The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
The Solution
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
All the djs that were Ron heads seem to have that same approach of beating the hell out of the tracks. Catching you off guard. Twisting you out. Then throwing in some unexpected sweet thing to resolve all the tension. People going wild.
Also this is a funny thing to me. A lot of people will talk about “Ron Hardy” and then you hear them dj..... and they’re mixing songs that sound like each other into one another all at the same tempo and energy level.

Meanwhile we have recordings of Ron playing live. He was all over the place energywise, sound wise, tempo wise, genre wise, etc. His sets were about juxtaposition more than seamlessness.

In my opinion, a dj who is capable of this style of playing music is the best opportunity you will have for a proper party. This is of course not a mainstream concept, and the number of great djs with this ability is small.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
. The main twist would be no publicity. No flyers, no websites. The lineup would never be known and you wouldn't be able to see the dj. Maybe, and only just maybe, a silhouette. But that would be it. Powerful sound, naturally. One main room and one chill out room playing ambient/experimental stuff.
You could throw a sheet over your head in the studio to much the same effect.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Not my scene but thought this may be of interest

Skepta glimpses the 'future of rave'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49057233
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There's no way I'd pay to see a show if I didn't know who it was going to be ahead of time.

The idea that some DJs, producers, or so called taste makers are that awesome is absurd.

No one is that cool, not consistently enough to work.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
There's no way I'd pay to see a show if I didn't know who it was going to be ahead of time.

The idea that some DJs, producers, or so called taste makers are that awesome is absurd.

And the name game hype is thusly propagated
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon View Post
And the name game hype is thusly propagated
The only thing I propogate is knowing what I'm spending my money on before I spend it.

And I don't care about name hype. It can be DJ Bob That No One Knows, I don't care about popular or trendy or hype, at all.

Do you do out to eat blindfolded? Let others buy your car or clothes or gear for you? Of course not

Do you go to the movies and let the high school kid selling tickets pick your movie for you? F no.

The hilarious part is that some of you actually think your tastes are that great. The presumptuousness is amusing.

We all have pretty good tastes. But enough to run anonymous nights of surprise acts, successfully, consistently, in many cities, much less as though that's the solution to the scenes overall issues?

Nope.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The only thing I propogate is knowing what I'm spending my money on before I spend it.

And I don't care about name hype. It can be DJ Bob That No One Knows, I don't care about popular or trendy or hype, at all.
This seems like a really dumb distinction to make.

Quote:
Do you do out to eat blindfolded?
When I trust a restaurant I will order specials or recommendations from the server of things I wouldn’t have on my own.... because I trust a good chef.

Quote:
Let others buy your car or clothes or gear for you? Of course not
Because that’s the same thing? Lol

Quote:
Do you go to the movies and let the high school kid selling tickets pick your movie for you? F no.
One of my favorite directors Nicholas Winding Refn has a free streaming service where he rescues and makes available very obscure weird old movies. I know nothing about them but I check them out. Because I trust the director.

Maybe the djs and artists you listen to are the equivalent of the high school kid selling movie tickets?

The ones I **** with are the equivalent of an excellent chef and an auteur director.

Quote:
The hilarious part is that some of you actually think your tastes are that great. The presumptuousness is amusing.
You’re the one whose taste is so good that you can’t trust any of the dj or artists, not me.

Quote:
We all have pretty good tastes. But enough to run anonymous nights of surprise acts, successfully, consistently, in many cities, much less as though that's the solution to the scenes overall issues?

Nope.
Clearly you don’t. Maybe you should work on that.

The best of anything is never common and never easy to find. If you’re messing with the common crap everyone else is, I totally get why you would be so distrustful.

But at least don’t then pretend that your taste is so great.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I was fortunate enough that when I was going out all the time I never paid to get in, but I never cared who the dj was either. Just that the music was good.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

So I guess you never heard of dj residencies back in the 70s/80s/90s?

The names Larry Levan, Ron Hardy, Tony Humphries mean anything to you? There are djs who still play on their level today but because of the way the scene is structured they don't get to develop the same way those 3 did. All this 2 hours each stuff is no bueno imo. 5 djs on the lineup is bull. It's a safer bet for the clubs to cover several bases. But in the end it dilutes the experience if you compare it to what the classic guys used to pull off playing all night, truly taking you on a journey. I heard Eddie Grant's Time Warp would get played for 40mins at the Paradise Garage and have everybody flipping the f out.

