The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
ISO hardware sampler/sequencer with alternating samples
Old 21st July 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 

ISO hardware sampler/sequencer with alternating samples

Does a hardware sampler/sequencer exist that allows for alternating samples? Round robin or random.
Old 22nd July 2019
  #2
Gear Head
 

E-MU E4XT Ultra can do random, from the manual:

"Random Sources
Random modulation sources can be used when you want the timbre of the
sound to be “animated” in a random or non-consistent manner.
..
The Crossfade Random function generates the same random value for
all voices in a preset. This source is designed to be used for crossfading
voices(samples), although you may find other uses.
..
In certain situations, such as setting up drum kits, you may want to
randomly switch between several voices. Crossfade Random is a
modulation source specifically designed to handle this situation. Unlike the
other random sources, Crossfade Random generates one random number
for all voices that are assigned to the same key.
"

Those random generators can be used in the matrix(cords) to all kinds of destinations among other things sample crossfading.

Cheers,

M
Old 22nd July 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Pretty much any mpc has this
Old 22nd July 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
CarLofgren's Avatar
 

Think the MPC 1000/2500 JJOS can do that.

/C
Old 22nd July 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Acid Mitch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
Pretty much any mpc has this
60, 3000, 2000 and 2000xl don't. With Mpc1000 you need jj os because the Akai os doesn't have it.
Old 22nd July 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 

thanks for the clarification, I had thought that pretty much all MPC can play multiple samples per pad and switch between them, using velocity, round robin or random...

however my experience with the hardware MPCs is limited to the the MPC5000 so there's that..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
60, 3000, 2000 and 2000xl don't. With Mpc1000 you need jj os because the Akai os doesn't have it.
Old 22nd July 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Octatrack can do random sample selection

Arguably you could also do round robin although I'd have to try but with the designer lfo I see no reason why not
Old 22nd July 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Mastropiero's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misonic View Post
E-MU E4XT Ultra can do random, from the manual:

"Random Sources
Random modulation sources can be used when you want the timbre of the
sound to be “animated” in a random or non-consistent manner.
..
The Crossfade Random function generates the same random value for
all voices in a preset. This source is designed to be used for crossfading
voices(samples), although you may find other uses.
..
In certain situations, such as setting up drum kits, you may want to
randomly switch between several voices. Crossfade Random is a
modulation source specifically designed to handle this situation. Unlike the
other random sources, Crossfade Random generates one random number
for all voices that are assigned to the same key.
"

Those random generators can be used in the matrix(cords) to all kinds of destinations among other things sample crossfading.

Cheers,

M
Isn't it a generic EOS4 feature? If the E4XT can do it, it's probably available on any Emulator 4 ULTRA capable of loading the latest OS version (4.61 or 4.70).
Old 23rd July 2019
  #9
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
Isn't it a generic EOS4 feature? If the E4XT can do it, it's probably available on any Emulator 4 ULTRA capable of loading the latest OS version (4.61 or 4.70).
Well u have to set it up first and save as preset, then u can reuse it with different samples and so on..
Old 23rd July 2019
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
thanks for the clarification, I had thought that pretty much all MPC can play multiple samples per pad and switch between them, using velocity, round robin or random...

however my experience with the hardware MPCs is limited to the the MPC5000 so there's that..lol
Think thats only in the new ones or the MPC Software (or a JJOS 1000/2500 as mentioned). They have velocity/cycle/random for options.
Old 23rd July 2019
  #11
Gear Head
 

On the Elektron Digitakt you can randomize the sample slot selection via the LFO sample and hold style.
Old 24th July 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Acid Mitch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
thanks for the clarification, I had thought that pretty much all MPC can play multiple samples per pad and switch between them, using velocity, round robin or random l
The 60 has two layers you can velocity switch and you can have three samples on the high hat slider but no round robin or random or anything. It has no filters or effects or anything either.
By the time you get to 2000xl there are 4 velocity layers but still no round robin or random.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump