The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
synthwave production
Old 1 week ago
  #301
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair. Though Discipline is the pick of the litter.
Old 1 week ago
  #302
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
King Crimson is a weird duck. The early stuff can be very Wizards and Warlocks, though occasionally you’ll hear glimpses of what was to come. Red is my favorite of their early albums. I can’t remember what album it’s on, but Twentieth Century Schizoid Man is pretty perfect. I personally like the 80s stuff like that track I posed the best. Then they were gone for a decade and when they came back, they were a bit more Tool like, though Belew can go a little Muppet Show when he gets the chance. My favorite from that era is Level 5, but it’s all instrumentals... I think. Pretty aggressive. Then they went away for a long time, and when they came back, they jettisoned Belew... by having him find out on the internet that the band he was in for 3 decades had gotten back together again... but you’re no longer in it. Now they’re back to playing their stuff from the 70s. I’m not really into it.
That's messed up.
Old 1 week ago
  #303
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Nice use of the SR-16! Sounds good, man!
Thanks! Your goofing around with linn stuff hit the right nerves in my brains too. Sound fits the genre and the kick is more than awesome. Feels like the bassline have something to do with that kick having such a great punch. Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
This is just me goofing around. Linn 9000 samples (I've got them SAW songs stuck in my head from the other thread), modular, and stock Renoise effects. I think I've got the feel down, but the composition could do with some work.
Old 1 week ago
  #304
Here for the gear
So much great sound here that I start to forget that we are actually discussing about something.

Kerbcrawler! Your ABM stuff just nailed me sitting down to just listen and enjoy. Reminds me of Com Truise a bit. WOnderful stuff! Thanks for sharing.
Old 1 week ago
  #305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Dave View Post
Kerbcrawler! Your ABM stuff just nailed me sitting down to just listen and enjoy.
Agreed! I had not seen that link, so thanks for calling it out. My fave piece on this thread, so far. Here's the link, again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
Old 1 week ago
  #306
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post


Here is one I did a few months ago. Drums are from Samples from Mars, Bass is Moog Voyager/P12 mix, Lead from Chorus is Moog Voyager, Lead in verses is the OB6, Warbly Bells are a TG77. Drones, White noise and FX are from a P12 so I cheated a bit. Delays and Verbs courtesy of the DP4. That is early 90's, but I don't have anything older than that.

Really nice track!
Old 1 week ago
  #307
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
I almost bought one two days ago, but realized I can get by for now with just using ableton and push. First on my list is the integra, then ipad pro, then OB6. That is unless the mfb 8 comes out before I'm done saving for the ob, then I will take a look at that too.

Next year drum machine. Live is a contender of it allows export to ableton now, I had no idea it had that.
Sorry I just read you are considering the integra, Im a big fan of Roland romplers...had the FA and JV for years. If you do get a Live I sampled most of the SRX cards in depth for the MPC if you wanted to get the OB6 first
Old 1 week ago
  #308
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman View Post
Agreed! I had not seen that link, so thanks for calling it out. My fave piece on this thread, so far. Here's the link, again:
To me, that sounds like 80s style composition with modern production. I’m not criticizing it, but it just seems to be the opposite of what this thread is talking about.
Old 1 week ago
  #309
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
To me, that sounds like 80s style composition with modern production. I’m not criticizing it, but it just seems to be the opposite of what this thread is talking about.
Well the thread was about synthwave, of which many of the tunes are just 80's inspired tunes with modern production. Speed Machine, Peturbator, Carpenter Brut, the newer stuff by Com Truise are in that vein and really more of the kind of synthwave that I am into and want to make. I don't so much make dead-on impressions of 80's music.

Your earlier quote was about modern OTB and retro ITB and how it could do whatever you wanted to do with it was a great quote. It's true, I do virtually everything save for drums and DAW sequencing OTB, but I never achieve a truly vintage sound (70's, 80's or 90's)...even when I try.

You can criticize me, (not personally, I mean ), I would always take that sort of feedback in good faith.I wish the "post your music thread" on this board actually generated some feedback. I just feel like there a lot we could all learn from each other.
At least, I could a lot from some of you guys
Old 1 week ago
  #310
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
I wonder if some of this stuff is coming from a place of jealousy. What I mean by that is that as I'm checking out these artists, a lot of them like to put their birth year in the name, and I'm seeing a whole lot of 1983. Born in '83 myself, I was too young to experience the 80's, so I kind of resent my parents for not screwing sooner so I could be part of that culture. Just thinking aloud here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
Speed Machine
Thanks for name-dropping them. Hadn't heard this before, and it's right up my alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
I wish the "post your music thread" on this board actually generated some feedback. I just feel like there a lot we could all learn from each other.
At least, I could a lot from some of you guys
Same. There's a lot of brilliant minds on this forum. It's a shame that those threads don't generate more traction.
Old 6 days ago
  #311
well I was born in the eighties...well when I say eighties I mean the seventies...OK I mean the sixties


I remember the eighties...all of it except the acid bits towards the end of the decade, literally. And this is not eighties music I ever heard, it doesnt even sound like its trying to be eighties music to me...its just heavily influenced. And as that stands on its own merits. I enjoy the softer side Ive heard of it as a little slice of tongue in cheek cheese, but some of its great, much darker that anything back then. I cant stand stuff like ital disco (sorry Ital Disco) didnt like most of the house stuff either...my taste in electronic music came through joy division and New order. But looking back I like a lot more than I used to, thats for sure. Newbeat/euro/hardbeat got me into the dancier side...and again synthwave and its variants dont sound anything like that.


lol @ life story
Old 6 days ago
  #312
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post

I cant stand stuff like ital disco (sorry Ital Disco) didnt like most of the house stuff either...my taste in electronic music came through joy division and New order. But looking back I like a lot more than I used to, thats for sure. Newbeat/euro/hardbeat got me into the dancier side...and again synthwave and its variants dont sound anything like that.


lol @ life story
I have an Italo Discoesque song that no one can hate. No one.

Old 6 days ago
  #313
Gear Addict
 
B_and_W's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
Simmons Drums? What are those?

Doo-Doo Doo-Doo Doooooosh.


Oh, those.
It's one of the most iconic drumsynths of the 80s. Have you tried the Linndrum VST? I really really love adding percussion into my songs, rimshots, claps, cowbells very popular in italo disco, it's like they make the song more alive.

If I try to replicate the early Italo Disco I don't use any effects on the drum. I really like them "flat". In this demo I haven't used any effects since I wanted to replicate the early Italo Disco sound. The first file is the entire drumpattern, the second file is the demo. Without effects the drumpattern might sound boring but once you add everything to the song it will sound much different.

I have used no compressor or whatsoever, the song comes straight from the DAW. Some people will tell you to use all kind of plugins to compress the sound but in most bases it's always bs and a waste of time. If you get the volume on the proper level straight from the beginning you won't be needing all the crap they're telling you. Maybe this demo is still too loud, I really didn't bother to fix that. For the audio output I just use some cheap Sony headphones which I bought for 10 euro. You won't be needing all that flashy crap as some people will try to convince you.

I really can suggest you to learn to play keyboard/piano. It will make you a better musician/composer/producer you'll understand music theory much better thus everything will be easier and you'll have a huge advantage compared to those who cant.
Attached Files

italodemo_drum_pat.mp3 (2.25 MB, 341 views)

italodemo.mp3 (2.25 MB, 331 views)

Old 6 days ago
  #314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
I have an Italo Discoesque song that no one can hate. No one.

I liked it right up to 0.42 in


ignore my previous post...I hate nothing, I just have a daily cheese limit.

When Chicago House came out I really wanted to like it. At my age then the easiest way was to get the compilations 33s that popped up everywhere but other than a couple of tracks with more than a nod to the Motown Disco label I just didnt hear the big deal.

I should revisit them, betcha Id love them now
Old 6 days ago
  #315
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I wonder if some of this stuff is coming from a place of jealousy. What I mean by that is that as I'm checking out these artists, a lot of them like to put their birth year in the name, and I'm seeing a whole lot of 1983. Born in '83 myself, I was too young to experience the 80's, so I kind of resent my parents for not screwing sooner so I could be part of that culture. Just thinking aloud here.
I am few years older than you, but that is totally irrelevant to how much i or you can love the sound of the 80s.
Because it is all out there, digitized for you to listen to right now.
Just watch few John Carpenter movies, check some 80s/90s arcade game "longplays" on YT and you will know what synthwave is about and if you like it or not.

BTW Miami Vice was really something back then.
I tried to watch it 1 year or so ago... LOL NOPE.
It can't even compare to a good 2010s series.
Old 6 days ago
  #316
Gear Addict
 
B_and_W's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
I am few years older than you, but that is totally irrelevant to how much i or you can love the sound of the 80s.
Because it is all out there, digitized for you to listen to right now.
Just watch few John Carpenter movies, check some 80s/90s arcade game "longplays" on YT and you will know what synthwave is about and if you like it or not.

BTW Miami Vice was really something back then.
I tried to watch it 1 year or so ago... LOL NOPE.
It can't even compare to a good 2010s series.
Don't you DARE talking about the TV show I'm currently watching! I love Miami Vice the action are horrible but often the action music sounds damn great.
Old 6 days ago
  #317
Gear Addict
 
basehead617's Avatar
Many of the 'primary' artists in the genre are not just ITB, but use OB-6 etc. and many record to tape, especially mastering to 1/2" tape and re-recording from there.

There is big crossover with the genre and people who do video effects with OLD effects devices and VHS tape, etc. They are not anti hardware.
Old 6 days ago
  #318
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Many of the 'primary' artists in the genre are not just ITB, but use OB-6 etc. and many record to tape, especially mastering to 1/2" tape and re-recording from there.

There is big crossover with the genre and people who do video effects with OLD effects devices and VHS tape, etc. They are not anti hardware.
Who are some that work this way? ^
Old 6 days ago
  #319
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Sorry I just read you are considering the integra, Im a big fan of Roland romplers...had the FA and JV for years. If you do get a Live I sampled most of the SRX cards in depth for the MPC if you wanted to get the OB6 first
Well my reasoning for the live was to get something to take out of town and on planes, and I'm gonna be gone next week so I almost threw my gear plans out the window and picked it up. I think it's best I get the integra now because it will get more use in the hiphop stuff, which pays for the synth and electronic toys.

