The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Connecting A Korg Electribe 2 Sampler to Roland MX-1
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear

Connecting A Korg Electribe 2 Sampler to Roland MX-1

Hello! First post here after failing to find an answer via googling

I've been collecting Roland's boutique modular synths and drum machines and so far have the TB03, TR09 and TR08. These are all connected via USB to a Roland MX-1 mixer, which I am using as a master for these devices.

I recently picked up the red Korg Electribe Sampler 2, and am wondering how I can add this to my set up?

I was hoping I could independently program loops on the electribe, then have it connected as a slave to the MX-1. Is the best way to do this via the midi out on the MX-1 going into the midi in on the electribe, and the audio out from the electribe going into the channel 5/6 stereo input on the MX-1? Will Start/Stop on the MX-1 then play the pattern on the Electribe in sync with the other stuff I have going on the boutiques?

Any help with this would be appreciated
Old 16th July 2019
Old 17th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quick update;

Purchased a midi cable to connect the Electribe 2 to the MX-1, Midi out from MX-1 going into Midi in of the Electribe 2. Set the Midi channel of both to 10. However, hitting start on the MX-1 does not start the Electribe, and the tempo on each unit is not locked either. In short, Midi connection seems to do nothing.

There are also sync inputs on the Electribe, but I'm not sure what to connect to these. The trigger out from the TR-08?

Again, any advice would be appreciated.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavystylus View Post
Hello! First post here after failing to find an answer via googling

I've been collecting Roland's boutique modular synths and drum machines and so far have the TB03, TR09 and TR08. These are all connected via USB to a Roland MX-1 mixer, which I am using as a master for these devices.

I recently picked up the red Korg Electribe Sampler 2, and am wondering how I can add this to my set up?

I was hoping I could independently program loops on the electribe, then have it connected as a slave to the MX-1. Is the best way to do this via the midi out on the MX-1 going into the midi in on the electribe, and the audio out from the electribe going into the channel 5/6 stereo input on the MX-1? Will Start/Stop on the MX-1 then play the pattern on the Electribe in sync with the other stuff I have going on the boutiques?

Any help with this would be appreciated
yes this is the best way to connect this to the MX1.. or you can use any audio inputs, but I send the MIDI out of mine to a THRU box that has 4 outs so it gives me extra MIDI to send to other devices that don't connect via USB. make sure if you are sending MIDI clock to the MX1 from a DAW to set sync as auto, it will then pass the clcok to the MIDI out.
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Quick update;

Purchased a midi cable to connect the Electribe 2 to the MX-1, Midi out from MX-1 going into Midi in of the Electribe 2. Set the Midi channel of both to 10. However, hitting start on the MX-1 does not start the Electribe, and the tempo on each unit is not locked either. In short, Midi connection seems to do nothing.

There are also sync inputs on the Electribe, but I'm not sure what to connect to these. The trigger out from the TR-08?

Again, any advice would be appreciated.
MIDI out from MX1 to MIDI in on Electribe with MX1 sync setting to internal should set the Electribe in perfect sync.
Old 17th July 2019
Here for the gear

My Electribe 2 was second hand, and I have just discovered that I need Korg specific Midi adaptors as they are wired 'a non standard way'.

Ordered some from a seller in Germany - hopefully this will resolve my issues!

Will update next week - thanks for the help so far
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

My Electribe 2 was second hand, and I have just discovered that I need Korg specific Midi adaptors as they are wired 'a non standard way'.

Ordered some from a seller in Germany - hopefully this will resolve my issues!

Will update next week - thanks for the help so far
huh ? never heard of this before, MIDI is a standardized protocol..?

you just need one of these adapters..

Old 17th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post

you just need one of these adapters..
Hi - I was going by this comment on the Korg forums; http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpB...d854f4a8989b35

I have a pair from amazon that look like this, but they are not 'korg specific', so I thought that could be the issue? Anyway, I'll have an experiment with the midi settings again tonight (set the MX-1 to INT) but if that fails it's possibly the adaptor I am using.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
when it comes to the minijack midi protocol, different manufacturers have them wired differently. i think arturia and novation use the wiring but korg has it differently.

try setting the electribe sync to external midi as well. i found that it gave the best results depending on the what sends the midi clock. auto also works well but sometimes it was a bit wonky. external midi has been rock solid for me. though i am sending clock from an erm midi clock
Old 17th July 2019
Gear Guru

this is why I hate non 5 pin MIDI connections, I refuse to buy and use any synths that use that stupid little jack to MIDI nonsense..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search