The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Korg Wavestation : one trick pony? use cases anyone?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Korg Wavestation : one trick pony? use cases anyone?

Hey guys! I am a long time hobbyist player and sound designer.

I have always been fascinated by the Wavestation. I own and can fully operate the VST plugin no problem.

My main use at this point is for secondary sound FX and perc sequences inside a project. It works absolutely wonders for those lofi Art of Noise / TV / Industrial type of sounds.

It also sounds really nice as a KB when I put my head into it but it seems that most of the oompf comes from the wavesequences (which are tedious to build) and layering.

For basic layering, my Kawai K4R sample set does sound a bit better (even though they are less quality) for my style (experimental, ambient, dark industrial soundtrack)when just layering and noodling.

It seems that the basic character of samples in the WS are not quite as compelling as other alternatives. BUT the sheer quantity and variety of samples (entire VS series as well) does make up for it.

Even so, one would think the M1 has better samples for simple layering.

Anyways, what is the typical use for this one at this point? Are there any artists using it today? Can anyone point to classi examples of the WS in use? My only reference was Chris Snow which used it extensively on XFiles (everyone loves Xfiles right?)

Anyhow, I am starting to view the WS as an evolved version of the PPG wave, and using this angle it does help me in coming up with interesting combinations but sometimes not easy to fit anywhere.

Thoughts?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks mate I actually know this song pretty well!

Was this 100% WS (aside voices)?

My impression is that the WS is pretty good overall as long as you keep it inside tight boundaries (i.e. don't blend it too much with other synths.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Special Guest

All the pads and pianos are wavestation the only other musical sounds are dx100 solid bass for the baseline .

There is wavestation all over the first four Orbital albums , it plays very well alongside analogue synths as they seem to fill very different but complimentary spaces.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Explore the hard sync
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul h View Post
All the pads and pianos are wavestation the only other musical sounds are dx100 solid bass for the baseline .

There is wavestation all over the first four Orbital albums , it plays very well alongside analogue synths as they seem to fill very different but complimentary spaces.
Well hello!! Thanks so much for chiming in and providing feedback! Lovely songs by the way thanks for that!

Would love to know if the drums WS as well? Any use for them?

Cheers!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Thanks a lot for your input Paul!!!
Having the SR version I can say it is very hard to program it, really hard (without a dedicsted programmer).

Quote:

Old 4 weeks ago
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Explore the hard sync
Crickey , in all the years of having a wavestation I never found the hard sync button!!! Where is it? I thought I knew it like the back of my hand...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I love building wavesequences with the software versions. If only there was a way to get the softwares to export sysex for my SR.. I am not reprogramming those waveseqs again with the SR, that'd be bloody torture

Its a great minimal techno box as long as you have the cards/PCMs
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m reaching out to mine now in an attempt to fondness it before PH
Old 4 weeks ago
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yul View Post
Well hello!! Thanks so much for chiming in and providing feedback! Lovely songs by the way thanks for that!

Would love to know if the drums WS as well? Any use for them?

Cheers!!
No worries , happy to be of service. The drums are not wavestation although I did do two tracks that are entirely original wavestation keyboard drums and all . Recorded straight out of the back from the stereo output.

The tranquilliser and the tranquilliser busy tranquillising . I e tried to link bellow but you can you tube them if your interested and the link doesn’t work!

https://youtu.be/DrDicGeVvYM

https://youtu.be/XOFyrQoR5a0
Old 4 weeks ago
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzurd0 View Post
Thanks a lot for your input Paul!!!
Having the SR version I can say it is very hard to program it, really hard (without a dedicsted programmer).
Much easier on the original or the ad for sure. I do think it sounds better than the plugin too. More air or something. Hard to put your finger on.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I did do two tracks that are entirely original wavestation keyboard drums and all . Recorded straight out of the back from the stereo output.