So my idea is not some pop up party that happens once. It would be something that takes time to build a reputation. That beats names imo. People never used to really know the names of djs, or even tunes back in the day. They just went to the place they knew the music was hot. They weren't all staring at the dj booth like some altar at church, they were busy getting down and looking at... Each other! Imagine that. I think this concept could still work. As NawSon says, it exists and is working in Detroit.

The idea in this thread was to see if this appeals to anyone here and also share ideas about how things could be done differently. I have a feeling its hard for many to even imagine things different from how they are now and that's a problem imo. People are too adjusted to getting what they're given. But from all the cobstant moaning that goes on on GS alone you can tell people are not exactly satisfied with the current situ.

I was hoping a lot more people would contribute new ideas. I wonder if it reflects a lack of interest or plain old creativity.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
In my opinion, a dj who is capable of this style of playing music is the best opportunity you will have for a proper party. This is of course not a mainstream concept, and the number of great djs with this ability is small.
You have to wonder if that's because of the current landscape. People don't think in terms of long sets anymore, I guess. For me 6 hours is the basic. 9 more like it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

You sound like a real hoot, man. Nobody is saying anything of the sort. No multiple cities, no multiple acts. No mention of taste. Just quality. What is quality to us might not be your bag. What it looks like you're saying is that its impossible for someone to be able to do something which has already been done for many many years. I don't see why it can't happen again. Things go in cycles.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

And another thing, Mr Bignatius, that type of thinking isn't going to progress anything. I mean, maybe for you everything is fine as it is and there's no need to change it. For me a lot could be changed to make things better and this thread is a place to discuss that. If you got any constructive ideas I'd like to hear them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

https://5mag.net/features/who-is-robert-williams/

Just think about this......

Robert Williams was the man who opened the Warehouse and the Music Box. When he opened the Warehouse his first choice was Larry Levan who turned him down because the Paradise Garage was being prepared to open. So his second choice was Tee Scott. And then his third choice was Frankie Knuckles who agreed.

This was before any of these djs were known as the legends they would become.

And then when the Warehouse ended he hired Ron Hardy to be the dj at Music Box.

The sound of house music is shaped by the taste of one man!!! Do you think he didn’t know about how to throw a party? He wasn’t looking for names anybody in Chicago would know anything about. He was looking at talent at making people dance.

He was so right that all of these djs would eventually become the most hallowed of legends.

So maybe taste does matter just a little bit?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

anyone remember Language Lab?
Old 3 weeks ago
In most cities, in most parts of the world, there are good club nights, or good clubs, or good underground spaces that have consistently interesting, well-curated music. You just have to search, and be comfortable going into weird spaces.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
For me the keys are this:

No liquor license
Good sound
Dark
Djs who play different sounds that still work together

Some of my favorite parties of recent are done with the djs names not even on the lineup, you can’t see them, all you have is soundsystem and music. It’s perfect.
Exactly. No booze.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
In most cities, in most parts of the world, there are good club nights, or good clubs, or good underground spaces that have consistently interesting, well-curated music. You just have to search, and be comfortable going into weird spaces.
Easily said for a guy from the Chi. Most cities is a bit of a stretch man. I know whole countries in the EU with weak to non existent scenes. But even here in Berlin it's getting harder to find something that isn't the same as everything else. I'm more than comfortable in the dirt and trenches. In fact, dirty dark basements are my preferred setting. Interested to know what's happening in your city that fits your description, though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
So I guess you never heard of dj residencies back in the 70s/80s/90s?

The names Larry Levan, Ron Hardy, Tony Humphries mean anything to you? There are djs who still play on their level today but because of the way the scene is structured they don't get to develop the same way those 3 did. All this 2 hours each stuff is no bueno imo. 5 djs on the lineup is bull. It's a safer bet for the clubs to cover several bases. But in the end it dilutes the experience if you compare it to what the classic guys used to pull off playing all night, truly taking you on a journey. I heard Eddie Grant's Time Warp would get played for 40mins at the Paradise Garage and have everybody flipping the f out.

