The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
turning synths on/off with a power strip
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

turning synths on/off with a power strip

i found various threads which seem to agree that it's fine, but most mention pure analog gear with rocker switches. my question is more for digital synths or something like a monologue. do these have "shut down processes" that are interfered with by turning the device off with a power strip switch? i know turning a computer off this way is bad. my new setup at my new place makes it a little difficult to turn everything on individually but i'd rather be safe than sorry and ask first. appreciate any input!
Old 2 weeks ago
Some units require the power-down routine to store everything correctly - e.g. my Zoom Q3 HD recorder. I had to learn that the hard way - lost a live performance recording that way.
I'm not sure about synths though...

Cheers,
Bert
Old 2 weeks ago
I turn all my synths off with a power bars because they just have a simple switch. My qupac mixer has a shutdown process in it's menu / home screen so it gets turned on via a bar, but if I use its shutdown process before clicking the bar off.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feinstrom View Post
Some units require the power-down routine to store everything correctly - e.g. my Zoom Q3 HD recorder. I had to learn that the hard way - lost a live performance recording that way.
I'm not sure about synths though...

Cheers,
Bert
i guess my question is more how do you know which synths / hardware require a power down routine ? is the only way to find out by "learning the hard way" ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Maybe it's mentioned in the manual.
My best guess is that if you store/save/secure/whatever everything before powering down, you should be safe. In my experience since 1985 this kind of mem ory loss only happened to me once.
But don't quote me on that - better rely on someone who knows better.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Newer, more software-oriented hardware instruments may need a more proper shutdown routine. E.g. those with soft power buttons, shutdown routines shown on-screen, or delayed power down after flipping the switch.

Older analog hardware should be fine, provided the power strip/conditioner interrupts power properly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Since I'm usually turning on several synths at the same time, I've used the power strip method for years (decades actually). I usually have a MIDI chain (and S/P DIF) from one synth to the next, so having them all come on at once doesn't interrupt that chain, where as turning them on separately can muck up a connection. Some units, like my Virus TI and Alesis NanoBass, don't even have power switches.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search