The tranquilliser and the tranquilliser busy tranquillising . I e tried to link bellow but you can you tube them if your interested and the link doesn’t work!

https://youtu.be/DrDicGeVvYM

https://youtu.be/XOFyrQoR5a0
Good stuff!! Thanks for sharing. I am presently using my WS as a percussion bank by assigning a layer to individual keys and sequencing via my DAW! Glad to see others have gone similar ways!

Thanks and have a great day!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wavestation manual:

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

The only thing that kept the Wavestation down, IMO, is the interface, and the software version isn’t that great either. The iPad one looks better, but as far as I can tell, you can’t get it to export patches for the VST version. If it could, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. My hope is they touch it up and release a new version. While they’re at it, add the ARP Odyssey plugin’s filter, or some other cool analog filter emulation.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The iPad version is tops pops
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can anyone point to classi examples of the WS in use? My only reference was Chris Snow which used it extensively on XFiles (everyone loves Xfiles right?)
FWIW when Mark Snow was scoring the X-Files he mainly used a Synclavier as his synth of choice. I am a huge fan of his amd have studied his methods extensively.

He also liked to use the EMU Proteus. Line as the samples came from the Emulator III line (the famous whistle sound from the main theme is a preset from a Proteus 2). He mainly liked to manipulate complete samples rather than use wavetables.

This is a great article about how he worked on the X-Files

https://www.eatthecorn.com/itw/keyboard/
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Can anyone point to classi examples of the WS in use? My only reference was Chris Snow which used it extensively on XFiles (everyone loves Xfiles right?)
I almost forgot this part, but Æon Flux (the TV show) used a bunch of wavestation presets:

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hey guys! I am a long time hobbyist player and sound designer.

I have always been fascinated by the Wavestation. I own and can fully operate the VST plugin no problem.

My main use at this point is for secondary sound FX and perc sequences inside a project. It works absolutely wonders for those lofi Art of Noise / TV / Industrial type of sounds.

It also sounds really nice as a KB when I put my head into it but it seems that most of the oompf comes from the wavesequences (which are tedious to build) and layering.

For basic layering, my Kawai K4R sample set does sound a bit better (even though they are less quality) for my style (experimental, ambient, dark industrial soundtrack)when just layering and noodling.

It seems that the basic character of samples in the WS are not quite as compelling as other alternatives. BUT the sheer quantity and variety of samples (entire VS series as well) does make up for it.

Even so, one would think the M1 has better samples for simple layering.

Anyways, what is the typical use for this one at this point? Are there any artists using it today? Can anyone point to classi examples of the WS in use? My only reference was Chris Snow which used it extensively on XFiles (everyone loves Xfiles right?)

Anyhow, I am starting to view the WS as an evolved version of the PPG wave, and using this angle it does help me in coming up with interesting combinations but sometimes not easy to fit anywhere.

Thoughts?
I programmed the Wavestation for years, it is a "soundtrack" machine.

Lots of 80's TV shows used it.

Not a replacement for a PPG, not a replacement for a Prophet VS, a Wavestation is it's own thing.

(And yes, I have a Microwave XT and a Prophet VS)

I got mine in 1998, still have it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Crickey , in all the years of having a wavestation I never found the hard sync button!!! Where is it? I thought I knew it like the back of my hand...
Hi Paul, Alan posted a manual screenshot a bit further down

When using WS hard sync, it pays to start with simpler waveforms, or at least, making one of the waveforms a simple one, because the process throws up all sorts of crazy aliasing stray harmonics.

Some combinations sound terrible, I mean, I like gritty distorted sounds, but they can sound really bad! Sometimes, tragically, the start of the sweep can sound golden, like something really fresh, but the middle part gets too distorted.

