The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
volca output solutions ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

volca output solutions ?

ongoing thinking about how to handle volca outputs, with a limited number of inputs.

Sample is stereo so that's ok, FM has stereo Chorus but would otherwise be mono(?). but the old ones have 'split mono', 50/50 on either side, on a stereo jack, as i understand it, so you only get 50% amplitude if you only plug one side in.(?) - so it seems a bit extravagant to give 2 channels for a mono signal.

what's the solution? say if you have a little 1202 mixer etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

*remembers little Monarch 8:2 mono/stereo battery/9v thing...
could use that to sum up to 4 to mono, times 2, in 'stereo' mode (which is only individual controls for each side anyway).

or i wondered about a simple passive summing circuit that could be switched in,
to convert 2x 50% mono to 1x 100% mono. have seen a couple a versions discussed, what is the proper way? so, i suppose a little plastic case with some recycled RCA L/R strips (4 pairs), taking mini-stereo to 2xRCA cables, with mono 1/4" jacks on the output side. little bypass circuit x (eg:4) and switches. preferably a circuit with no signal loss, quick diy job.

?

other possibilities?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

TS to 3.5 mm TRS Mono ....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068O3E...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
don't think so: that's mono to a stereo pair. you can't send 2 mono signals into a Y-cable, for example; it's a splitter, rather than a 'joiner'.

there has to be a couple of components. i'll have a look for the stuff i found.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

the answer is here:

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

seen this before.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
don't think so: that's mono to a stereo pair. you can't send 2 mono signals into a Y-cable, for example; it's a splitter, rather than a 'joiner'.

there has to be a couple of components. i'll have a look for the stuff i found.
Used them no problem since the first Volca came out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
Used them no problem since the first Volca came out.
maybe the impedance range is ok if the incoming signal is 2 x50%, as opposed to 2x 100%.

but it's bad practice according to that link i posted. there's a schematic on how to make a passive summing mixer with 2x 470 ohm resistors in line and a 10k to (ground?) - so what is that doing? attenuating the signal ? (which is already at 50%..)
Old 3 weeks ago
Castline USA makes the proper summing cables to use for this:
https://www.castlineusa.com/index.ph...with-resistors
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
maybe the impedance range is ok if the incoming signal is 2 x50%, as opposed to 2x 100%.

but it's bad practice according to that link i posted. there's a schematic on how to make a passive summing mixer with 2x 470 ohm resistors in line and a 10k to (ground?) - so what is that doing? attenuating the signal ? (which is already at 50%..)
i've seen people fear mongering over this with the volcas since they were released. there's even dedicated websites. yet i've never heard anyone claim that they actually had an issue from using one with their volca. i'm pretty sure they work fine. maybe with other gear they don't work well, and it's not best practice. i use a mono to stereo connector and only connect one in because that's the cable i already had, and i never have any volume issues due to this. my d-05 is far quieter for example .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search