The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
synthwave production
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear

I haven't bought any gear since January and outside of my occasional itch to get really stupid (i.e. Bricasti, H9000, The River or Moog One levels of stupid) not much out there has gotten my interest up. I looked hard at the Hydrasynth and the Argon, but I have enough digital synths. I expect my GS card to be revoked any minute now.

I have never done heroin. If I want something to dull my pain, occupy my time, and cause me not to shower for days at a time, I have synths.
Old 23rd June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
I haven't bought any gear since January and outside of my occasional itch to get really stupid (i.e. Bricasti, H9000, The River or Moog One levels of stupid) not much out there has gotten my interest up. I looked hard at the Hydrasynth and the Argon, but I have enough digital synths. I expect my GS card to be revoked any minute now.

I have never done heroin. If I want something to dull my pain, occupy my time, and cause me not to shower for days at a time, I have synths.
couldnt of said it better.
Quote:

I bought the hydrasynth and argon...Ive never been that decisive, or maybe I have...but I think I havent...there again....
Deleted 13e7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I bought the hydrasynth and argon...Ive never been that decisive, or maybe I have...but I think I havent...there again....
Which do you like better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 13e7993 View Post
Which do you like better?
Just now the Hydrasynth...but that could be as its the only one I want to play...the argon might even sound nicer...but its a pain in low light (piercing bright LEDs, unreadable UI) the Hydra is great fun to tweak and play. A classic imho
Old 24th June 2020
Here for the gear
i enjoy the more electro/funk influenced aspect of the whole 80s 'synthwave' genre. 'Manolis' from Greece has some awesome stuff, not a complex sound but dig these compositions

Old 18th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Blue & Sand

Old 19th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Love this quote btw. And i have done heroin once when i was younger. **** ****in sucks.... booorrrrrriiiiiinnggggg......

Synths all day!!!!
Old 28th August 2020
Gear Head

I made a mix tape of my latest trainings. Yes, HW synths and real playing. No computer or mixing..

First song is Finnish love song so be warned, but this links jumps directly to synth wave. Just feel me having all this fun!!!

..Anything to say about fitting my stuff in to this genre that I love so much?
Old 11th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Old 9th November 2020
Gear Addict
Anyone listening to any Synthwave podcasts?
Old 13th November 2020
Lives for gear

Im usually just catching nightride.fm or something similar on the discord servers.
Old 14th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Had a go at a bit of SynthWave, added the obligatory Neon

Made all the sounds from scratch inc percussion, much more satisfying to do.
Old 14th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I basically never post here, but saw the Synthwave thread pop up and couldn't resist the urge to plug my new single, which is *super* synthwave influenced.

It's one of two lead singles for an album I'm releasing on 12/4 - its definitely the most synthwave-inspired of the bunch, but the rest of the record is also chock full of vintage analogs -- I got to track in a studio with a CS-80 and OBXA, alongside my own Junos, Solina, Mono/Poly, and SH101.

Hope you guys like it and more than happy to answer any questions!

- Luc
Old 15th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Talking about syntwave, I remixed my own track in a more synthwave style mixed with some house elements and then did a video that is synthwave inspired.

Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W View Post
Thats the kind of music I LOVE. Those songs I've posted got released at Hypersound Productions [...]
Hypersound was the prime label back in the days. ZYX was a bit slow and pretty much didn’t want to release any spacesynth apart from what Michiel produced. Erik van Vliet ruled it. So Humphrey took on the new emerging artists like Macrocosm, Protonic Storm and mindXpander (I’m David by the way). Even though Humphrey did things his own way I’m forever thankful for his support and that he believed in us. But when Marek came along showing more agility and better adapted to the digital era Humphrey was a bit pissed when artists started jumping ship. When Hypersound closed up shop we moved to releasing the music ourselves. The only downside was marketing and how to scream and wave that something new had been released. And I’ve always been bad at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W
There was this spacesynth forum sadly it doesn't exist anymore, most of the people there including the admin was professional producers
Those were the days. I have so many fond memories of this. Spacesynth.net was pretty much closed down after some unbiased attacks against certain artists. We (mindXpander) were sometimes under some heavy fire as well and there were troll accounts and some ugly business. But at the height of the site it was an awesome place to be I guess it’s impossible to bring it back. I know some of the people and that they’re still producing spacesynth - but that forum is most probably dead. It’s one of those “you had to be there” moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W
You've described everything whats wrong with Synthwave, it's just like it crippled little brother his parent didn't even want while Spacesynth is the cool brother everyone loves. IMHO if you try to replicate something atleast put in some effort, really Spacesynth was all about simple melodies they really didn't care much about effects, this kinda died with synthwave.
I’d have to disagree actually. Surely the most basic (and boring) spacesynth had simple melodies and such but we always tried to write something more intelligent. We thought a lot about how we emphasized the melodies and how we programmed the sounds. But it’s a subjective thing and I’m quite biased
That being said. I think there are some pretty talented artists in the Synthwave genre. Have a look at Scandroid for example. That’s some prettt slick stuff right there.

Nowadays no-one needs to be able to play the keyboard. Just pre-program some clips in Ableton Live that you can trigger while waving your arms and you’re good to go.

We will soon release a new spacesynth concept album that has taken 8 years to produce. Most of the sounds are from our Eurorack modular synths but I can assure you that there are exactly zero/zip/nil/nada electric fart sounds :D
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post
Talking about syntwave, I remixed my own track in a more synthwave style mixed with some house elements and then did a video that is synthwave inspired.
I really like it! Well done!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirou View Post
I really like it! Well done!
Thanks
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirou View Post
Hypersound was the prime label back in the days. ZYX was a bit slow and pretty much didn’t want to release any spacesynth apart from what Michiel produced. Erik van Vliet ruled it. So Humphrey took on the new emerging artists like Macrocosm, Protonic Storm and mindXpander (I’m David by the way). Even though Humphrey did things his own way I’m forever thankful for his support and that he believed in us. But when Marek came along showing more agility and better adapted to the digital era Humphrey was a bit pissed when artists started jumping ship. When Hypersound closed up shop we moved to releasing the music ourselves. The only downside was marketing and how to scream and wave that something new had been released. And I’ve always been bad at that.

Those were the days. I have so many fond memories of this. Spacesynth.net was pretty much closed down after some unbiased attacks against certain artists. We (mindXpander) were sometimes under some heavy fire as well and there were troll accounts and some ugly business. But at the height of the site it was an awesome place to be I guess it’s impossible to bring it back. I know some of the people and that they’re still producing spacesynth - but that forum is most probably dead. It’s one of those “you had to be there” moments.

I’d have to disagree actually. Surely the most basic (and boring) spacesynth had simple melodies and such but we always tried to write something more intelligent. We thought a lot about how we emphasized the melodies and how we programmed the sounds. But it’s a subjective thing and I’m quite biased
That being said. I think there are some pretty talented artists in the Synthwave genre. Have a look at Scandroid for example. That’s some prettt slick stuff right there.

Nowadays no-one needs to be able to play the keyboard. Just pre-program some clips in Ableton Live that you can trigger while waving your arms and you’re good to go.

We will soon release a new spacesynth concept album that has taken 8 years to produce. Most of the sounds are from our Eurorack modular synths but I can assure you that there are exactly zero/zip/nil/nada electric fart sounds :D
MindXpander is one of my favorite Spacesynth artists, I love Krog's Return. Almost everything that was released on Hypersound was extremely good.

IMHO Hypersound Productions and Hotsound Records are the best Spacesynth labels ever. Space Sounds Records is meh, I don't like the music they have been releasing. It sounds way too new, drenched with effects and a lot of automation, I guess I like that "flat" sound. So sad that Hypersound had to close, iirc it had to do with some things Mr. Robertson did on the internet to his competitors from Space Sound Records. It was childish of him to do but I still respect the guy for the skills he has.

Spacesynth.net was a great forum, it was a no BS forum. I have great memories of that era, I had met a few of the Spacesynth artists who released their music at Hypersound on a few MP3 piracy channels. I don't want to mention names but one guy gave me his album for free. Those were great times.

It is easier to produce music nowadays but then you get quantity over quality. I have been on a couple Synthwave forums and to be honest I wasn't impressed, it's not like how Spacesynth.net was those guys at spacesynth.net had a lot of talent. Do you really need 100+ tracks in a song? Seems like the norm on so many forums, I never used more than 8 instruments for one song.

Nearly 15 years ago I was listening to Iventi via their internet stream. They did a live interview with Alberto Carpani (Albert One). And they asked him what he thought about the modern producers he said that nowadays every kid with a computer can download a few cracked VSTi's and a DAW and call himself a producer while back in those days you didn't have much help, you had to know how to get the maximum out of your hardware. I really believe he was right. So sad that Alberto Carpani (Albertone) died a couple months ago, the covid got him.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektricshock View Post
I basically never post here, but saw the Synthwave thread pop up and couldn't resist the urge to plug my new single, which is *super* synthwave influenced.

It's one of two lead singles for an album I'm releasing on 12/4 - its definitely the most synthwave-inspired of the bunch, but the rest of the record is also chock full of vintage analogs -- I got to track in a studio with a CS-80 and OBXA, alongside my own Junos, Solina, Mono/Poly, and SH101.

Hope you guys like it and more than happy to answer any questions!

- Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse View Post

those were both excellent...really nice work guys
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks! It was a fun record to make.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback
Gear Head

Synthwave test

Made my first attempt, a month ago, i love sinthwave.
Old 14th December 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiostuff View Post
Made my first attempt, a month ago, i love sinthwave.
great first, second, or third attempt...monster sound
Stuck this in another thread...but its kinda retro enough for here, plus the video is going to get me work in hollywood, I never knew I had such editing skills

Gear Addict

Good track and I think connecting the sound with video like that tied it together really well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero View Post
Good track and I think connecting the sound with video like that tied it together really well.
Thanks man...not really synthwave but Im a clickbait hoar lol...wish Id spent more time on the video, I only did it for an hour or so but I love the dancing rollerskaters
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stuck this in another thread...but its kinda retro enough for here, plus the video is going to get me work in hollywood, I never knew I had such editing skills

Fookin’ loved that, @ kcearl Good to hear some of your tunes again.
Gear Head

Quote:
great first, second, or third attempt...monster sound
Thank you, hope to make new tracks and share them here!I love to try to reproduce particular "overall sound" and composing new different tracks inspired from that sound, love the sinthwave freedom...

For example, this track below is inspired from Vangelis overall sound, made in Ableton with Orchestra VST's and other sinths, also offcourse mixed and mastered by me.

Gear Head

Quote:

What i have to say, awesome tune!
📝 Reply