The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Would you trade an Andromeda A6 for the upcoming Behringer collection?
Old 1st August 2019
  #31
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted a3c6337 View Post
< deleted by moderator >
I’m hoping to build a time machine to prevent Dave Smith from ever making the Pro 2.

Last edited by Reptil; 2nd August 2019 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: -
Old 1st August 2019
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m hoping to build a time machine to prevent Dave Smith from ever making the Pro 2.
What if you run into another version of yourself that has also travelled to the past from the future, and that has changed his mind about how important the Pro 2 has/would have become to mankind after it had been stopped (by you) from being built? What then?
Old 1st August 2019
  #33
Deleted a3c6337
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
But the sounds won't, and that's why I'm one of those people that's moved past vintage gear. The experience is nice, but I'd rather have something that consistently does what I need it to.
You'd be able to get that out of vintage gear if you're a professional with cash.
Old 1st August 2019
  #34
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted a3c6337 View Post
You'd be able to get that out of vintage gear if you're a professional with cash.
Thankfully, like everyone else here, I'm just a talentless hack.
Old 1st August 2019
  #35
Deleted a3c6337
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Thankfully, like everyone else here, I'm just a talentless hack.
Join the club if you're not officially in it already.
Old 1st August 2019
  #36
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
What if you run into another version of yourself that has also travelled to the past from the future, and that has changed his mind about how important the Pro 2 has/would have become to mankind after it had been stopped (by you) from being built? What then?
Duh. Then we fight to the death, of course!
Old 1st August 2019
  #37
No. But I would sell the andromeda if you’re not digging it any more
Old 2nd August 2019
  #38
It seems like this thread has been cloned by somebody else. Ironic isn't it? I imagine the dilemma I pose is probably the new situation for anyone with a high dollar vintage analog synth? I wouldn't have thought people like the other thread starter guy would feel that same way about current high $ analogs too but I guess i can see it.

Do you sell and buy 4-5 new Behringer goodies for the price of one synth from somebody else? In the case of vintage you have the fact they could go belly up any time, but also additional features like midi, patchpoints, multiple filter revisions like the Odyssey and stuff. Current ones like the OB6, Modal stuff, have yet to be akin to anything Behringer just yet. I like the OB6 but will it really be much better than the upcoming UBXa? Like $2000 better? I absolutely can't see buying one of those knowing a UBXa could be a year or two away or less. You can buy a Behringer Model D, a Neutron, B Odyssey, Deepmind 12, UBXa and an RD808 for about the price of one OB6!

My dilemma really is I have a $3000 synth which although cool could be alot more supply of fun stuff. It could of course break on it's own at any time. I think if the Andromeda were less old or impossible to find parts for I would be more keen to keep it. Imagine having a free pass to everything Behringer that you want for the next 3 years, and then not cashing in that pass because it spontaneously combusts. Yes the Andromeda is cool in the meantime but maybe it's like having a luxury car for 20 years. Maybe you do get sick of that old Rolls Royce. You could trade it for a Miata, a pickup truck, a motorcycle, and a work van. Can you say to yourself I had my fun with that Rolls, I had that experience, I'm ready for a bunch of new cheap but good modern toys? I had an old Jag sports car, great memories, but so glad I sold it!

Last edited by StarfishMusic; 3rd August 2019 at 07:13 AM..
Old 2nd August 2019
  #39
Lives for gear
 
marino's Avatar
My 2 cents: I have owned an Andromeda for 10 years. Despite being an experienced programmed, I found its UI to be a bit exhausting, and I never really loved its basic sounds. But I realized that it was a machine designed with a lot of love and attention, so I kept it for a long time.

Then a few years ago I found myself in some financial emergency. I got a good offer for the Andy, and thought, well, maybe that's the most rational thing to do, since I'm not using it much. So I sold it, and I regretted it immediately. Fact is, I would have liked to dig into it a little more - even though I wasn't sure whether I would have found the time and motivation.

If I were you, I would keep the Andy, and sell it only if you find yourself not using it for a long time. Otherwise, you will regret it. It's a complex machine, and you spent your time to learn it. It holds your patches, I assume...
Old 2nd August 2019
  #40
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Quote:
Would you trade an Andromeda A6 for the upcoming Behringer collection?
Oh hell to the no.
Old 2nd August 2019
  #41
Lives for gear
 

I think the real question marino points to is, which choice would you enjoy more, in the long run? If you've done what you want to do with the A6, could be time to move on.

I really can't imagine the A6 going up much in value; other, newer synths are out there that do much of what it can do. So discount holding on to it if that's a factor.
Old 2nd August 2019
  #42
Two words.

