guys I am very tempted to get a Rc202 to replace my Kp3+ mostly because of effects.
I read the manual but I didn't find an answer to a crucial question I need to know.
Can I just dial a bpm manually so that the looper stops recording and immediately plays back the loop at the right bpm?
That's the way I use my Kp3.
Or at least, if I have to push stop, does Rc202 stops at the exact end of the bpm bar and keep all in sync?

Regarding the effects, is it the same quality of Sp404 or at least similar?

So I need to know if I can use Rc202 this way:
1 manually dialing bpm
2 start recording
3 having the loop in perfect sync with the bpm I dialed
4 opening an effect and tweaking it live.

Does Rc202 match this workflow?
Old 2 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
I have one, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes to all this, you tap the tempo in or enter it in with a knob I believe.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
I have one, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes to all this, you tap the tempo in or enter it in with a knob I believe.
Good yes I read about that on the manual.
But does it stop at the right time in bpm sync?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I honestly hate this thing. You can't have different track lengths like the RC505.

You have to push stop and if you do it early it will time stretch your loop to fit. It's ugly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I honestly hate this thing. You can't have different track lengths like the RC505.

You have to push stop and if you do it early it will time stretch your loop to fit. It's ugly.
No problem for that. i always make same tracks lengths.
What about the effects?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
No problem for that. i always make same tracks lengths.
What about the effects?
Same as in RC505 & SP404 etc.

But I'd think about the track lengths, it means you can't:

Have a 2 bar loop on track 1 and a 4 bar loop on track 2.

Might not seem like a big deal but you'd be surprised how much that limits what you can do with it. If you can spend more, get the RC505.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same as in RC505 & SP404 etc.

But I'd think about the track lengths, it means you can't:

Have a 2 bar loop on track 1 and a 4 bar loop on track 2.

Might not seem like a big deal but you'd be surprised how much that limits what you can do with it. If you can spend more, get the RC505.
I need something small.
With Kp3, I always loop at same length (4 bars) and so I am used to that.
What I actually need is a fast looping workflow, something that needs the less buttons pushing possible and stays always in sync with the bpm.
That's what I need to know, the manual is not clear about that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I need something small.
With Kp3, I always loop at same length (4 bars) and so I am used to that.
What I actually need is a fast looping workflow, something that needs the less buttons pushing possible and stays always in sync with the bpm.
That's what I need to know, the manual is not clear about that.
Yes it stays in sync. That's the only way it works.

Always 2 button pushes. One to start looping and one to finish it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes it stays in sync. That's the only way it works.

Always 2 button pushes. One to start looping and one to finish it.
Cool.
So if you push the finish button just before the end of the bar, it quantizes the end to sync to bpm?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool.
So if you push the finish button just before the end of the bar, it quantizes the end to sync to bpm?
Yeah, you actually can't turn time stretch off either which annoys me a lot.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, you actually can't turn time stretch off either which annoys me a lot.
I see.
So it timestretches everything to keep all in sync.
That's curious.
It's different from the usual loopers.
Do you feel this as a good or bad feature when you use it?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see.
So it timestretches everything to keep all in sync.
That's curious.
It's different from the usual loopers.
Do you feel this as a good or bad feature when you use it?
It's ok. As long as you're tight with start/finish you don't hear too much timestretch. Just the fact that there is no option to disable it is what's annoying and also that it's not mentioned in the manual or the specs whatsoever.

Like I said, I hate this thing. It's just so limited for performance, but if all you need is BPM sync'd 4 bar loops well it's kind of perfect for that. If you are planning to sync it to MIDI clock, that works but it's much better as a master than a slave.

I keep it around because of the goofy FX.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's ok. As long as you're tight with start/finish you don't hear too much timestretch. Just the fact that there is no option to disable it is what's annoying and also that it's not mentioned in the manual or the specs whatsoever.

Like I said, I hate this thing. It's just so limited for performance, but if all you need is BPM sync'd 4 bar loops well it's kind of perfect for that. If you are planning to sync it to MIDI clock, that works but it's much better as a master than a slave.

I keep it around because of the goofy FX.
Well no, I would like to make more bar loops, this is why I want to upgrade from KP3 which is limited to 4 bars.
And I am not gonna use midi clock, just dial bpm manually.
Old 2 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
It can do as much as many bars as you want, it's just all loops are the same length as the first recording. It's not like a workstation, I use it to capture vocal loops to turn into choruses and the effects.. is good for that and I like it. It's a great day looper but is not crazy advanced.. moonwhistle is right it's not like a loop workstation, is basically like one loop you can add to as much as you want or take parts away. It's allot like there boss pedal Loopers but better to me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
It can do as much as many bars as you want, it's just all loops are the same length as the first recording. It's not like a workstation, I use it to capture vocal loops to turn into choruses and the effects.. is good for that and I like it. It's a great day looper but is not crazy advanced.. moonwhistle is right it's not like a loop workstation, is basically like one loop you can add to as much as you want or take parts away. It's allot like there boss pedal Loopers but better to me.
Yeah I'm mostly using it for vocals/FX too.

The only thing I really wish for on it is the individual track lengths. I often like to start something with a short phrase like 1/2 bar stuff, then record an 8 bar loop to that. I kinda just wish it was an actual 2 track 505 because not everybody needs something that massive and that many tracks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I'm mostly using it for vocals/FX too.

The only thing I really wish for on it is the individual track lengths. I often like to start something with a short phrase like 1/2 bar stuff, then record an 8 bar loop to that. I kinda just wish it was an actual 2 track 505 because not everybody needs something that massive and that many tracks.
I just saw some tutorials on youtube where the 2nd track is double length of the first.
So you can have different lengths.
The only painful thing I noticed on these tutorials is that fx editing is a bit uncomfortable to make live.
For example, can you edit the fx before looping so you just have to raise the knob when you want?
Can you save a general effects setting as a template?
Or you have to do it manually every time?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just saw some tutorials on youtube where the 2nd track is double length of the first.
So you can have different lengths.
The only painful thing I noticed on these tutorials is that fx editing is a bit uncomfortable to make live.
For example, can you edit the fx before looping so you just have to raise the knob when you want?
Can you save a general effects setting as a template?
Or you have to do it manually every time?
You can edit the fx before looping. Turning them on and off is a little clunky with hitting buttons and turning knobs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search