The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
what is a reasonable price for an Oberheim OB-X?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

what is a reasonable price for an Oberheim OB-X?

Title says it all, really interested in getting my hands on one but I don’t know what they have been sold for the last few months if one was available...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneage View Post
Title says it all, really interested in getting my hands on one but I don’t know what they have been sold for the last few months if one was available...
These are not my prices but the transaction history from Reverb.com. My own thoughts are that I would give up to $8000 or so for a great 8 voice one that needed no work. If you can get one for less (and it is in Very good to excellent condition), I would say go for it. The prices are steadily rising for the most part. The March 16th, 2018 sale looks like an outlier.

Transaction History

Used
New

Date Condition Sold Price
6/23/2019 Excellent $8,687.02
4/18/2019 Very Good $9,850
12/4/2018 Excellent $9,574.90
11/10/2018 Very Good $8,600
3/16/2018 Good $3,600
2/2/2018 Very Good $7,750
11/11/2017 Very Good $5,500
12/2/2016 Mint $9,000
10/11/2016 Excellent $2,750
Prices exclude shipping and tax/VAT/GST.
Old 4 weeks ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Wow, from 3k to 10k in three years...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Vintage double VCO 8 voice poly is about 10k in 2019, 2k up or down depending on historical prestige. This is the reality now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, a few years ago I would’ve said maybe 7000 for a fully serviced one with midi. That’s just a little bit more than I sold mine for. But these days, whatever the last one sold for is basically what they’re worth.

I think your best bet is to find one that needs work and then build that into your total potential expenditure.
Old 4 weeks ago
not all of them tho.

you can still get p5 rev3 for 5k.

jup6 for 3k, or even less without europa.

obxa is 4k

synthex is 6k. there are crazy asking prices sometimes but they do not get sold.

you scan still find jup8 and obx for 7k.

do not look at reverb prices as a reference. its has became the gathering place for most outrageous asking prices for everything. and most greedy of "reputable service dealers/re-sellers". like the Soundgas and similar. you can count on them having twice as high price for anything. just ignore them.

i sometimes sell and buy on vemia, and lot of people who come there really have money and can pay (chemical bros, aphex etc and many mega $$ collectors i know personally) but you dont see these polyphonics sold for these mega sky high reverb prices at all. even less on local classifieds.

hence i never buy on reverb. i ALWAYS find what i wanted somewhere else for much cheaper. from a poly, to a chorus pedal, to a freakin synth knob. they overprice EVERYTHING.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
not all of them tho.

obxa is 4k

synthex is 6k. there are crazy asking prices sometimes but they do not get sold.

do not look at reverb prices as a reference. its has became the gathering place for most outrageous asking prices for everything. and most greedy of "reputable service dealers/re-sellers". like the Soundgas and similar. you can count on them having twice as high price for anything. just ignore them.

i sometimes sell and buy on vemia, and lot of people who come there really have money and can pay (chemical bros, aphex etc and many mega $$ collectors i know personally) but you dont see these polyphonics sold for these mega sky high reverb prices at all. even less on local classifieds.

hence i never buy on reverb. i ALWAYS find what i wanted somewhere else for much cheaper. from a poly, to a chorus pedal, to a freakin synth knob. they overprice EVERYTHING.
This however has a considerable effect on local listings as well “just because I saw a listing of this synth for 10k on eBay”. They don’t sell but they set expectations and set a perceived market value. When you list a Juno for 3k and let that sink in for months suddenly 2k doesn’t seem that outrageous -and these are actual sold prices-. Well hello, The new price for a Juno is 2k. And this is happening with everything that has a minimum prestige.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

hopefully Tom Oberheim has something new in the works

I am 100% not interested in sinking that much cash into an old, fragile instrument, with old components that could die at any moment
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
not all of them tho.

obxa is 4k

Hey Clusterchord, I agree with your entire post. I do think if a fellah takes his time and has patience all those good deals can be found... eventually. Just so everyone is clear, though, the prices I posted were the sold prices for the last 8 or so that were purchased on Reverb and not just the asking prices. I bought a Jupiter 8 from a friend of a friend last December and, though it was expensive, it was much lower than they are listed for on Ebay or Reverb.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Never heard of Vemia. It is a FB musical instrument auction?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Dang... OBXA only $4000? Mine still needs repair, quoted no more than $800 worse case scenario. I thought by now it would be worth @ $6500 in good condition. Interesting.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
Dang... OBXA only $4000? Mine still needs repair, quoted no more than $800 worse case scenario. I thought by now it would be worth @ $6500 in good condition. Interesting.
Oh, if you get yours repaired you'll have no trouble getting over $6000 for it. At $4000 it wouldn't last a day on ebay or reverb.

Just take a gander at the sold listings below. A few have gone cheap but nice ones with 8 voices have gone for 9 and 10 thousand.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...only_sold=true

p.s. My advice: Fix it up and keep it!

Last edited by Mr Knoch; 4 weeks ago at 10:48 AM.. Reason: p.s.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I hate these artificial prices because they do ultimately push the price up. Something about Soundgas & things like it make me feel a little sick, especially when I see something I paid 50 bucks for being sold for $1000.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Never heard of Vemia. It is a FB musical instrument auction?

it's a private auction site. when you buy, you send them money. once the unit arrives you have several days to inspect if its in condition as described. this sellers make an effort to say everything that is good/wrong with it. only after that they release the money to the seller.

also they have organized pickup and delivery across europe. so they take care of things.

this service of course costs some with their fees and all, but its the safest way to buy i know, when it comes to expensive vintage gear. also you see things you dont see anywhere else, like emulator modular, vcs3, kobols, and mega rare stuff.

in recent years i bought sequential prophet 2000, casio fz10m, small stone, some ensoniq bits etc. all as advertised no problems.

not sure if linking is allowed here, but just google spheremusic vemia you'll find it. owner is one guy who is really nice and helpful, Peter Forrest.

@ Mr Knoch : i forgot to point out the aprox prices i listed are in thousand euros, and found on the european market, i haven't been following the OB-Xa pricing in USA recently.
Old 4 weeks ago
Reverb, hipsters No1 music equipment supplier.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Reverb bull**** vintage prices had a positive effect, it made selling brand new synths viable for constructors. One can argue "well I won't get this or that sound", sure I personally don't give a f*ck. A $2600 OB6 or P6 sound very good to my ears and my wallet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When I was looking for a Nord 3 ( IDK why) I found this cowboy on Reverb asking $1000 and when I offered less he said it was "the only one for sale in the world" and rudely told me to borrow the money from my grandmother...
It was tempting to tell him to stick it up his cowboy arse (he was in Texas).... I found several offers a few days later for 700.
It does seem Reverb has a lot of suckers and would-be exploiters of suckers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
Oh, if you get yours repaired you'll have no trouble getting over $6000 for it. At $4000 it wouldn't last a day on ebay or reverb.

Just take a gander at the sold listings below. A few have gone cheap but nice ones with 8 voices have gone for 9 and 10 thousand.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...only_sold=true

p.s. My advice: Fix it up and keep it!
OB-Xa prices are way too much at the moment (even at $4000--really don't see them selling for $6k) and I will look forward to them plummeting as soon as that dumb UB-Xa is released.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I am also currently looking for an OB-X...
today I went to see an early revision 6 voice, not advertised or up for sale but found it “through the grapevine”. It was very nice but I didn’t end up buying it because the seller would not take a penny less than $8300 which IMO is a bit too much for a 6 voice with no midi. Of course he quoted reverb prices, but nowadays everyone looks at that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Wow, from 3k to 10k in three years...
This is normal when common sense loses against emotions.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkDNA View Post
I am also currently looking for an OB-X...
today I went to see an early revision 6 voice, not advertised or up for sale but found it “through the grapevine”. It was very nice but I didn’t end up buying it because the seller would not take a penny less than $8300 which IMO is a bit too much for a 6 voice with no midi. Of course he quoted reverb prices, but nowadays everyone looks at that.
Unfortunately they are ruining it for everyone, because now everyone says "i checked the price on Reverb". To make things worse, with rare machines there is really nothing anyone can do. If some greedy seller asks $20.000 for it, eventually after a year it will become "common" to ask 15k, because alternative is to buy from that greedy seller for 20k. Since there are producers who earn $1M a year or more (thanks to excellent marketing and average music), for them there is no difference between $10k and $20.

True story:
A friend (also a GS member) at one point was selling a modular to one of such ppl, i no longer remember, but it was one of the "names" (yet not even near top 20) and a friend was asking something like $12k. However, this DJ worried about shipping asked if there is a external case for it and a friend said no but i can build one. This DJ asked him, how much would be the case, and a friend jokingly said $3k. The guy wired him $15k instantly!

*1) The case was just a couple of metal plates and a rack (typical shop will build you one for max $200). A friend couldn't believe, but now it would be seem unprofessional to say, hey i was kidding, so he kept the money and mouth shut.

*2) This DJ only works ITB. But recently decided to go for "real analog stuff".

https://wealthygorilla.com/top-20-richest-djs-world/
Old 2 weeks ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Unfortunately they are ruining it for everyone, because now everyone says "i checked the price on Reverb". To make things worse, with rare machines there is really nothing anyone can do. If some greedy seller asks $20.000 for it, eventually after a year it will become "common" to ask 15k, because alternative is to buy from that greedy seller for 20k. Since there are producers who earn $1M a year or more (thanks to excellent marketing and average music), for them there is no difference between $10k and $20.

True story:
A friend (also a GS member) at one point was selling a modular to one of such ppl, i no longer remember, but it was one of the "names" (yet not even near top 20) and a friend was asking something like $12k. However, this DJ worried about shipping asked if there is a external case for it and a friend said no but i can build one. This DJ asked him, how much would be the case, and a friend jokingly said $3k. The guy wired him $15k instantly!

*1) The case was just a couple of metal plates and a rack (typical shop will build you one for max $200). A friend couldn't believe, but now it would be seem unprofessional to say, hey i was kidding, so he kept the money and mouth shut.

*2) This DJ only works ITB. But recently decided to go for "real analog stuff".

https://wealthygorilla.com/top-20-richest-djs-world/
Just shows that we're in the wrong business here

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search