The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
What dated gear do you still use today?
Old 21st July 2019
Oh wow! I dont know why but when I first read Yoozer's reply I saw the PS and my head went 'Casio Portasound'??? hahaha. That things cool looking. Same architecture as the MS???? Never seen one before now.

Man its too bad we never got a Sound Blaster with the Z-Plane filters in them hahahaha.
Old 21st July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
But... Soundfonts can be played by a variety of software samplers.
I often wonder if there is an equal to the Emu chips? My favorite is the original Emu8000. The newer Emu10K gave up pitch bend memory. Similar to what you can do with the CS-80 where a bent note stays when you release the key. Fun with a ribbon controller like an Expressionmate.
Also they both have patch memory where you can play and sustain a note or chord, then add in layers of new patches without loosing the original. Together with the slowest attack and release times, and a super slow LFO (one cycle in a minute), 32 completly independent voices, you have a monster ambient/pad machine. The filter sweeps are fantastic.
Always thought it was more the Emu chips than the Soundfonts themselves.
And it uses almost no computer CPU to play back, hence the slow EEE works without hiccups.
Perhaps those Emu samplers get close?
Old 4 weeks ago
stk
Gear Addict
1 when does “dated” become "classic" become “vintage”? (UwaveXT, re-201, 80s Tascam mixer, Quadraverb, MS-20...)
2 my newest synth contains engineering that traces its lineage back, what, 50 years? Tre ironic! (Moog Grandmother)

Last edited by stk; 4 weeks ago at 03:16 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Rider View Post
And it uses almost no computer CPU to play back, hence the slow EEE works without hiccups.
Perhaps those Emu samplers get close?
I’ve been thinking about this a bit again and have come to the conclusion that there may be better and more modern ways to handle this, but not really cheaper ones than what you have now. The more modern E-mu Emulators run also on non-E-mu hardware, suggesting that all the work is now done by the CPU. Basic sample playback is also not CPU-intensive.

Stock up on some spare Eee PCs and rock on, before the retro PC gaming folks snag them up.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I feel like we just had this thread but...

Prodigy
TR-909
MS-20
OSCar
SH-101
JP-8080
H-3000B

All still used all the time

PS: I was kind of wondering about that too, is the JP-8080 considered vintage now...?

Last edited by 24dB; 4 weeks ago at 12:07 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

When I got my Juno-60 in 2003, it was vintage already. I think 20 years is a nice cutoff date, but it just sounds kind of weird once plugins start hitting their vintage cutoff dates - and with virtual analog, something similar seems to be going on. Almost as if they have to age a decade extra before they deserve the label.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Rider View Post
That is an old Korg PS-3100.
Here it is next to an early MS-20. A little larger and weighs about 70 lbs. Makes the original MS-20 look like a mini next to it.
Thanks for info. You are one of the (rare) examples of gs users that i'm aware of that shows great setup and great music made on it - i remember you posted link to one of your tracks about 2 years ago and it was great As far as i remeber it was made all on this moog modular but i may be mistaken now.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search