The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
August 2019 New Gear Thread
Old 4 weeks ago
  #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 9bf22ce View Post
That looks REALLY nice. The 500 doesn't get a lot of love but it's a pretty awesome portable machine. I think I will have to get another if I see one with upgraded pads.
Even with the fat pads I found the velocity on the 500 really hard to work with, I mean you really had to thump it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #122
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
Starting the month off correctly. This thing sounds totally epic
I'm down to this and the integra 7, and close to purchase time. Dont necessarily want more keys, but the hands on editing and full touch screen features are enticing.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
I'm down to this and the integra 7, and close to purchase time. Dont necessarily want more keys, but the hands on editing and full touch screen features are enticing.
I preferred this to my FA, spent a good while demoing it in GC and its a really nice board. If I ever need a bread n butter this would be my first choice.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #124
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I preferred this to my FA, spent a good while demoing it in GC and its a really nice board. If I ever need a bread n butter this would be my first choice.
True, I may do that. For the cost of the integra I could get the modx and a 2080 too i guess.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #125
Gear Maniac
 
tjontheroad's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
I'm down to this and the integra 7, and close to purchase time. Dont necessarily want more keys, but the hands on editing and full touch screen features are enticing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I preferred this to my FA, spent a good while demoing it in GC and its a really nice board. If I ever need a bread n butter this would be my first choice.
I have a FA-06. The MODX hands down is the better synth in terms of sound quality, UI (once you understand it. It’s a bit confusing at first), and keyboard. I’m very much glad I got it. My FA-06 will be on the market soon. The only thing I think I’ll miss is some of the Jupiter/Juno sounds that are in the FA-06.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #126
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
I have a FA-06. The MODX hands down is the better synth in terms of sound quality, UI (once you understand it. It’s a bit confusing at first), and keyboard. I’m very much glad I got it. My FA-06 will be on the market soon. The only thing I think I’ll miss is some of the Jupiter/Juno sounds that are in the FA-06.
I'm going to order one on Monday it looks like. I'd order today, but cant have it arriving before I'm back in town. I can cover the junoesque sound with my deepmind. Just seems more enjoyable to edit than on the small integra screen, as the ipad editor doesnt cover enough features. Glad to hear the sound is better too. Didnt want a keyboard, but I'll make room. Going to order a two tiered keyboard stand I guess.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #127
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
I got a Roland JD-Xi and a Bastl microGranny 2.

Really cool for portable setups

Old 4 weeks ago
  #128
Gear Nut
Thinking of grabbing a Roland A01. Don’t know what it does, probably don’t need it, but it’s dirt cheap lol.

Still looking locally for an SE 02
Old 4 weeks ago
  #129
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
I've been very slow on the acquisition front, primarily getting to know the instruments I have in more depth but also very drawn into other aspects of life. Nonetheless, August finds me enjoying a New Bass Day worthy of celebration:



The pace is going to ratchet up within the year as I start outfitting another space. Studio monitors, a hammer action keyboard, and possibly my first symphonic library are on my shopping list. Is Spitfire generally pretty well respected? I see they have an event coming up August 28th with something new planned, so I'll be keeping an eye out for potential for sales around then...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #130
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I've been very slow on the acquisition front, primarily getting to know the instruments I have in more depth but also very drawn into other aspects of life. Nonetheless, August finds me enjoying a New Bass Day worthy of celebration:



The pace is going to ratchet up within the year as I start outfitting another space. Studio monitors, a hammer action keyboard, and possibly my first symphonic library are on my shopping list. Is Spitfire generally pretty well respected? I see they have an event coming up August 28th with something new planned, so I'll be keeping an eye out for potential for sales around then...
Cool bass. Nice surroundings.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #131
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Cool bass. Nice surroundings.
Thanks! The bass was something of a gamble as I had never laid hands on a Chapman Guitars instrument before, but their current production comes from the same factory as the PRS SE line so it seemed likely construction quality would be up to par. I have a soft spot for neck-through designs and interesting top woods that aren't just veneers. This hit a lot of the right notes for me, and thankfully it feels great as well.

The photo was taken just outside our front door and this is definitely the right time of year for it. We see tourists stop to photograph our landscaping on a daily basis which is pretty entertaining considering how often we look at it and see only what we want to improve.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #132
Lives for gear
 
tux99's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
I got a Roland JD-Xi


The JD-XI has become my goto synth for quick spontaneous music making since I got it in 2015. I even sold my Juno 106 2 years after getting the JD-Xi because the JD-Xi made the Juno redundant for me.

I'm eagerly awaiting youtube videos from you making tracks with the JD-Xi.

If you need a free patch editor for it, see below (in my signature).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #133
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
It's not that I don't have enough cables, it's that I don't have the right cables, and I'd rather not move my audio interface just to accomodate all the rack gear or go back to dumping everything in a 19" unit. I chose to get this over the alternative option of separate cables. 3 meter is still too big, but there were no 2-meter options.

I've been adding cables to my Thomann list and i'm wondering if you know the approx length between each jack plug and sheath?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #134
Gear Maniac
This month's purchases

Alesis DEQ830
Alesis DEQ230
Boss MD500
E-mu MP-7 Command station x2
E-mu Xtreme Lead-1
Roger Linn Adrenalinn III
11u rack strips for the rack I built
2x optical cables

Still needing midi cables, audio cables, multi universal socket power cable
Old 4 weeks ago
  #135
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Thanks! The bass was something of a gamble as I had never laid hands on a Chapman Guitars instrument before, but their current production comes from the same factory as the PRS SE line so it seemed likely construction quality would be up to par. I have a soft spot for neck-through designs and interesting top woods that aren't just veneers. This hit a lot of the right notes for me, and thankfully it feels great as well.

The photo was taken just outside our front door and this is definitely the right time of year for it. We see tourists stop to photograph our landscaping on a daily basis which is pretty entertaining considering how often we look at it and see only what we want to improve.
Oh, it's a Chapman, as in the Anderton's Rob C? I've seen loads of their demo videos. As an American I'm sort of jealous of the UK Music Store demo video scene. At least we have Andy (now at Reverb), but the Anderton's and TPS vids are favorites of mine, product demo wise.

Anyway, Ive never laid hands on any of his line of guitars and basses, but I find a couple of the guitars interesting, and I have a PRS SE that is great (have a PRS Core, too, not as much difference as one would imagine or hope for given the $ difference).

Me, too, re neck through or set necks, and without most of the normal fancy veneers. That one is unique and cool.

I'm a sucker for cool landscaping and landscape architecture over all. Nice looking spot you have.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #136
Lives for gear
 
Lady Gaia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Oh, it's a Chapman, as in the Anderson's Rob C?
That's the one. I can't say I find his playing style to my taste, but he has certainly demonstrated exceptionally acute awareness of subtle differences between instruments. It seemed at least plausible that he'd use that skill to make good decisions about his own line. Still, without ever having held any of their work it was something of a leap of faith backed by a good return policy.

Quote:
Me, too, re neck through or set necks, and without most of the normal fancy veneers. That one is unique and cool.
I'm not a huge fan of veneers, either. My Hellraiser Extreme's top might as well be a screen printing on paper, whereas this has a good solid 3/8" Mapa Burl top. It's really surprisingly well-spec'ed for the price.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #137
Lives for gear
 
Mr. Varaldo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post


The JD-XI has become my goto synth for quick spontaneous music making since I got it in 2015. I even sold my Juno 106 2 years after getting the JD-Xi because the JD-Xi made the Juno redundant for me.

I'm eagerly awaiting youtube videos from you making tracks with the JD-Xi.

If you need a free patch editor for it, see below (in my signature).
Thank you, and thank you for the link to the editor, I'll def check it out -- I agree, the JD-Xi is a lot of fun to use - it's quick to come up with your own patterns, and the rev 1.5 has the "chord change" that basically transforms it in a sort of accompaniment keyboard when you press the respective chords on the keyboard - very cool. I just did some programming and came up with thirteen custom programs that emulate some of the classic Kraftwerk songs (in chronological order) - here's the vid...

Old 4 weeks ago
  #138
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
That's the one. I can't say I find his playing style to my taste, but he has certainly demonstrated exceptionally acute awareness of subtle differences between instruments. It seemed at least plausible that he'd use that skill to make good decisions about his own line. Still, without ever having held any of their work it was something of a leap of faith backed by a good return policy.

I'm not a huge fan of veneers, either. My Hellraiser Extreme's top might as well be a screen printing on paper, whereas this has a good solid 3/8" Mapa Burl top. It's really surprisingly well-spec'ed for the price.
Me, either (his playing style and music tastes). I won't deny having gone through a metalhead / shredder phase in my teens, bad hair included, but that's not been my thing for a long time. I credit Depeche Mode and a few others with being the catalysts for change back in the late 80s. But I feel similar about his talent and gear tastes and knowledge. Dude has skills. A worker, too.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #139
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I'm not a huge fan of veneers, either. My Hellraiser Extreme's top might as well be a screen printing on paper, whereas this has a good solid 3/8" Mapa Burl top. It's really surprisingly well-spec'ed for the price.
I like the burl on it. And it's good to hear positive first hand experience with his branded gear.

Yeah, my PRS SE has no veneer at all either, all Mahogany body and neck, in a basic stain. I chose it largely because it had no frilly thin veneers or anything else. Frankly I wish it didn't even have the bird inlays, my PRS Core has the moons/dots and it's way more to my personal sense of un-flashy.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #140
Gear Guru
 
Yoozer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo View Post
I've been adding cables to my Thomann list and i'm wondering if you know the approx length between each jack plug and sheath?
I'll measure it for you this evening and will report back!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #141
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I'll measure it for you this evening and will report back!
oo-er missus!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #142
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
I'll measure it for you this evening and will report back!

Thank you Yoozer, although I've added the MPP430 cables to my cart now so shouldn't need that now. They're probably more versatile split into 4 for my uses, although they come without the full 8 individual colours and sheath.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #143
Lives for gear
 
subspace's Avatar
August has been take the bait month for me, starting with that "free" Iris 2 license. I bought VIP 3.1 for 29 bucks to qualify, which is pretty cool for browsing across your whole VI library and creating VI/FX chain presets. The controller maps available intrigued me, I already had all the AIEP3 stuff, but the Waves Abbey Road stuff and Komplete were available as well.
Waves happened to be running another half off bundles sale and audiodeluxe had a summer19% off coupon, which stacked with a refer a friend 10% code I found online.. ended up buying Abbey Road Collection for $140. Well played Waves, well played.
I had been using the free 480L and Samplicity's M7 IRs in Space/Space Designer and started shooting them out with the Abbey Roads stuff. I liked the Waves algos for acoustic/mechanical verb, but the digital box captures were cool as well. I had bought pasttofuturereverbs $1 sampler and went to check them out where I found they had a summer bundle with all their products for $60. Again, purchased.
In addition to all their IRs, it also came with 17 Kontakt libraries. I had purchased a similar bundle, all the samplesfrommars, for $30 in January and had been using them in EXS24 as I only had the free Kontakt player. Between the libraries I already owned and the maps in VIP, I decided to look at NI stuff again.
I had looked at the Kontrol keyboards when the series 2 came out but decided to go hardware with a JD-Xi instead. Trawling Reverb, I hit upon the original S25 I had been weighing at the time, packaged with Komplete 11 and 7 expansions for $250. Purchased.
So on Friday I ordered a 3 tier keyboard/laptop stand to accommodate the Roland/NI keys, as well as another 12U over 9U rolling rack to free up some studio space for it.
So yeah, I got Iris 2 for free this month.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #144
My third, for recording triplets


Old 4 weeks ago
  #145
good month for me...cant believe you can get a rack like this for the price of a B stock P6



hang on I wanted a P6


Just putting them through their paces, sound brilliant so far


Old 4 weeks ago
  #146
Lives for gear
 
trick fall's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
My third, for recording triplets



I've got one of the premier ones of these and if you play bass, or guitar the DI is really nice. I've been going Tech21 Hot British pedal to Mooer Radar to GAP to KT2A. Also love the GAP to KT2A for vocals.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #147
Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post
I've got one of the premier ones of these and if you play bass, or guitar the DI is really nice. I've been going Tech21 Hot British pedal to Mooer Radar to GAP to KT2A. Also love the GAP to KT2A for vocals.
Nice, I saw the premier version but I needed a Mk2 to make a matching pair...is there a big jump in quality over the Mk3?

I love them for overdriving anything, but I prefer my ACMPs overall, likely because of the EQs as theyre pretty noisy otherwise...cheapo cheapo cheapo
Old 4 weeks ago
  #148
Lives for gear
 
rids's Avatar
 

Actually got these on the 2nd of the month. An M1R EX and a Digitech RDS 1900 that's been modded. Snake eyes dice were crafted to act as push buttons on it.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #149
Lives for gear
 
syntonica's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post

Omg! What horrible things have you done to that TR5x5?!? And can I have it?

(And congrats on the WSA1r! It's unique in all the right ways.)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #150
Lives for gear
 

We took a nice road trip and came home with an OB-6 keyboard. I've been shopping for an analog poly for a long time.

It sounds beautiful. The UI is excellent, it's easy to get around and a real joy to program. I love the feature set, it's a near perfect synth for me. The build quality is good.

Although I wish there was another octave on the keyboard, I still think it was a good decision to get the keys instead of the module. The OB-6 key action is much better than the action on my Nord A1, and a little nicer than my Roland A500 Pro controller, which I will now sell. The aftertouch is a pleasure to use, very sensitive and expressive, I can't say that for the Roland.

The presets are, for the most part, excellent. I haven't yet decided on librarian software. No patch names is not a big deal for me, I realized yesterday that none of my gear has screens or patch names.

I don't like the knobs on the OB-6. The pots are great, nice and smooth, but the knobs are cheap. (My Nord has those nice knobs that feel luxurious to the touch.) I'll survive it, haha, as new knobs would be pricey.

Also, I'm not a big fan of wooden end cheeks in general, but the end cheeks on this synth are ugly- an ordinary piece of lumber with a mud colored stain and no finish coat. I know a guy who does beautiful airbrush art, he is supposed to refinish my Deluge end cheeks (in dark grey with a blue racing stripe) so if he stops flaking out on me I'll get him to finish the end cheeks on the OB-6 in black with a blue pinstripe.

I'm happy, only two very minor cosmetic complaints on an otherwise amazing machine. I've been playing all day. Thanks Dave and Tom for such a sweet instrument.
Attached Thumbnails
August 2019 New Gear Thread-ob-6.jpg  
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump