The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
synthwave production
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
Big fan of parliament, and you are right, tho I would point out those were interpolated. Saw Clinton and p funk when I was 13 with some friends right after we saw outkast at a music festival in atlanta. My young mind had never been so stoned... wandering back to the train station that night was a blur.
Somewhere around, I have a copy of 'Sample some of Disc, Sample some of DAT' - which was put out by George himself.

https://www.discogs.com/George-Clint...elease/2151385
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head
I just want you all to know... i was avoiding this thread like the plague. But finally took a look at it yesterday, and that launched me into a Synthwave driven craze, and I watched way to many of the videos, and I can only see in Neon Magenta, and Cyan and black (Wait What, CGA?). Roads are all gridded, and I have an undying want of a Lambergini Contacach. Ah well.

This did inspire me to look around at tools I had that would be fun to emulate synthwave stuff with. I forgot how much I liked TAL Sampler! It really lends itself well to producing some nice crunchy bass sounds. Of course, The System 8 is perfect for this as well!

... anyway thanks for all the wonderful links... I think..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
Somewhere around, I have a copy of 'Sample some of Disc, Sample some of DAT' - which was put out by George himself.

https://www.discogs.com/George-Clint...elease/2151385
That would be cool to find a copy of.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
That would be cool to find a copy of.
$20 for a vinyl copy, think I'll give it a spin
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
$20 for a vinyl copy, think I'll give it a spin
Be careful, those jams have been known to tear the roof off...
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I'd totally buy and rock a GS Slutwave album.

We need our own Slutapalooza tour.
Now this is actually a good idea! The GS Slutwave as a name of album sounds so cool it must be done.
Old 3 days ago
Miami Vice Crockett's Theme seems to be the inspiration for a lot of synthwave (my opinion).
I don't think anyone has mentioned Lazerhawk yet but they have some great music that I consider to be synthwave.
There were a few pages in this thread discussing the whole 80s nostalgia and etc - this song (to me) epitomizes the music heard on television in the 1980s:
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Here you go!

Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrecklessEyeball View Post
this song (to me) epitomizes the music heard on television in the 1980s.
That whole album is nuts. 80's cheese with a hefty slice of guitars and even workout instructions on one of the tracks.

https://sunloverrecords.bandcamp.com...aximum-workout
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lazerhawk
Their name certainly aligns with the genre.

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

This guy has a real nice vibe going. Very musical with all elements - especially the filter movements and drums. which I think some people really don’t get right.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Here is another retro style track complete with overused cassette loading sound at the beginning.

https://soundcloud.com/dzod/liquidthoughts
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post

This guy has a real nice vibe going. Very musical with all elements - especially the filter movements and drums. which I think some people really don’t get right.
Those drums are tight. I like when they drop, suddenly but not jarringly.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
The 80's were such a great time to be alive and young that you didn't even realise how good those times were. You were too busy enjoying everything around you to realise what you were enduring. When I think back to those days it was a case of endless days surfing, smoking copious amounts of naturally grown weed, punk music, partying nearly every single day at someones house, everything was about enjoying yourself to the max, especially in the afternoon/evening, drinking loads of rum and coke, beer, soooo many bongs, sex with our girlfriends every day, everyone had money and a job, most of my crew,.. we worked in local bakery so we worked from midnight to 6am baking, the owner was ex police from Sydney who loved to give us drugs and booze while we worked, we'd finish there then surfed all day, partied in the afternoon at someones place till evening, pass out there on their floor or couch, get a few hrs sleep then back at it again, pretty much the only thing that slowed us down was rainy stormy days and no surf.. but that just meant we drank and smoked more, I remember having a drum kit in a mates agarage and we used to belt out punk beats on that thing while amate would hit his bass guitar, great great times they really were.
Dude, it's uncanny...delete the surfing, partying, drinking, pot smoking, sex and social life and that's like my '80s experience almost exactly.

Silliness aside, I do enjoy some of the synthwave-type music here and there - have a couple of Com Truise albums I like to give a spin in the car every once in a while. I don't think I could ever do that sort of thing myself, though...it would require a capacity for minimalism and singular focus on one very small period in musical history that I don't think I could manage (I do still like using some sounds evocative of the '80s, but usually combined with sounds from other eras). I do agree with what clusterchord mentioned earlier in the thread, regarding a lot of synthwave stuff seeming to be compressed as F and not having as much dynamic range and room for things to breathe in the mix as actual '80s recordings.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Check out this badassitude from our own @ plasmasynth :

His gearlist on this is pretty impressive, too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search