So my idea is not some pop up party that happens once. It would be something that takes time to build a reputation. That beats names imo. People never used to really know the names of djs, or even tunes back in the day. They just went to the place they knew the music was hot. They weren't all staring at the dj booth like some altar at church, they were busy getting down and looking at... Each other! Imagine that. I think this concept could still work. As NawSon says, it exists and is working in Detroit.

The idea in this thread was to see if this appeals to anyone here and also share ideas about how things could be done differently. I have a feeling its hard for many to even imagine things different from how they are now and that's a problem imo. People are too adjusted to getting what they're given. But from all the cobstant moaning that goes on on GS alone you can tell people are not exactly satisfied with the current situ.

I was hoping a lot more people would contribute new ideas. I wonder if it reflects a lack of interest or plain old creativity.
To me, I don’t think it needs some kind of innovation per se. Nawson summed it up on page 1. And if we go further back Francois K said all you need is a great sound system and good music.

Problem today is that so much is focused on the scene. The scene takes over the music. It’s kind of understandable because the experiences can be euphoric, blissful. People become more concerned about the scene rather than the music. Music becomes academic. Scene becomes academic as people try to replicate the scene. Commodification leads to gentrification. Underground dies.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Google Plato’s Retreat for inspiration. Take note of the buffet, I hear it was outstanding.
"Why doesn't the lazy bum just post pics/info instead?"

*Googles it*

Oh my...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Do you do out to eat blindfolded? Let others buy your car or clothes or gear for you? Of course not

Being in a small town, I got sick of ordering/doing the same things over and over again when I go out, so I started doing things like letting servers pick my meals for me and clerks picking out their favorite movies for me to buy. I know you brought that up in jest, but seriously, you've gotta try it. It's almost as much fun as trolling Italo Disco fans. Almost.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Also, I'm super surprised nobody posted Trancecracker after mentioning hiding the DJ's identity. Party for the sake of the party!

FOR A GOOD TIME, CALL YOUR MOM, OR JUST CLICK HERE.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Being in a small town, I got sick of ordering/doing the same things over and over again when I go out, so I started doing things like letting servers pick my meals for me and clerks picking out their favorite movies for me to buy. I know you brought that up in jest, but seriously, you've gotta try it. It's almost as much fun as trolling Italo Disco fans. Almost.
that's awesome.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
To me, I don’t think it needs some kind of innovation per se. Nawson summed it up on page 1. And if we go further back Francois K said all you need is a great sound system and good music.

Problem today is that so much is focused on the scene. The scene takes over the music. It’s kind of understandable because the experiences can be euphoric, blissful. People become more concerned about the scene rather than the music. Music becomes academic. Scene becomes academic as people try to replicate the scene. Commodification leads to gentrification. Underground dies.
I'm not actually talking, about innovation. It's more of a return to how things were during FK's heyday. Agreed with 2nd paragraph. That's why I think the low key presentation thing could make a refreshing change. Less people showing up to be at so and so's party. More people just showing up because they dig the type of music. This isn't supposed to be an all encompassing thing. This is more for people who are into the underground in the classic sense of what it meant back in the 80s and 90s when integrity was more important detached irony and facaetiousness, which is all part of what got us to where we are now imo.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Also, I'm super surprised nobody posted Trancecracker after mentioning hiding the DJ's identity. Party for the sake of the party!

FOR A GOOD TIME, CALL YOUR MOM, OR JUST CLICK HERE.

"you owl sucking cypher"

Lol
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Easily said for a guy from the Chi. Most cities is a bit of a stretch man. I know whole countries in the EU with weak to non existent scenes. But even here in Berlin it's getting harder to find something that isn't the same as everything else. I'm more than comfortable in the dirt and trenches. In fact, dirty dark basements are my preferred setting. Interested to know what's happening in your city that fits your description, though.
I'm actually in Los Angeles, guess I better change my bio. It's been a few years since I've been in Berlin, but I've definitely found fun stuff there, and in other scattered (big and small) cities around Europe and the United States. I'm by no means an "expert" on night life, but I maintain faith new, strong promoters and venues (a loose definition of "venues" here) will open every couple years. The trick is that people have to actually get off their computers and phones long enough to patronize these places so they can keep doing business...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search