So it’s just a lot of experimentation, there’s definitely some worthwhile tones in there. I’d imagine that even PWM might be possible.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Is a wavestation the main melody in Chime as well?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wavestation is all over the La Femme Nikita soundtrack.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Make one or more copies of a wavesequence and then use different waveforms and tunings while keeping the timing and crossfades of the original to create less recognizable layered textures.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

You can manually scan the waveforms with the joystick or the mod wheel. As there is virtually no limit to how many waves are there in a sequence, you can scan them all. When programming a waveform from the start, each new step always inserts the next waveform in line. It only takes about 500 clicks...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

In a patch with two identical waves, detuning and stretching the kbd tracking of one wave just a bit past 100% allows for subtle phasing. With higher values and hard sync it gets weird fast.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Will any of the Korg apps (iWavestation, Odessei, etc) work in Garageband/Ableton/Reaper? I’ve read conflicting comments online.

Want them for my music, but don’t want to get a decades old hardware.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
FWIW when Mark Snow was scoring the X-Files he mainly used a Synclavier as his synth of choice. I am a huge fan of his amd have studied his methods extensively.

He also liked to use the EMU Proteus. Line as the samples came from the Emulator III line (the famous whistle sound from the main theme is a preset from a Proteus 2). He mainly liked to manipulate complete samples rather than use wavetables.

This is a great article about how he worked on the X-Files

https://www.eatthecorn.com/itw/keyboard/

Hey thanks for clarifying! I believe Snow did use the WS on some instances but to your point his main tool was Synclavier.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Just in case any Kronos owners were not aware, the K includes all waveforms from the original Wavestation. Vector Synthesis WS-style is also possible. A Kronos wavesequence only has 64 steps compared to the 255 of the WS, but apparently that's enough. Kronos forum user Postman (PJP) did the community a huge service by re-creating the original Wavestation patches and performances into Kronos programs and Combis:

Wavestation Reloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman
CHANGES IN VERSION 2018.03.08.
The following changes have been made (with special thanks to Jack Hotop, Korg USA):

- improved velocity response settings (better match with the original)
- improved effect settings (better match with the original)
- improved filter settings (better match with the original)
- fix for the out of tune samples in the KRONOS (568 to 586)
- improved pitch slope for patches with a modified pitch slope (better match with the original)
- Use of limiting to make the volume of the performances more in line with the Kronos fabric settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
When using WS hard sync, it pays to start with simpler waveforms, or at least, making one of the waveforms a simple one, because the process throws up all sorts of crazy aliasing stray harmonics.

Some combinations sound terrible, I mean, I like gritty distorted sounds, but they can sound really bad! Sometimes, tragically, the start of the sweep can sound golden, like something really fresh, but the middle part gets too distorted.

So it’s just a lot of experimentation, there’s definitely some worthwhile tones in there. I’d imagine that even PWM might be possible.
Regarding Hard Sync:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman
One other thing: HD1 does not have hard sync, as the WAVESTATION had. However it is only
used for RAM2 20:Hard Sync. I made something up there that sound a bit like synced sounds,
but is obviously not hard synced, and thus called: No Hard Sync#.
This was the only sound I could not recreate with the Kronos.
As for simulating PWM on the WS, it should be possible, since waveforms 380-396 are single cycle pulse waves. From the WS Voice List:

380 Square
381 Pulse02
382 Pulse04
394 Pulse28
395 Pulse30
396 Pulse31

The K includes all these single cycle waveforms, plus their inverted forms (Pulse-02%, Pulse-04%, etc). It also has a smattering of pulse widths from classic synths (MG, 2600, OB, Pro5, Poly6, MX12, EXB).

Wavesequenced PWM sounds pretty good on the K, esp when decimated to 12kHz and 10 bit. Grungey....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviljho View Post
Will any of the Korg apps (iWavestation, Odessei, etc) work in Garageband/Ableton/Reaper? I’ve read conflicting comments online.

Want them for my music, but don’t want to get a decades old hardware.
One of the Korg Gadget synths does wavesequencing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsitamon View Post
Halcyon is probably my favorite all time track.
FTFY
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search