The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Creative use of a Machine Drum (recent Sonic Lab guest)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Creative use of a Machine Drum (recent Sonic Lab guest)

This fellow named Joseph Hyde was a guest on Nick's show, and I happened to stumble upon it.

Nice guy, clever approach, cool jams.

Never seen any one use a Machine Drum that way. Respect for knowing the machine and making it work for you, standard practices be damned, and doing something interesting in a live performance with very little kit. It's inspiring, gear/approach wise.

(Never met either of these guys, no affiliation, just interesting enough to share and discuss.)

The guys website is www.josephhyde.co.uk

Discuss.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Live tuning the FM drums using p locks on the Machinedrum is precisely what I do with mine. I never keep a sequence, I just re program live, and the md itself just serves as an extra layer on top of a more predictable line coming from my MPC, which the MD receives clock from. What’s more I have the md running directly through a KP3, and there are effects built in to the mixer, so I do a similar thing with effects in that chain. It’s totally brilliant... don’t know what I would do without the md.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Live tuning the FM drums using p locks on the Machinedrum is precisely what I do with mine. I never keep a sequence, I just re program live, and the md itself just serves as an extra layer on top of a more predictable line coming from my MPC, which the MD receives clock from. What’s more I have the md running directly through a KP3, and there are effects built in to the mixer, so I do a similar thing with effects in that chain. It’s totally brilliant... don’t know what I would do without the md.
No sh!t, eh? Right on. It never occurred to me. My only Machine Drum face time is one friend's who always uses it for straight percussion sounds.

This makes one very interesting in whole new ways.
Old 2 weeks ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

i would say its standard use of a Machindrum as thats what elektron gear does or allows and many use it this way but where the guys got some talent is in his ability to firstly limited what he is using and second his ability to work minimal sound but sound that has something that engages

minimalism is actually very hard as it takes a certain frame of mind or trust and you have to deliberately leave out , limit etc and focus and naturally most artists reach for ' more ' content in their compositions in the same way many seek ' more ' gear to kind of fill a hole thats really called ' lack of creative focus ' with what they have.

The trick here is not the gear he is using , not his technique , its his mentality toward minimal sound and finding simple sounds that can keep the listener engaged and his ability to do that , needs a minimal mind , mental focus and also a lot of zen thinking .

less is more unless more is more ,theres no rules but this video is about the psychology of minimalism and creativity more than about gear.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Alternative Tread Title:

Bignatius Finally Learns Why People Like the Machine Drum.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Seeing things like this makes me hope Elektron eventually releases a Model: Drums that is a stripped down version of this. I was tapped out when they stopped production and blew out the remaining MD's. I would really like a second chance at one.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

From the moderation i was ready to listen to a orchestral masterpiece coming from a cigarbox, just to get grounded to hear minimal out of an elektron device.

Its a good piece, well played, props to the guy. But certainly not as out of the ordinary as the hype suggested
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
I think I already talked about this with you, but using a channel of the MD to sequence the KP3 is one of my favorite things. I step sequence the Pad Touch parameter to turn it on and off on different steps, and use random MD LFOs to modulate the X & Y parameters of the KP3. I typically tend to stick to the loopers on the KP3 to create randomized fills, but you can take it even further and p-lock program change too. It turns the KP3 into something kinda like a hardware version of dBlue Glitch or Effectrix.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
From the moderation i was ready to listen to a orchestral masterpiece coming from a cigarbox, just to get grounded to hear minimal out of an elektron device.

Its a good piece, well played, props to the guy. But certainly not as out of the ordinary as the hype suggested
Hype?

I simply called it a "creative use of a MD".
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I’m not sure they needed to talk about it for 20 minutes before he played a single note of music. He said that he played the gig in a 300 year old underground crypt in the heart of London. I think something may have been lost in translation, as I was less than impressed listening to the track at my desk in an office in the DC suburbs.

Still want a new Machinedrum, though
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Hype?

I meant the moderation and talk in the video.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I meant the moderation and talk in the video.
Oh, right on.
Old 2 weeks ago
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Hype?

the video was a bit hyped , its how 99% of people use the machinedrum really . felt a bit like someone letting everyone know what a lot already do , how the machinedrum can work and was designed to work.

Is a new Machinedrum coming out ? hype them prices time .......

The minimal technique was worth sharing but the idea was kind of given this guys working in a way no one else ever has or is and that reads as hype as its not reality and why people are saying what they are

i can see the event and crypt reverb played a part on the ' wow ' factor and also the guys talented at minimal use of gear but ' creative use of machinedrum ' ? i would say 98% of people use one like this as thats why people dont buy a Tr8 and buy elektron gear.

Nice video all the same , it reminded me of mentality and minimalism and how key that is and also working strong sounds rather than tons of weak sounds and this notion more sound per track is more .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search