The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
synthwave production
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

synthwave production

since we don't seem to have a thread on the subject. fire away. I'm impressed by the tones a lot of the newer stuff is achieving.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mostly ITB.
The last icing on the cake is the Cassette Portastudio, or any good tape emulation plugin.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The Peak was made for it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
What the f*ck do you call synthwave to begin with?
It's music that sounds nothing like what we, or anyone did in the 80s, written by kids who never lived in the 80s, who sit around and tell each other how 80s this music sounds.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you want to stop being ignorant, you can always use Google or Wikipedia to research what synthwave is.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted a3c6337
When I had a Peak I found it didn't fit the synthwave vibe very well.

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeHq1XPC9ZQ is by far my favorite synthwave track made exclusively with the Peak, excellent writing and track overall but there's just something off about the Peak sound for snythwave.

I'd say the OB-6 was made for synthwave.

Note : I use the term "synthwave" loosely here, as was described above.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
It's music that sounds nothing like what we, or anyone did in the 80s, written by kids who never lived in the 80s, who sit around and tell each other how 80s this music sounds.
All while not using a DX7, D50, or M1
Old 3 weeks ago
Im into Darkmediumwave at the moment

I dunno, I suppose some of my stuff has some elements of synthwave in it but I think I actually prefer todays version of 80s music to 80s music.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
since we don't seem to have a thread on the subject. fire away. I'm impressed by the tones a lot of the newer stuff is achieving.
do you have some examples?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
FM-84 and Gunship are awesome. So is The Midnight...

Old 3 weeks ago
Com Truise is another good place to get started

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 weeks ago
Gunship's "Dark All Day" featuring the legendary Tim Cappello

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Since everybody posting, I think I can post my own track from 2011.

Done using Tal U-No and Leto VSTi's. I've since got some hardware Junos, but still TAL's version has something special and nostalgic in it. Nostalgic for the early 2010's... already... oh my...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it's just '80s-inspired, right? More like "retro-style music with 21st-century production" in the same way Phil Collins' "You Can't Hurry Love" cover wasn't trying to sound like Motown. Whereas Tracy Ullman's version of "They Don't Know" was intentionally '60s-sounding.

Admittedly I don't know much about synthwave so I'll let @ neonrider @ Mutantt @ Transistores and @ Kerbkrawler set the record straight.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's almost as if the kids themselves are replicants. . . They're nostalgic for a past that never even happened.

Or maybe more accurately, considering the 80s dystopian sci-fi influence on the music videos, they're feeling nostalgia for a vision for what the future would be -- from the past.

WTF!

Someone smarter than me has to have a decent theory for this. Cultural analysis isn't something I know much about.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
Com Truise is another good place to get started

Ive listened to Com Truise for a while now...never knew this was the genre he was pigeonholed with

Thats it, Im officially Synthwave and my artists name is Betty Swollocks

Or Cunning Stunt!

Off to watch a season of Airwolf
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Its more about the production and the effects used than the synth really.. Your best bet would be some old Roland synth though.. or even Roland rompler.
The Integra7 for exemple have all the nice recognizable, cheesy, dated or classic, usable sounds that sit in the mix right away. It would be my first choice for synthwave, with maybe a analog mono like the SH2 to add a touch of dirt that miss in the digital/vst part.
Old 3 weeks ago
I think that was just ionian taking a piss and having a bit fun. Some of the stuff tries to be pretty faithful to the sound, but a lot does not.

For example this stays very close to the 80's sound.

P.S. If this doesn't sound 80's to you, Then I don't know what does (and I was a teenager in the 80's). Check out those Simmons drums...yeah.

Some of it is just inspired and way more aggressive and cleanly produced than anyone ever dreamed of in the 80's (or 90's for that matter)

I like where the style is headed. I love clean productions like the one above
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Ive listened to Com Truise for a while now...never knew this was the genre he was pigeonholed with

He's branched out from his early stuff, it's still has some of that sound, but I wouldn't pigeonhole him or Perturbator for that matter. They just make really really good electronic music.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's hard for me to keep up with the youngster's music genres This seems like 2010 pop (stuff way more dancey and memorable than today's) retro-fitted and coated with analog sounding synths.

This is where Roland Boutiques would make all the sense. But not the SE02 that would sound too aggressive for this

Last edited by HarryDelmarva; 3 weeks ago at 09:07 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lector View Post
The Peak was made for it.
Wut? I’ve got one and my observation is more like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted a3c6337 View Post
When I had a Peak I found it didn't fit the synthwave vibe very well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
He's branched out from his early stuff, it's still has some of that sound, but I wouldn't pigeonhole him or Perturbator for that matter. They just make really really good electronic music.
enjoyed your soundcloud page
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I could do with checking out more synthwave stuff. I'll work through those above- cheers guys. Here's my favourite Gunship track-

I absolutely love Gunship (Dark All Day isn't quite up to the debut in my opinion) and that is the sound I go for most. I got Kavinsky's Outrun- it's a good album (apart from the AWFUL rap track) but the Daft Punk inspired
sidechain compression thing with the mix pumping with the kick just doesn't really do it for me. And a fair bit of Synthwave I've looked up tends to follow more of this.

And there's darkwave/dreamwave too which don't sound too different for me (seriously- electronic music has more subgenres than metal, if that's possible!!).

I keep meaning to start a few projects with this style but always waylay myself with something else.

I guess the basic tropes would be- retro drum kit- Linn or DMX (maybe 808 if you want to er towards early 80s electro). A 16th note bassline- normally detuned saws with a downward sweep (sometimes resonant), big Oberheim/Sequential style pads and tinkly bits on the top. A few hooks.

A lot of it to me sounds like all the distributer jingles from the start of old VHS tapes- and the ads at the start of the movies. So no- it doesn't really sound like 80s pop music as such but more a nod to the VHS and videogame generation from the 80s. Which is fine with me!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
Basically sh*tty hipster derivative music from millennials who swear they are not plagiarizing Human League or Depeche Mode
of course they are not plagiarizing — they are ironically rethinking!
sounds exactly the same — but the sense is totally different!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
It's almost as if the kids themselves are replicants. . . They're nostalgic for a past that never even happened.
Wait... what? Never happened? I was a teenager in the 80s. I’m pretty sure it happened. I don’t think Synthwave is based on any band or style of songs, but from movie soundtracks.

I personally never liked the soundtrack stuff from Blade Runner, Chariots of Fire, Risky Business, Escape From New York, etc. Seemed super cheezey compared to the stuff that John Williams was doing in the same time period. I love it in Stranger Things, because it’s perfectly evoking that era. I tried listening to S.U.R.V.I.V.E’s music on its own, and I couldn’t do it. In the context of a purposely retro TV show, it makes sense to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

in 80's, i was a kid / teenager too.
i did not like all that synthpop and stuff like that, and used to listen punk & heavy metal.
(and that was uneasy in the Soviet Union, as some of you may know.)

and that 80s synth-based stuff stilll too cheesy for my ears.
for me, 80s are associated with gothic rock, heavy metal … and glam/hair metal
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's quite simple really: If we keep demanding more cloned 80s synths (homages really), then we should also expect more cloned 80s songs (homages really). It's one of those "that's... what you wanted... wasn't it?" "No... I mean, kinda... I didn't really think it all the way thru, okay?!" moments.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search