No.

Wait, nope..just one word.
Old 2nd August 2019
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
Do you sell and buy 4-5 new Behringer goodies for the price of one synth from somebody else? In the case of vintage you have the fact they could go belly up any time, but also additional features like midi, patchpoints, multiple filter revisions like the Odyssey and stuff. Current ones like the OB6, Modal stuff, have yet to be akin to anything Behringer just yet. I like the OB6 but will it really be much better than the upcoming UBXa? Like $2000 better? I absolutely can't see buying one of those knowing a UBXa could be a year or two away or less. You can buy a Behringer Model D, a Neutron, B Odyssey, Deepmind 12, UBXa and an RD808 for about the price of one OB6!

My dilemma really is I have a $3000 synth too which although cool could be alot more supply of fun stuff.
Well imo you’re arguing quality over quantity as far as OB vs. Ub but maybe that’s just me.
Also it seems weird to me the monetary part of a synth factors in so heavily with something that should just be a creative tool. Myself, if I’m not feeling it then it’s gone, period. There is something else out there that you will mesh with. The ultimate goal should be ease of expression/workflow I feel
Old 2nd August 2019
  #44
Lives for gear
Got one of the very last units brand new before they were gone for good. Similar experience to the OP - sounded great but I just couldn't get on with the interface. Felt overly complex compared to a similar synth I had at the time - the Waldorf Q+ keyboard. I sold the A6 and haven't missed it. I prefer synths that are easy to program and get good sounds out of, and the A6 for me was more a programmer's instrument than a musician's. Today I feel my OB-6 Module fills this void and then some, and it's much easier to work with.
Old 2nd August 2019
  #45
Lives for gear
I would forget Behringer. Does the Andromeda bring you something newer polysynths such as Prophet 12/8/rev2 can't do?
Old 2nd August 2019
  #46
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkle View Post
Behringer synths are cheap, no need to sell anything.
Yep. For the most part, each one costs little more than a monthly power bill.

And it's not like they're all showing up at once. So far, Uli's dreams have been much bigger than reality.
Old 2nd August 2019
  #47
Lives for gear
 

There is the inescapable mountain climb factor, with any complex synth.

I often turn to simpler synths just for the joy of going directly to playing them; it’s a totally different experience from the turn-it-on-and-patch-design temptation always present in a synth that gives you so much to work with.

So question is also whether you like having those alternatives to spend your time with, or not.

Having an A6 just as a preset player (or any current equivalent in complexity) is, IMHO, a waste. If you’ve run out of patch ideas and just want to chase classic analogue tone to play, well, trading in the A6 for more, pre-cooked varieties of that might be worthwhile.
Old 2nd August 2019
  #48
Lives for gear
 
seamonkey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramdown View Post
Y So far, Uli's dreams have been much bigger than reality.
That's not true...
Behringer Deep MInd
Behringer Neutron
Behringer Model D
Behringer MS-101
Behringer Odyssey
Behringer VC340

and we know there are more products coming. But of course if they released them too soon the Uli haters would be saying how cheap and no quality control.
So Behringer has to make sure everything is held to a high standard so they take extra time to make sure everything is right.

Uli even responded in this thread about why there had been a delay after he had announced production had begun, and that was they reviewed all the feedback and suggestions that were given by beta users and implemented some of those suggestions into the final product.

I don't own a single Behringer product so I'm not writing my comment as a fanboy. But if I didn't already love the synths I already own, I'd buy some of this stuff in a minute, except for the Model D because I'm not a fan of botique sized synths whether they be Roland or Behringer.
Old 2nd August 2019
  #49
Lives for gear
 

Flip it, Flip it good.

When the Behr'ies come along, you should flip it...
Old 2nd August 2019
  #50
Gear Maniac
 

Programming and playing the A6 is a different experience. And that's what I look for from each of my synths including modular gear and VSTs. Imo people constantly turn around equipment mostly because they're bored and tired of what they have. Until they settle in with the next thing for a while, and it starts all over again.

Almost 17 years with the A6 and it never gets boring. I have 2 now - picked up a spare for cheap years ago. Doesn't mean I want it as my only synth. As far as it breaking, well a lot of my body parts are irreplaceable as well.
Old 2nd August 2019
  #51
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
There is the inescapable mountain climb factor, with any complex synth.

I often turn to simpler synths just for the joy of going directly to playing them; it’s a totally different experience from the turn-it-on-and-patch-design temptation always present in a synth that gives you so much to work with.

So question is also whether you like having those alternatives to spend your time with, or not.

Having an A6 just as a preset player (or any current equivalent in complexity) is, IMHO, a waste. If you’ve run out of patch ideas and just want to chase classic analogue tone to play, well, trading in the A6 for more, pre-cooked varieties of that might be worthwhile.

Missed this before I posted. Spot on
Old 2nd August 2019
  #52
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
That's not true...
Behringer Deep MInd
Behringer Neutron
Behringer Model D
Behringer MS-101
Behringer Odyssey
Behringer VC340
I was basically referring to Behringer polysynths that could at least nominally take the place of an Andromeda. The OP already has a DM12, two Model D's, and two Neutrons - so he's already three down that list as it is.

To set the record straight, I'm not a Behringer basher at all. I quite like my DM12, and hope we see the UB-Xa sometime within the next few months. But... we may not either. I also recognize that Uli has a huge flair for self-promotion, and the appearance of a CS80 and (possibly) a JP8 clone are a looong way out.
Old 2nd August 2019
  #53
Gear Addict
 
satatek's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramdown View Post
and hope we see the UB-Xa sometime within the next few months.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #54
Gear Maniac
 

But we may not either.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #55
Lives for gear
 
pounce's Avatar
 

I’m keeping my Andromeda for sure.
The clones aren’t on my wish list, but the new synths I’m getting aren’t particularly cheap so the economic argument doesn’t work out that way for me. Getting a Waldorf Quantum or Baloran River is how you get the high quality modern gear that you keep for life. OTOH, for plenty of folks I’m sure would rather have a few of the cheaper synths and it’s cool if that floats your boat.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Sycamore View Post
Well imo you’re arguing quality over quantity as far as OB vs. Ub but maybe that’s just me.
Also it seems weird to me the monetary part of a synth factors in so heavily with something that should just be a creative tool. Myself, if I’m not feeling it then it’s gone, period. There is something else out there that you will mesh with. The ultimate goal should be ease of expression/workflow I feel
Of course money is a factor in creative tools. Creative tools are a good way to think about this stuff for me. Synths are investments in my creative output and joy of life and not how I make money. In fact I have far more money like many here probably in synths than I have in actual money! That needs to change. It comes down to I have one classic and unique tool that I've got to spend 20 years with and I can exchange it for a more modern tool set. I just can't spend another $3000 on synths in the next few years, and I'd hate all this B gear to pass me by.

It's not about sound quality, I actually think the B stuff for what it does sounds better than the Andromeda. Like someone said here, it remains to be seen what and when the UBX will be. The only other vco polys I have are og minilogues but they are stuck at 4 voices and are on the thin side. (I still like them) The Andromeda is also a tool set because it's so versatile, however it's really all one flavor of tone and experience. Having another 4 or 5 things Uli has planned including an 8 voice vco poly does sound temptingly funner than 1 synth I've had forever.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Just going to say it. I've never heard the A6 sound phenomenal and find this to be accurate:

http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezator..._andromeda.htm

Still I'd hold onto it because it's definitely not going down in value.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #58
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Just going to say it. I've never heard the A6 sound phenomenal and find this to be accurate:

http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezator..._andromeda.htm

Still I'd hold onto it because it's definitely not going down in value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus
I think that the Alesis team decided to follow that route in order to superfluously multiply the amount of buttons on the panel so that it looks more complex and can give a more intense orgasm to pot-bellied synth ******s
Ha!

I agree with his assessment and I take that view with most of these mega synths, especially when they are touted as a "do it all" box.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #59
Lives for gear
 
autoy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Just going to say it. I've never heard the A6 sound phenomenal and find this to be accurate:

http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezator..._andromeda.htm

Still I'd hold onto it because it's definitely not going down in value.
I thought the same until I heard this one. Around 3:50 it really got my attention.

It’s probably all the digital control of the voices turned off that makes the magic happen.
Old 3rd August 2019
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Marzzz's Avatar
I bought an Andromeda in its first production run, after hearing the NAMM intro demo by Dave Bryce. There were quite a few things to learn when programming it to get the sounds I wanted, specifically lowering the OSC levels to get it to sound warmer. For a period of time I also had a CS-80, and was able to directly compare and emulate it with my A6 because of the versatility of the filter mixer- I could dial in that CS-80 “fuzziness” with the bandpass filter- I created a patch “Van Jealous Strings” which was uncanny. I ended up selling it when Alesis discontinued them, because someone made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, and I was worried about its longevity.

That said, I do miss it a lot at times, nothing quite sounded like it. I am hoping that once the Moog One gets all of its issues worked out, that there may finally be a worthy replacement.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump