The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
synthwave production
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
Whatever happened to Kristine? I know she’s had music featured on Cobra Kai, but I would’ve loved to have seen a followup from her. Her album is one of the best to come out from the traditional Synthwave camp.

~~

We were discussing on Discord why Synthwave has stagnated; we think a big part of the “almost music” that you’re referring to, could be that all the newbie Swave producers learn from the same tutorials, use the same VST’s in the same way, and EQ/produce/master a track in a “modern” setting...and then that’s the entirety of their growth in Synthwave. There’s barely a focus on songwriting or structure, so a lot of the tracks sound like turds being glossed over.

Also, as much as I like vocal synthwave, I’ve yet to hear a really unique singer. I can appreciate a great, classically trained vocalist. I’d rather a unique vocalist that isn’t trying to sound like any of the five established singers that guest on every retrowave track.
On a related note, go look at the reddits /r/outrun or /r/vaporwaveaesthetics if you really want to feel some hurt. It's all the same purple/pink/light green/black with neon grid big sun garbage that's been stale for the last 7+ years.

It's easy to just deep dive nostalgia and be creatively bankrupt.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
Whatever happened to Kristine? I know she’s had music featured on Cobra Kai, but I would’ve loved to have seen a followup from her. Her album is one of the best to come out from the traditional Synthwave camp.
[...]
Also, as much as I like vocal synthwave, I’ve yet to hear a really unique singer. I can appreciate a great, classically trained vocalist. I’d rather a unique vocalist that isn’t trying to sound like any of the five established singers that guest on every retrowave track.
Kris has had some successful features and seems to be working on new stuff with no ETA. Likely feeling the pressure of expectations on a followup.

I suspect synthwave suffers a tad too much from the novelty factor to attract a wealth of serious vocalists. some modern dreampop/shoegaze acts have an unmistakable 80's sound (albeit more Cocteau Twins than Jan Hammer) but put more vocal effort into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1na View Post
Com Truise put out a "new" album last year ("In Decay, Too"). I dare anyone to spot the difference between this and all his previous efforts.
I wouldn't call Com the greatest thing since sliced minimoogs and haven't really caught up with his latest output, but he's making it his own. Like the other poster said, you can tell it's a Com track when you hear one. Most of these other synthwave producers that everybody loves are utterly interchangeable.

Regarding the song structures, much like the imaginary VHS-tinged 80's nostalgia that inspires this music in the new generation, it's not the same school as the actual 80's new wave or ballad acts. These synthwave producers have more in common with 90's (and onwards) electronica, emphasizing texture and ebb & flow of recurrent patterns than trad song structures. It can give off the sense of a lack of effort perhaps, but forced chord changes can feel equally ham-fisted.
I haven't heard any mediocre stuff from Com Truise so far. All great. Probably only half of his music fits synthwave format though.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
It's music that sounds nothing like what we, or anyone did in the 80s, written by kids who never lived in the 80s, who sit around and tell each other how 80s this music sounds.
And that’s what makes it awesome. We have enough authentic 80’s music!
Lives for gear

Big news about one of the best freeware synthwave instruments:
PG8X Goes open source !
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Every time I give Com Truise a try, I feel like I'm even more disappointed. I'm not seeing the big deal at all.
📝 Reply