The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland D50 "Data Transfer" Button NOT Working
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Roland D50 "Data Transfer" Button NOT Working

Hello, I was recently given a D50 that was passed down from my uncle, but after changing the battery out, the factory presets are gone. I knew that was going to happen, but now I'm in the process of putting them back on with SysEx Librarian. I made all the changes in Tune/Function and MIDI, and connected it to my MIDI box and computer and the sysex file loaded up, but when I press "Data Transfer" nothing happens. Even after the Data Transfer and 0 while powering it on. Did I make a mistake in setting it up, or is it a Hardware issue? I know the midi cable is fine because it works on my other synths.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I can’t find it now, but there is a video on YouTube that shows you how to force transfer - try that
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I couldn't find anything about Force Transerring to the D50 :(
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkapc3 View Post
I couldn't find anything about Force Transerring to the D50 :(
Years upon years ago I was able to do it using Midi Ox.
http://www.midiox.com/
Can't remember the process tho.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You can read the correct procedure to send the sysex to the D-50 at the bottom of the D-50 page on my website here: http://synthmania.com/d-50.htm

When setting up the D-50 to receive the sysex data: MAKE SURE YOU HOLD DOWN THE "DATA TRANSFER" button when you press "(B.LOAD)". Then you can release the two buttons and finally press "ENTER". If you don't keep the "DATA TRANSFER" button pressed at the same time, the bulk load won't work. Finally, sometimes the D-50 will freeze after completing the data transfer. Not to worry. Just turn it off and on again, and it will go back to normal, with the new patches you just loaded in memory ready to play.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
You can read the correct procedure to send the sysex to the D-50 at the bottom of the D-50 page on my website here: http://synthmania.com/d-50.htm

When setting up the D-50 to receive the sysex data: MAKE SURE YOU HOLD DOWN THE "DATA TRANSFER" button when you press "(B.LOAD)". Then you can release the two buttons and finally press "ENTER". If you don't keep the "DATA TRANSFER" button pressed at the same time, the bulk load won't work. Finally, sometimes the D-50 will freeze after completing the data transfer. Not to worry. Just turn it off and on again, and it will go back to normal, with the new patches you just loaded in memory ready to play.
I do that, but the Data Transfer does nothing when I hold it down. The menu with "B.LOAD" doesn't come up
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Here's a video I took showing my situation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHjsftjDDtA
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The tactile switch is probably dirty or bad, or a solder joint is bad. This is common in D-50s due to their age.

Opening it up and spraying the switch with Deoxit might help, or you might have to replace the switch.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks like you might have a bad "DATA TRANSFER" button. You should get this menu when you press it:

Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
The tactile switch is probably dirty or bad, or a solder joint is bad. This is common in D-50s due to their age.

Opening it up and spraying the switch with Deoxit might help, or you might have to replace the switch.
I can probably do it. But I don't know which one it could be when I open it up, any pictures anywhere showing where it is at on the board?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ok, after a few more tries, I magically managed to get the menu to come up. I just pushed Data Transfer a little harder. I'm sending the SysEx to the D50, but now it's just sitting on "Waiting" and not moving onto "Loading".
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If it sits in "Waiting" and not moving onto Loading, it's not receiving the sysex data. Check the MIDI channel, check that the MIDI cable is making full contact to the D-50's MIDI In (some MIDI cable plastic jackets are too long/thick and don't make a good contact), check the settings on the app that you're using to send the sysex from
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There's two types of data transfer on the D-50. One type uses some sort of 2 way handshake so it won't work with a simple sysex dump. From what I've read, you have to hold down Data Transfer when selecting the B.Load option so it shows Bulk Load.0 on the display, to get the version without the handshake. Then it should work.

I've also found the D-50 is a bit fussy about transfer speeds and buffer sizes. Some USB MIDI interfaces wouldn't work at all when I tried. You may have to play around with that if the transfers fail.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
I've also found the D-50 is a bit fussy about transfer speeds and buffer sizes. Some USB MIDI interfaces wouldn't work at all when I tried. You may have to play around with that if the transfers fail.
That is true but if he's getting the "Waiting" screen and it never does anything, it is not receiving the sysex stream. If the buffer speed from the sender is set too high, the D-50 will respond with "MIDI Communication Error". If it doesn't do anything but sits there, it's not seeing the sysex coming in.
Old 2 weeks ago
As I recall you can just send sysex out to the D-50 and it will work just like that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I bought a M-Audio Midisport 1x1 because I saw that it officially worked on the D50, but I actually got it work using the midi output on my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6!! :D So everything is good and I got all the patches. I just need to clean it and check the parts because I still have to it a few buttons pretty hard to get them to work.

Thanks for all of your helps guys!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkapc3 View Post
I bought a M-Audio Midisport 1x1 because I saw that it officially worked on the D50, but I actually got it work using the midi output on my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6!! :D So everything is good and I got all the patches. I just need to clean it and check the parts because I still have to it a few buttons pretty hard to get them to work.

Thanks for all of your helps guys!
Great news and enjoy, I still love mine after all these years.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search