The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Ultimate hardware effects for synths (Eventide, Lex, and TC's oh my!)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ultimate hardware effects for synths (Eventide, Lex, and TC's oh my!)

Now that I have a nice mixture of analog and digital synths that I'm happy with, I'm revisiting what would be nice to polish everything off with in the land of hardware effects. I tried out some lower budget units, and wasn't as thrilled with the results as higher end units.

I mainly like nice, lush reverbs, interesting delays, and great choruses. Not really interested in distortion or manglers. I'm also not interested in spending a fortune either, otherwise I'd just get a 960L, 6000, and an H9000 and call it a day.

Here's my list of consideration - Strymon Big Sky and TimeLine, TC Electronic D Two, M3000 and Reverb 4000, Eventide Eclipse/Orville/H7600/H8000, Korg DL8000R, Kurzweil KSP8 and Lexicon PCM81 w/ Dual FX card.

I really really love the Big Sky and its lush/huge reverb. Very intrusive on the sound, sometimes in a very nice way. The TimeLine is also a very nice variety of really cool delay effects and love the sheer variety.

The D Two is unique with its ability to tap in delay patterns of your own. The M3000 with a great sound and plethora of presets sounds great, and does a lot of things. The Reverb 4000 though, man those 'verbs are amazing and transparent.

The Eventides have always been amazing to me. Getting rid of my DSP4000 over a decade ago, probably wasn't my best idea but I did. The Eclipse is nice, but feels so cut down. The H8000 seems like the best choice, but Orvilles are getting cheap, and seem to sit between the H7600 and the H8000. But even the Eclipse I really do love, with its great sound and unusual effects that are musical.

The Korg DL8000R was an amazing little gem I found looking through the preset libraries for Italo. Really powerful delay, and great character.

The Kurzweil KSP8 seems to have a good reputation, and a lot of variety.

The Lexicon PCM81 seems to be the sweet spot of more stuff included than the 80, but half the cost of the PCM92 and not as 'shiny and polished'. It just sounds good!

So, what's your opinion? What would you get/keep? What would you ditch and why? What's too much overlap between these units? Would you replace one of these with something else?

Love to hear from the Slutz that I know have a huge collection of effects.

Devon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Right now I'm using

H3000 D/SE - amazing, especially for chorus / modulation / pitch shifting / delays the verbs are good but not outstanding
H8000FW + Eve/NET - this does pretty much everything very very well
Oto Machines BIM, BAM and BOUM - I love all of these too, they have a different flavour from the Eventide stuff
Still looking for another flavour of delay and reverb but haven't found myself 'needing' anything more than what I've got above.

I've also got some pedals, but tend not to use them so much.

For tone shaping I've got a small amount of outboard too, Handsome Audio Zulu, LtL Silver Bullet and an API 2500.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I have an Orville and a PCM81.

My first impression based on what your needs are (reverb, delay, chorus) would be to get a PCM81.

However, if you had and liked a DSP4000, then I can't imagine you'd hate the Orville - except, to me, the draw with this unit is that it does so much beyond usual time-based effects.

Don't discount the fragility of these older machines. I went through two purchase\returns of PCM70s before I finally got shipped a properly working one (both were billed as "fully functional"). My PCM81, also sold as "fully functional", arrived with unusable encoders (fixed easily enough with deep cleaning). My Orville will sometimes fail to boot if it's a particularly hot summer day and I'm not running AC.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchtriangle View Post
I have an Orville and a PCM81.

My first impression based on what your needs are (reverb, delay, chorus) would be to get a PCM81.

However, if you had and liked a DSP4000, then I can't imagine you'd hate the Orville - except, to me, the draw with this unit is that it does so much beyond usual time-based effects.

Don't discount the fragility of these older machines. I went through two purchase\returns of PCM70s before I finally got shipped a properly working one (both were billed as "fully functional"). My PCM81, also sold as "fully functional", arrived with unusable encoders (fixed easily enough with deep cleaning). My Orville will sometimes fail to boot if it's a particularly hot summer day and I'm not running AC.
Oh ya, I absolutely loved my DSP4000. I thought I was going to get a good deal on a H7600 at the time, and it never panned out. I like the Eclipse, esp for the price, but I'm not a fan of the interface compared to the others and it's also limited. For the prices of the Orville's these days, I'm not sure if it's worth holding out for a H8000 or H7600 and get a good deal on one of those sometime because it's so much more. I don't need surround, just stereo. But that doesn't mean I can't feed stereo into another stereo, or have two separate effects going at the same time. But I worry if I go for the Orville, I'll just pine away for the H8000 anyway. Orville stopped in 2003??? so they are also at least 16 years old. The others could be that old, but could be brand new still too. Eventide's aren't bullet proof but many do last a long time. Hmmm....

Now the PCM81, I'm sold. It sounds gorgeous, has great variety esp with the Dual FX card, and sounds different. But I still worry about too much overlap. But which will be the keeper, and which will be the overlap? Many? None? Will see.

Devon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes, the PCM 80/81 are incredible, and an incredible bargain these days.
Just skip the 3000 and go 4000 if you are in TC land- it is so much better!
Regarding delays, in my experience the very best are the Prime TimeII95 and Super Prime Time97. Their core sound is like nothing else, with the exception of the PCM42 which is also wonderful - and roadworthy - but is mono if this is of concern to you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For TC verbs I actually prefer the M300 compared to the M3000, its a bit too realistic for me.. - I really like the algos in the 300 but there isnt enough control over them.. the short smeary ambiences are too short, Cathedral wont do 20 seconds etc

Does anyone know if theres a way to get those algos but with more control?
Old 4 weeks ago
I was at guitar center a few months back and on a lark grabbed a TC Echobrain and found I really like it. It’s a very gritty analog delay pedal. I’ve got nicer delays but really like the dirty sound of this cheap one too
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here's my current setup and plans:

H8000FW + Eve/Net -- it breaks my heart, but I think I'm going to sell this because I rarely use it. It's too complex for me. I bought it as the "Ultimate Eventide".
H3500 -- love this one tremendously. Be at peace with high heat and transformer hum/
OTO BAM -- fantastic tabletop reverb. I think of it as a nice 70s/80s reverb in a compact box.
Kilpatrick Redox -- I like it as much as the BAM, has the cool VESA mounting, and lacks the OTO's inscrutable dot interface
TC M4000 -- fantastic for realistic reverbs at a reasonable price (i.e. compared to Bricasti or Quantec). I use it across master bus as a room 'glue'. I am probably going to sell this as well since for my style of music realistic environment reverbs aren't as important. I originally bought it so I didn't eat the Eventides for more mundane stuff but I expect I'm going to either take my H8000/H3500 and put it in that spot.
Benson Tall Studio Reverb -- best studio stereo spring reverb I've ever heard, bar none. But it's very specific sounding (springy)
Meris Mercury 7 -- it is Blade Runner in a box, the spirit of a 224XL. Love mine.
Strymon Big Sky/Blue Sky -- had both, ended finding that they had too much coloration. The Big Sky shimmer is far too recognizable.
Eventide H9 -- sounded great, but hated the limited interface

For delays:

Meris Polymoon -- got sucked in by amazing demos, but the amount of effort to dial it in, especially with alt functions, means I'm going to sell it
D Two -- had one, sounds great for clean delays, but nightmare to program from the front panel IMO
OTO BIM -- amazing sound, but didn't deal with the OTO dot display (I liked the sound so much I bought and sold it twice, convincing myself I'd figure it out)
Empress Zoia -- modular effects in a box, lots of people going nuts over this right now (including me). Works great with synths.
Free the Tone delay -- cool looking and sounding. Fiddling interface (up/down buttons vs. knobs), but sounds great.
MF104 -- best analog delay on the market; had a PCM42 that I replaced with this
Spacecase TE-1 -- godlike tape delay. Although the awesome of vintage tape but with the modern convenience of working I'm selling mine though because the TE-2 should be landing in the next few months.
Strymon Timeline/Dig/et. al. -- had most of the Strymon delays; all solid, but like all Strymon gear impart a definite sheen to things
Empress Echosystem -- probably the most versatile and good sounding delay, but ultimately sold it to get special purpose delays. Interface had too many alt/unknown functions for my taste, but I would recommend it to anyone that needs all-the-delays in a box
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

PCM80/81 are absolutely great for chorus, delay and reverb. Very good value for money at the moment. I've got two PCM80s in my rack, hardwired into my Prophet 12 and OB6. The programmability and possibilities go way deeper than you may expect from the front panel. Still pretty straight forward to programme though (if you have them racked at eye level and arms reach at least...).

The OTO BAM should be on your consideration list if you like that old school, grainy reverb. I absolutely love mine. It does a different thing to the Lexicons, and it's a lovely knobby, hands on interface (well, the display is a bit too primitive, but it's all good otherwise). I never bother saving presets as it's so fast to dial something in. I've not purchased it yet, but I've been eyeing up the BIM for some delay duties.

Strymon BigSky. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the BigSky. The BAM and the Lexicons always sound great, I could listen to them forever. For whatever reason, I find the BigSky rapidly gets tiring on the ear. I do like the more coloured algorithms like Cloud and Bloom in small doses, but I wouldn't replace it if it died or got lost or stolen. Every once in a while it can hit the spot, but I feel it's a much lower end bit of kit compared to the PCM80's and OTO BAM, despite costing a similar amount.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What about a box for great choruses and other mod effects? I can’t seem to find a stereo chorus that appeals to me. I’m not thrilled with the chorus in the Strymon Mobius, it’s bland, and the demos I’ve heard of the Eventide H9 choruses didn’t knock me out (plus I’d hate that UI). What are some other suggestions for lush chorus effects?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Love my DSP4000 and PCM 81 they are amazing units. Im scaling back though and selling both as well as a PCM91.
Old 4 weeks ago
My personal experience:

Kurzweil KSP: I would skip a KSP8 in favor of something with a little more dirt/character, a DP4 or H3000/40000 for example. The KSP sounds great, but it is pretty clean sounding, I wouldn't go so far as to say sterile though. I ended up with just a Kurzweil Rumour/Mangler combo and I am decently happy with that since you can get them really cheap. I wired them in series using the SPDIF digital connector and been fairly happy with them. I would not buy a KSP8 again because Laserverbs is not a good enough reason to tie up 800-1000 in one box.

Eclipse: Keeper. Get a PCMIA card from Italo De Angelis and be amazed at what the Eclipse can do. I thought it was fairly limited too until I started studying what Italo De Angelis did on his presets. There is more variety in that little silver box than you might think. The only thing I might swap it out for is a H8000 now that those have really dropped in price.

Strymon: Keepers. These pedals are a good set up IMO. I have the Moebius, Timeline, and Bigsky wired in series as one big effects unit. With the free editor/librarian these things can be set up in pre/post of each other and the algorithm's sound really good and are easy to tweak either manually or through the librarian. These are also pretty clean or "glossy/shiny". The combination of a Timeline on the "ice" setting with a long delay line at octave higher + Big Sky on the "Shimmer" setting = instant heaven for me. However this setup is going to run you $800-1000 used for all three. That's approaching H3000/h4000 territory.
These were gifts over the years (kind of like ties...if someone doesn't know what to get me, it's usually a pedal"

PCM80/81: Those are high on my want list and Ive spent a good amount of timing probing the depths of a PCM81, but finding a reasonably priced dual fx card can be tough. Most of the ones I have seen approaching a 1/3 to half the asking price of the unit itself. Abandon the hope of a cheap dual fx card, be a true slut and buy two PCM 81's. /Enablers enabling

I don't have much experience with TC gear, so I wont comment there. I would encourage you to look some other cheap boxes that are often overlooked (Yamaha SPX series, the Roland Dimensional stuff unless that was the stuff you tried and didn't like. I really dig the chorus/delay on the 90's Yamaha and Roland boxes.

So recommendations: I am striving to be more of the "fewer, but better boxes" sort of slut, so upgrade to a H8000 + PCM 81.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not enough love for the Source Audio Ventris and Nemesis in this thread...
Old 4 weeks ago
I have an H9 Max and like it a lot. It really needs to be used with an iPad, though. It sometimes doesn't connect via BT to my Macbook Pro which frustrates me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
What about a box for great choruses and other mod effects? I can’t seem to find a stereo chorus that appeals to me. I’m not thrilled with the chorus in the Strymon Mobius, it’s bland, and the demos I’ve heard of the Eventide H9 choruses didn’t knock me out (plus I’d hate that UI). What are some other suggestions for lush chorus effects?
Boss MD500

I got this a few weeks ago and the tweakability and workflow is solid. SOunds great too.

The dimension effect is HUGE, i'm pretty sure you'd be happy with it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
By the way, I'm in the same boat as TS. He pretty much described my situation perfectly. I have a nice collection of synths now, both analog and digital, I'm looking now to add some character to their sound.

Along with the Boss MD 500, I also have an Earthquaker Devices Westwood "translucent overdrive" pedal and I have a Boss DD 500 on the way. I have the MD 500 hooked up to an expression pedal and so far I've only really used some of the presets but I'm happy so far.

Looking to pair these devices to make my mono synths sound wild- SE 02, Grandmother, Sirin, Circuit mono station, etc.

I've found that the westwood really adds some interesting character to bass.. I had it paired up with the Circuit mono station and I felt like I had a brand new synth on my hands.. it's that good.

I was thinking about the Rainbow machine from EQD but I'm not sure. I appreciate weird sounds, but I kind of feel like I wouldn't use it that much.. seems a bit like it has one trick and thats it. Maybe I havent seen some really good demonstrations with synthesizers.

Any other suggestions for some weird pedals are welcome.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Those are my keepers:
Meris Polymoon – Out of this world delays
Meris Mercury 7 – Bladerunner in a box plus a fantastic room reverb
Planned: Meris Midi interface for saving and calling presets
GFI Specular Tempus – it can be either a fantastic reverb or delay or both, the real fun begins when you make your own presets
Two Klar Teknik EQP-KT – Passive equalizers with tubes, adding some mojo during tracking
Old 4 weeks ago
i concurr that takiing into account bang for the buck, PCM81 plus Orville is a great combination. if most of your sources are electronic, ambient etc.

since Orville can give you two separate analog stereo i/o engines, with 81, you will have total of three stereo multifx/reverbs on mixdown. which is solid and will not leave you wanting.... however

if you would add a third box, something complementary, than it depedns on the genre, application etc. indeed TC 4000 is a great complement as in it does much more realistic rooms and halls n stuff than both lex and eve. also, it has quite a flexible and wonderful sounding non linear algorithm to enhance percussion and drums. much better at it than Eventides. its plate is an emul of emt250, therefore unrealistic and vibey by design. and i have to say they have succedded - i love putting it on string pads, mellotrons sound,,, big 70s drums etc. lexicons plate is phenomenal too, but sounds.. Lexicon. you want both.

otoh, if 4000 isnt interesting for you, then id go for a bigger lexicon. one where its girth and larger-than-life-magical-something surpasses 81,,, and by that i mean 224, 300 or 480. since the first and last are expensive, and somewhat maintenace hazard, i would suggest 300. 81 is much more flexible as multifx so even with that it would have its place. also having two lexicons at mix time is much better than having one. to state the obvious. they just bloody work so effortlessly.

my daily, core setup if you will is 300 4000 70 and 81. also Orville is connected via two aux sends for engine A and B. tho its not on every mix. but i tend to use it more the moment some ambiental, electronic sources come into the picture. to be honest, i kinda dried out on i/o so i use 224X only on specific projects (need to disconect one othe existing ones). and just recently aquired AMS RMX, so now i am looking for another converter asap. AMS is fantastic, but not crucial for synths IMO. its grandeur lays with transient stuff: drums, percussion, effects and vocals, and some solo instruments.

still on my list: H3000. used one recently, and while algorithms are similar , i.e. a subset of what i have in Orville, for certain things its hairier lofi/hifi character is the bomb. just wonderful. loves synths and guitars.

so, another option could be: 81, 3000 and 4000. it all depends, you of course need to try yourself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

lots of good replies so far.
I'll touch on a few things that haven't been mentioned yet (not knowing what your price-point is and your tolerance for tracking things down).

For chorus/Dimension D/flanging kind of sound, the tc 1210 is great. You can dial in all kinds of crazy stuff from that simple front panel.

Dedicated phasers - Roland SPH-323 or Mutron BiPhase. Both give you 2 LFOs for modulation which really helps get a varity of phasing effects.

Flangers - Roland SPF-325 or if you're really flush with cash - Marshall Time Modulator.

Lo-fi, character delays include the Bel BD-80 (or 2400, 3200), Deltalab Effectron II ADM 1024 or similar.

Multi-effects boxes include the Roland RSP-550
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Be warned: This is the most expensive thread you will read this year
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For choruses (chorii?) I use a Cluster Flux, a Baloran Triko, and and an Elkorus. Elkorus and Triko are marvelous for string synth sounds -- I have the Triko tied directly to my MKS-80's outputs. My Elkorus is on an aux on my main board so I can use it with my Therevox.

Cluster Flux has the most grit and character, and by far the easiest to find and also just tweak. I love all three, but if I had to choose a single one I think it would be the CF despite lack of presets and not being rackmountable.

Triko and Elkorus are both fairly difficult to find. I bought the Triko because the Elkorus was nowhere to be found for almost a year, then right after I got my Triko I stumbled on an Elkorus. The only reason I haven't sold one or the other is because they're in different rooms.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My current setup:

Rack units
- Lexicon PCM 70
- Eventide H3000 D/SE
- Eventide Eclipse
- Roland SDD-320 Dimension D
- Roland SBF-325 stereo flanger/chorus-
- Moog 12 stage phaser (aka the MKPH)

Pedals
- Boss CE-1
- Strymon El Capistan
- Pro co Rat

Likely plans: buy a second used Eclipse or possibly upgrade from the Eclipse to a used H8000FW if prices come down to ~$2000

To the OP's question though, for your first pro rack effects unit, I would suggest checking out the PCM 80/81. I've never owned one myself, but I suspect it's the most versatile box you can get for your money. It does nice, polished studio effects and reverbs of course, but it also does insane when you push it.

I almost bought a PCM80/81 this spring, but got a good deal on a PCM 70 and chose that instead. I've been very happy with the PCM 70, but then again I have a lot of other effects to round out my arsenal, so my goal was character and vibe (i.e. and not all-around versatility) with that particular purchase.

For straight reverbs, @ clusterchord recommended the Lexicon 300, which is an amazing box, though IMO it's covered pretty well ITB with Relab 480.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
Yes, the PCM 80/81 are incredible, and an incredible bargain these days.
Just skip the 3000 and go 4000 if you are in TC land- it is so much better!
Regarding delays, in my experience the very best are the Prime TimeII95 and Super Prime Time97. Their core sound is like nothing else, with the exception of the PCM42 which is also wonderful - and roadworthy - but is mono if this is of concern to you.
Agreed on the 81; great bargain, and sound great!

Only thing I waffle on with the 3000 is the fact that it's dual engine and does more than 'just' reverbs. There is even preset overlap between the two. But man, those VSS4 smooooooth reverbs do sound good. Going to have to give it some serious thought between the two. But the 4000 does sound amazing.

And yes, I can't/won't do mono. Must be stereo. The Prime Time is also nearly 40 years old! The fact these things still work is amazing, but it be too much of a ticking time bomb to me with that much age.

Devon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
For TC verbs I actually prefer the M300 compared to the M3000, its a bit too realistic for me.. - I really like the algos in the 300 but there isnt enough control over them.. the short smeary ambiences are too short, Cathedral wont do 20 seconds etc

Does anyone know if theres a way to get those algos but with more control?
I prefer the transparent/smoothness of the M3000 (and R4000.) I don't have anything else like it, and I was pleasantly surprised on just how good it sounded on synthesis stuff as well as more natural instruments.

Devon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Sycamore View Post
I was at guitar center a few months back and on a lark grabbed a TC Echobrain and found I really like it. It’s a very gritty analog delay pedal. I’ve got nicer delays but really like the dirty sound of this cheap one too
I know there are a LOT of cool pedals out there. But I'm more into having a preset library, and more importantly, something with readable names on them. Least it helps narrow the field for pedals quite dramatically for me. I also need something that I can twist a knob or easily push a button to switch presets too. I really liked the Korg SDD-3000 pedal, but I have these things sitting in a rack, and not on the ground. Switching presets is a pain. That's where the Strymons are nice as it's a simple knob twist.

Devon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Essential pieces for me are:

2 x Klemt Echolette NG51
2 x Boss ME-5
Tube Spring Reverb

I have a lot of stuff I rarely ever turn on. I've become enamored by the iPad for digital FX.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Here's my current setup and plans:

H8000FW + Eve/Net -- it breaks my heart, but I think I'm going to sell this because I rarely use it. It's too complex for me. I bought it as the "Ultimate Eventide".
H3500 -- love this one tremendously. Be at peace with high heat and transformer hum/
OTO BAM -- fantastic tabletop reverb. I think of it as a nice 70s/80s reverb in a compact box.
Kilpatrick Redox -- I like it as much as the BAM, has the cool VESA mounting, and lacks the OTO's inscrutable dot interface
TC M4000 -- fantastic for realistic reverbs at a reasonable price (i.e. compared to Bricasti or Quantec). I use it across master bus as a room 'glue'. I am probably going to sell this as well since for my style of music realistic environment reverbs aren't as important. I originally bought it so I didn't eat the Eventides for more mundane stuff but I expect I'm going to either take my H8000/H3500 and put it in that spot.
Benson Tall Studio Reverb -- best studio stereo spring reverb I've ever heard, bar none. But it's very specific sounding (springy)
Meris Mercury 7 -- it is Blade Runner in a box, the spirit of a 224XL. Love mine.
Strymon Big Sky/Blue Sky -- had both, ended finding that they had too much coloration. The Big Sky shimmer is far too recognizable.
Eventide H9 -- sounded great, but hated the limited interface

For delays:

Meris Polymoon -- got sucked in by amazing demos, but the amount of effort to dial it in, especially with alt functions, means I'm going to sell it
D Two -- had one, sounds great for clean delays, but nightmare to program from the front panel IMO
OTO BIM -- amazing sound, but didn't deal with the OTO dot display (I liked the sound so much I bought and sold it twice, convincing myself I'd figure it out)
Empress Zoia -- modular effects in a box, lots of people going nuts over this right now (including me). Works great with synths.
Free the Tone delay -- cool looking and sounding. Fiddling interface (up/down buttons vs. knobs), but sounds great.
MF104 -- best analog delay on the market; had a PCM42 that I replaced with this
Spacecase TE-1 -- godlike tape delay. Although the awesome of vintage tape but with the modern convenience of working I'm selling mine though because the TE-2 should be landing in the next few months.
Strymon Timeline/Dig/et. al. -- had most of the Strymon delays; all solid, but like all Strymon gear impart a definite sheen to things
Empress Echosystem -- probably the most versatile and good sounding delay, but ultimately sold it to get special purpose delays. Interface had too many alt/unknown functions for my taste, but I would recommend it to anyone that needs all-the-delays in a box
The Oto's were out for me with its interface, and the Bam sounded very similar to the Big Sky, which its interface I didn't mind.

However I've never seen the Redox before! Interface seems not bad, and it's stereo. Huh, I'll have to check that out more.

Never heard of the Benson Tall Studio Reverb either. Wow, it does sound nice, but for $1500, I could get an Orville, and a whole heck of a lot more choices. But it DOES sound nice, I must say!

The Meris and Empress line was out for me without a display, although it did sound good too! The Zoia looks interesting. I saw that a few weeks back for the first time. I think I'll let that pot simmer for awhile and see what it churns.

The Free the Tone I've never seen before either! Man, so much stuff to research. Can you select presets with the up/down arrows? If not, it's out, as it would pose the same problem as the Korg SDD3000 did for me with hard to press spring loaded switches (and I don't have room for pedals on the ground, just in a rack.)

Given me a lot to think about, thanks!

Devon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Essential pieces for me are:

2 x Klemt Echolette NG51
2 x Boss ME-5
Tube Spring Reverb

I have a lot of stuff I rarely ever turn on. I've become enamored by the iPad for digital FX.
You seen Eventide released iPad effects?

Devon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub View Post
PCM80/81 are absolutely great for chorus, delay and reverb. Very good value for money at the moment. I've got two PCM80s in my rack, hardwired into my Prophet 12 and OB6. The programmability and possibilities go way deeper than you may expect from the front panel. Still pretty straight forward to programme though (if you have them racked at eye level and arms reach at least...).

The OTO BAM should be on your consideration list if you like that old school, grainy reverb. I absolutely love mine. It does a different thing to the Lexicons, and it's a lovely knobby, hands on interface (well, the display is a bit too primitive, but it's all good otherwise). I never bother saving presets as it's so fast to dial something in. I've not purchased it yet, but I've been eyeing up the BIM for some delay duties.

Strymon BigSky. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the BigSky. The BAM and the Lexicons always sound great, I could listen to them forever. For whatever reason, I find the BigSky rapidly gets tiring on the ear. I do like the more coloured algorithms like Cloud and Bloom in small doses, but I wouldn't replace it if it died or got lost or stolen. Every once in a while it can hit the spot, but I feel it's a much lower end bit of kit compared to the PCM80's and OTO BAM, despite costing a similar amount.
I never did heavy research on the Oto simply because I can't stand its interface. The Big Sky is an ambient dream machine. It becomes more the sound than the synth, but in some respects I'm ok with it. I wouldn't use it on everything, but for ambient, it's nice. Wish Meris and Oto had interfaces I liked better. :(

Devon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
Oh man, I couldn't agree more on the Mobius. Very light touch, and because of that, I can live with out it. The demos impressed me more than playing with it in person. It's like almost it wasn't there. But in the cases of the stereo pan/tremolo, that was literally making me have nausea.

I love Eventide, but not the H9 interface either. For a few hundred more, you can have an Eclipse with much more content and better interface.

Choruses though? Really loving the PCM80/81.

Devon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search