The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone else find current pop vocals fatiguing?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Foot View Post
I literally get a pain in the middle of my head when subjected to modern ''music''. Even a totally acoustic guitar and vocal cd I listened to a while back was over compressed, saturated and slammed into a million limiters, clippers etc. I listened to a remastered jazz cd recently and I could only guess that the ''professional'' who performed the remastering ''surgery'' has never heard a guitar in real life. The guitar on this cd was just maximized using whatever it took. Any type pf eq. Any type of clipping. Any type of compression. I'm too annoyed to continue writing.
Right. When the whole “digitally remastered” trend kicked in all my audiophile friends jumped on board, not music makers but guys who owned $10,000 + stereo systems. I was appalled at what these remastered CD’s sounded like. They ruined Miles Davis records, they sounded terrible. This list goes on, but what they did to The Smiths is unforgivable. What was once beautiful, dark and warm recordings were now compressed, bright and brittle. I knew THEN I wasn’t playing in that loudness game, and that actually put DAW technology in a bad light to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I sometimes tune into current pop radio on my daily commute & what has struck me for a while in terms of vocals is singers tend not to 'sing the song' / serve the song these days - instead going for an overblown approach that seems most suited for wowing talent show judges and audiences on shows like Idols / X Factor.

It's all gone full Richard Harris - MacArthur Park: ('I'll never have that recipe again...oh .nooooooo').

(For those who may not know the incomparable MacArthur Park... actually I like this uniquely bizarre epic classic... got to love the Wrecking Crew, Jimmy Webb et al)

Last edited by RE201; 3 weeks ago at 07:39 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Although the song is incredibly irritating, Ellie's vocals aren't to me. It actually shows (hand sheepishly raised) what I like about current pop vocal production - clean, rather dry, and sounding like she's right in the room next to me.

20 years ago producers would mask mediocre vocals by drowning them in reverb. Nowadays they keep them clean and auto-tune them. I prefer the latter.

Last edited by Kramdown; 3 weeks ago at 07:41 PM.. Reason: oops
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDelmarva View Post
When I hear radio songs it seems like pop singers have adopted the same type of fake R'n'B accent. Hard to describe but it seems like everyone is aiming for the exact same voice, one version for men and another one for women.
we'll remember these times nostalgically when everyone will sing Billie-Eilish-style this is inevitable and will happen soon.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The main problem is if you want your track to "fit in" and not disappear on the radio, or a playlist from a streaming service it has to stand out, not in quality of the music but in general level. Then everyone does the same thing, it's like a catch 22 situation or a snake eating its tail.

The days of beautifully levelled albums are done and dusted..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
we'll remember these times nostalgically when everyone will sing Billie-Eilish-style this is inevitable and will happen soon.
I don't think so. She's kind of a one trick pony (bizarre unsettling lyrics delivered in hushed tones over a minimalist beat) and she's gonna have to change it up herself if she wants to stay on top.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon View Post
If your existence is meaningless it doesn’t mean that everybody else’s is as well.

Culture vultures gonna culture vulture though.
Yawn
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The aesthetics of contemporary pop are bad enough, but what really gets on my tit is the exclusively angst ridden, self aware delivery by these 'kids'....everything is so ****ing 'heartfelt'.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Modern pop music fatigues me. That's all I can really say.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

what is this pop you speak of? I think I might have heard it somewhere...

ohh the pleasures of JOMO
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

yes, I agree. most pop vocals are mixed way too loud to start with

then all the compression that pushes it right into the ANNOYING zone

plus it seems everyone needs to sing like a cartoon character these days: no one uses a normal voice
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So much clipping distortion and 8kHz sizzle in the pop music mastering, that's what kills my ears the most!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramdown View Post
I don't think so. She's kind of a one trick pony (bizarre unsettling lyrics delivered in hushed tones over a minimalist beat) and she's gonna have to change it up herself if she wants to stay on top.
Billie Eilish and/or her producers did not invent that manner of singing like overdosed and about to comatose. this was around for a long time, just not in pop music.
but she proved this can be hyper-popular.
and whatever hyper-popular stuff is always cloned & replicated.

what's even more attractive about this manner is that it does not require any vocal abilities at all. moreover, it even does not require autotune. it's very inspiring for those who can't thing, but want their N minutes of fame.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

^ Honestly I don't think Billie Eilish sings like she's comatose at all. She's very woke - and with a singing style like she's personally whispering disturbing thoughts right into your ear. You can almost feel her breath on your face when listening to a Billie Eilish track.

It's the combination of with those lyrics plus that kind of delivery that make it work - which would make it hard to copy. But I think she's ultimately going to have to move on anyway if she wants to stay relevant.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE201 View Post
I sometimes tune into current pop radio on my daily commute & what has struck me for a while in terms of vocals is singers tend not to 'sing the song' / serve the song these days - instead going for an overblown approach that seems most suited for wowing talent show judges and audiences on shows like Idols / X Factor.

It's all gone full Richard Harris - MacArthur Park: ('I'll never have that recipe again...oh .nooooooo').

(For those who may not know the incomparable MacArthur Park... actually I like this uniquely bizarre epic classic... got to love the Wrecking Crew, Jimmy Webb et al)
The follow up album from Jimmy Webb/Richard Harris was The Yard Went On Forever.
I think stylistically it's an even better album.
It goes even farther with the Webb weird lyrics and rather experimental instrumentation. And ANYTHING with Hal Blaine playing drums is already a winner in my book.
Spent many an hour listening to both albums, drowning my sorrows over beer and lost love.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
Don't they all have like autotuned applied to their vocals now? Voices have no character now, I think that's my biggest issue.
So true! Half of the time I can't tell the singers or rappers apart. I really find it refreshing to hear some sort of crack, accent, "failures" and stuff like that.
Same with photography/branding; it seems like we have come to this overly perfect, retouched, "Nosedive"-world.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
They're already here. I think the minimalism these days sort of started with Lorde "Royals", then Justin Bieber "Love Yourself/What do you mean" and then Selena Gomez and Halsey.....
Everyone is doing ASMR-whisper-hipster pop now. I am for sure tired of it lol
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not just vocals, I find all instruments part also of modern pop music very fatiguing.
The general sound quality of commercial music is bad today.
All in front, all squashed, no dynamics and the sound just doesn't breath.
I guess I can recognize Pro Tools sound in it, I have never been a Protools lover, especially for the Protools Wave combo which is the signature of bad music of last decades.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I can't stand pop music, I don't really care about the vocals, but you can't just tune them out, they're way too load!
Aside from that, a lot of pop music is unoriginal. Usually atleast it's well produced, but sometimes... .
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by And Then Some View Post
Here's a tired old song just released 4 days ago. Eliie Goulding bucking the trend and doing what her masters want. They crack the whip and she dances like the good lil monkey she is

Check list:

*)Technology product placement (moblie phone)
*)Monotonous vocals
*)Muddy production
*)Sexxy bod tho
*)Hoodies to side with the facist Antifa
*)Somme tired rapper at 1:07 kicks in (smoking likes he's the vape King/ kids love vaping)
*)Ellie riding a knife as thats so edgy.
*)All black males in vid as whitey bad (Fck whitey)

From 3:04 onwards we are treated to an acapella of a bunch of tards singing the track badly in their 'own' style. Woo lovely.

But what do I know it already has 9,534,983 views. So Idiocracy is here to stay and I should shut my filthy mouth.
This is utter garbage. Every painful, agonizing second of it sucked until I hit "stop".
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post
I don't care much for this song, but every time I hear it I'm surprised at how unprocessed her voice sounds. I'm sure it's processed to hell and back (and probably done in about 800 takes in PT) but it sounds surprisingly natural aside from the layering in the chorus.

Great song, I wouldn't have really thought of it as modern pop though, but to be fair I don't hear enough modern pop to really know.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

veering off topic.....did anyone see Katy Perry stole dark horse from a Christian rap group ?..... that's funny
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
veering off topic.....did anyone see Katy Perry stole dark horse from a Christian rap group ?..... that's funny
I think you mean her producers/song writers
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDelmarva View Post
When I hear radio songs it seems like pop singers have adopted the same type of fake R'n'B accent. Hard to describe but it seems like everyone is aiming for the exact same voice, one version for men and another one for women.
Here is an example, I want to be violent when I hear kids doing this, it's like they have a speech impediment at times.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I thought she has a wonderful voice, but I'm not a fan of that style.
But it's just the style of the time and like all things in popular music in 5-10 years new artists will be emulating another popular singer and style.

I think it would be good for a lot of the new singers to go back and listen to some Billy Holiday and find out what real soul singing is about, not this faux stuff!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
I think you mean her producers/song writers
who cares....it's still funny
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search