Integra now, then ob6, and then if I get a drum machine/sampler it will be after the new year.

I'm a bit nervous to try the mpc because I've only used a 1000 briefly when I was about 15, and didnt gel with it coming from an ensoniq asrx. I want to get my hands on one and try it first. It looks fun, but will it really fit my workflow or just be a fun toy is what stops me.
Old 6 days ago
  #320
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
I am few years older than you, but that is totally irrelevant to how much i or you can love the sound of the 80s.
We can always go back and listen to the music, watch the movies, go to the malls, etc. but I didn't get to experience the culture, and that's where I'm miffed. The 90's were a paranoid technocratic hell where parents learned to fear their children. I want a slice of that 80's hedonism!
Old 6 days ago
  #321
Here for the gear
 

Synthwave/Retrowave

Here are two retrowave style tracks that I wrote last year. They have a sort of 80's feel to it but not quite. Mostly Prophet 6, Moog Sub Phatty and FM8.

https://soundcloud.com/dzod/martino-bay

https://soundcloud.com/dzod/martino-grove
Old 6 days ago
  #322
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
Well my reasoning for the live was to get something to take out of town and on planes, and I'm gonna be gone next week so I almost threw my gear plans out the window and picked it up. I think it's best I get the integra now because it will get more use in the hiphop stuff, which pays for the synth and electronic toys.

Integra now, then ob6, and then if I get a drum machine/sampler it will be after the new year.

I'm a bit nervous to try the mpc because I've only used a 1000 briefly when I was about 15, and didnt gel with it coming from an ensoniq asrx. I want to get my hands on one and try it first. It looks fun, but will it really fit my workflow or just be a fun toy is what stops me.
Yeah the MPC workflow is an acquired taste...theyll be introducing a linear arranger in version 3 which will improve the workflow a lot, so you might be wise to hold of after your previous experience. An ipad and Korg Gadgets a great tool to take om journeys ?
Old 6 days ago
  #323
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzod View Post
Here are two retrowave style tracks that I wrote last year. They have a sort of 80's feel to it but not quite. Mostly Prophet 6, Moog Sub Phatty and FM8.

https://soundcloud.com/dzod/martino-bay

https://soundcloud.com/dzod/martino-grove
I liked the first. The brass sound is pure Synthwave, I think. Only minor criticism at the rhythm section, the bass sounds too fussy and doesn't quite suit the beat. It should be 8ths instead of 16ths IMO
Old 6 days ago
  #324
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
Well the thread was about synthwave, of which many of the tunes are just 80's inspired tunes with modern production. Speed Machine, Peturbator, Carpenter Brut, the newer stuff by Com Truise are in that vein and really more of the kind of synthwave that I am into and want to make. I don't so much make dead-on impressions of 80's music.

Your earlier quote was about modern OTB and retro ITB and how it could do whatever you wanted to do with it was a great quote. It's true, I do virtually everything save for drums and DAW sequencing OTB, but I never achieve a truly vintage sound (70's, 80's or 90's)...even when I try.

You can criticize me, (not personally, I mean ), I would always take that sort of feedback in good faith.I wish the "post your music thread" on this board actually generated some feedback. I just feel like there a lot we could all learn from each other.
At least, I could a lot from some of you guys
Oh, I wasn’t being critical, not in a negative way. I was just commenting on how the style of composition and the style of production seemed from different eras. The track sounds good. I’m more interested in that kind of blending of things anyway.
Old 6 days ago
  #325
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
We can always go back and listen to the music, watch the movies, go to the malls, etc. but I didn't get to experience the culture, and that's where I'm miffed. The 90's were a paranoid technocratic hell where parents learned to fear their children. I want a slice of that 80's hedonism!
Oh, don’t worry. The 80s had their own flavor of suck.
Old 6 days ago
  #326
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
oh, don’t worry. The 80s had their own flavor of suck.
sex, drugs, and reaganomics!!!
Old 6 days ago
  #327
Here for the gear
 

Experimantalwave

Not quite synthwave. Not sure what I would call this hence experimentalwave. Again mostly Prophet 6, Moog and FM8.

https://soundcloud.com/dzod/trojantruffles
Old 6 days ago
  #328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
We can always go back and listen to the music, watch the movies, go to the malls, etc. but I didn't get to experience the culture, and that's where I'm miffed. The 90's were a paranoid technocratic hell where parents learned to fear their children.
Plenty of fear going around in the 80's.

Old 6 days ago
  #329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzod View Post
Not quite synthwave. Not sure what I would call this hence experimentalwave. Again mostly Prophet 6, Moog and FM8.

https://soundcloud.com/dzod/trojantruffles
Nope, that's pretty straight down the pipe synthwave, has that Powerglove feel to the bassline in the beginning. Niceee.
Old 6 days ago
  #330
Gear Guru
 
fiddlestickz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Oh, don’t worry. The 80s had their own flavor of suck.
never had so much sex as I did in the 80's... whew..!!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump