The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Question about basses / sub basses
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Question about basses / sub basses

Is there a rule of thumb up to what frequency i should keep my sounds in mono? (especially if i want it to sound good on dancefloors where they have mono speakers)

So far i kept the frequency area from 0hz to around 200hz in mono and if i wanted a stereo bass i only spreaded the frequencies above that..

what do you guys do?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'm usually is careful with stereo below ~300 hz, and do pretty much the same as you do with ~200 hz and down.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

A good rule of thumb would be crossover frequencies for subwoofers which are typically around 120Hz. It does not hurt to go a bit higher though, 200Hz as is being mentioned. And cautiously monitoring what's happening higher up doesn't hurt either.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein fisch View Post
Is there a rule of thumb up to what frequency i should keep my sounds in mono? (especially if i want it to sound good on dancefloors where they have mono speakers)

So far i kept the frequency area from 0hz to around 200hz in mono and if i wanted a stereo bass i only spreaded the frequencies above that..

what do you guys do?
modern solid state amplifiers don't act below 20hz.

bit of useless information for you.

you will beable to get harmonic overtones however from things under the 20hz going over as an end result.

Last edited by Preston135; 2 weeks ago at 02:14 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

thanks for all the replies..

i still wonder how the lithuania youtube channel consists only of tracks that have a ****load of bass in them, but they are all wide asf

skip to 1:20

this for example.. or am i hallucinating? to me the low area sounds extremely wide. would that track sound ****ty on dancefloors?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

The song is mostly mono.
After importing the song into Fl studio and playing with ''Fruity Stereo Shaper'', by turning right off, and copy left to right, then spam the FX on & off, the whole track sounded almost exactly the same. Well mixed imo, for dancefloors.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirusAndSpamBin View Post
The song is mostly mono.
After importing the song into Fl studio and playing with ''Fruity Stereo Shaper'', by turning right off, and copy left to right, then spam the FX on & off, the whole track sounded almost exactly the same. Well mixed imo, for dancefloors.
Are u sure about that? I did the same, loaded it into my daw and made it mono, and i could tell a clear difference
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Ah, I hear it now, like the transition areas. I only did a quick check around the 1:20 mark stuff, which sounded okay to me, but the stuff in between did change, like 2:13 area. I was a bit tunnel-visioning on the 1:20 stuff since that seemed to be in question.

I guess the only tip I can give, is to check your sounds in mono, then see if it sounds good enough.

Also, the difference, do drunk people on dancefloors care that much?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

i still wonder how the lithuania youtube channel consists only of tracks that have a ****load of bass in them, but they are all wide asf

this for example.. or am i hallucinating? to me the low area sounds extremely wide. would that track sound ****ty on dancefloors?
vocaly bits don't cut through very well imo.
sawy bit was a bit wide, i wouldn't say the bassline was low, but was loud. perhaps it sounds bassy to you as the higher end is lower (in volume)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I actually subjected myself to that track just to check - one of the worst remixes of Temperature I've ever come across. Speaking as a DJ...

There's not a ****load of bass in that track. In fact it's rather mild compared to most stuff I mix in a club. The kick is what would be most prominent through club subs, and it's well centered. There's a bit of synth bass that hits the 4 at times (since Temperature is in Bb that would be Eb or just below 40hz) and it sounds like it's either slightly chorused or maybe just two detuned oscillators. It swims a bit, but listening through phones the low frequency content is the same in both channels.

So if this is the sound you're after, you'd be good.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

not sure if we are all talking about the same bassline.. i was only referring to the one playing at 1:20, and that one is clearly wide. i agree that the rest of the track is **** and mostly mono basses

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search