The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Is it counterproductive to buy multiple synths at once?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
We must support one another in the incremental improvement of Dada heckles until we are able to reach fully automated luxury gay space communism. I am happy to riff upon your excellent work mate.
If we're having luxury gay space communism, it might as well be fully automated. I wouldn't have it any other way
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPogo View Post
If we're having luxury gay space communism, it might as well be fully automated. I wouldn't have it any other way
I'd rather have semi-automated luxury gay space communism. The thought of self-satisfied doors thanking me for passing through or using the Orgasmatron is kinda creepy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPogo View Post
To do so would be uncouth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

about the only time I've found it useful to buy multiple machines at the same time is when i wanted to add something (let's say an analog monosynth) and wasn't exactly sure what flavors/features I'd gel with best. So I picked up 4 or 5 knowing that they all wouldn't stay, but the only way to really tell which worked best for me was to hear them in parallel. My brain isn't good enough to remember how mono X sounded last month while now hearing mono Y.

You can get away with it if the machines are relatively simple, like an old Korg preset drum machine, a MiniMoog, a DeltaLab delay, and maybe an OB-X. Once you start picking up more complex machines (deep effects units, hw sequencers, synths with menus and large matrix mod options) then you get stuck in the pattern of either ignoring one or more, or trying to learn/use all and getting frustrated with all aspects of making music.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
about the only time I've found it useful to buy multiple machines at the same time is when i wanted to add something (let's say an analog monosynth) and wasn't exactly sure what flavors/features I'd gel with best. So I picked up 4 or 5 knowing that they all wouldn't stay, but the only way to really tell which worked best for me was to hear them in parallel. My brain isn't good enough to remember how mono X sounded last month while now hearing mono Y.

You can get away with it if the machines are relatively simple, like an old Korg preset drum machine, a MiniMoog, a DeltaLab delay, and maybe an OB-X. Once you start picking up more complex machines (deep effects units, hw sequencers, synths with menus and large matrix mod options) then you get stuck in the pattern of either ignoring one or more, or trying to learn/use all and getting frustrated with all aspects of making music.
an excellent point.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
I'd rather have semi-automated luxury gay space communism. The thought of self-satisfied doors thanking me for passing through or using the Orgasmatron is kinda creepy.
Technically it is not luxury unless fully automated. The communism part comes in when the doors thank you for passing through them with a languid sigh, and you in turn thank them in a way most befitting your nature, for allowing you to do so.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

So long, and thanks for all the fish. I think I met you at the resaurant at the end of the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
Technically it is not luxury unless fully automated. The communism part comes in when the doors thank you for passing through them with a languid sigh, and you in turn thank them in a way most befitting your nature, for allowing you to do so.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
I was a lot happier overall when my equipment and structuring/layout was simpler. I craved for a broader pallet of external sounds and effects though when I realised I wasn't happy with soft synths anymore, and now, .....my gear is mostly in a disconnected state. Very counter-productive for me buying lots of stuff at once, but gear lust is probably still a little better than being hooked on hard drugs.

Thankfully I can still plug the headphones into the DJS-1000 and realise it's almost my perfect machine, while the rest of my studio stays in a mostly unfinished state, in perpetuity.

What's needed for me is probably a studio hook up tech dude/dudess to connect everything in it's most rational way.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo View Post
I was a lot happier overall when my equipment and structuring/layout was simpler. I craved for a broader pallet of external sounds and effects though when I realised I wasn't happy with soft synths anymore, and now, .....my gear is mostly in a disconnected state. Very counter-productive for me buying lots of stuff at once, but gear lust is probably still a little better than being hooked on hard drugs.

Thankfully I can still plug the headphones into the DJS-1000 and realise it's almost my perfect machine, while the rest of my studio stays in a mostly unfinished state, in perpetuity.

What's needed for me is probably a studio hook up tech dude/dudess to connect everything in it's most rational way.
I feel for you.

I suppose I am lucky in that I have run a SoundSystem for many years so I am used to being up to my neck in cables I don't know how you cope: brought my synths back from Boomtown festival after last weekend and the flightcases have been just been flung into my studio as I haven't had time to re-wire it all up yet. It has left me feeling vaguely anxious as I know they are not connected at the moment!

My advise, start at one end and do each synth/drum machine/sampler one at a time. Power is easy, just plug it in. Audio should be easy, have you got a mixer or do you just plug what you are using into your audio interface? Just plugin it in. Midi is also easy once you know how. In is input, Thru for daisy chaining other synths and Out if you want that device to play another.

Just get plugging that stuff in, one at a time. Checking each works as you go.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Thanks. I've had it set up with various romplers and samplers etc in the past, but everytime I buy new gear and i've bought a lot of gear recently, I have to somehow add it, which usually means disconnecting and moving stuff about, until one day I ended up with about 12-14 extra boxes unconnected and the things that were connected in various states of being connected, plus a kordbot and Keystep which i've still never used despite having them nearly 3 months.

I haven't even checked the sampler I sent off for repair a few weeks back, so haven't thanked the man since it returned back safely. So although i'll never be able to set it up as well as someone proficient at setting stuff up, i'm hopeful that it'll be connected before Autumn.

I run into a rack mixer, with the output into the audio interface, but still waiting to hook up the Scarlett 18i20 via adat to the interface to expand inputs for my set up to take every piece of gear I can fit within my space that i'm likely to use.

Nice work on playing Boomtown too It's been near the top of my list of festivals to do for years
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. I've had it set up with various romplers and samplers etc in the past, but everytime I buy new gear and i've bought a lot of gear recently, I have to somehow add it, which usually means disconnecting and moving stuff about, until one day I ended up with about 12-14 extra boxes unconnected and the things that were connected in various states of being connected, plus a kordbot and Keystep which i've still never used despite having them nearly 3 months.

I haven't even checked the sampler I sent off for repair a few weeks back, so haven't thanked the man since it returned back safely. So although i'll never be able to set it up as well as someone proficient at setting stuff up, i'm hopeful that it'll be connected before Autumn.

I run into a rack mixer, with the output into the audio interface, but still waiting to hook up the Scarlett 18i20 via adat to the interface to expand inputs for my set up to take every piece of gear I can fit within my space that i'm likely to use.

Nice work on playing Boomtown too It's been near the top of my list of festivals to do for years
Maybe trade a piece of gear or two or just outright pay a friend to come help you out.

Maybe also consider a strategy where adding hear doesn't require rewiring everything all over again...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
It's all to do with space. If I had a huge spare room i'd set up in there and add some big old more affordable Roland synths while i'm at it.

I have to use the 3rd bedroom for all my DJ gear (1000s of records, turntables, boxes etc as well as using it for my attempts at making music.

If I had unlimited space i'd be able to walk around stuff and disconnect/reconnect quickly and buy better racking systems etc

It's making optimum use of space until one day i'll feng shui my space and be in musical nirvana. Well much more efficient at least.

I envy people that have huge spaces for making music and doing a spot of breakdancing when they knock up something good.

UK houses suck unless you're a stockbroker living in the sticks. Thankfully they don't suck as much as Japanese homes with no real soundproofing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's all to do with space. If I had a huge spare room i'd set up in there and add some big old more affordable Roland synths while i'm at it.

I have to use the 3rd bedroom for all my DJ gear (1000s of records, turntables, boxes etc as well as using it for my attempts at making music.

If I had unlimited space i'd be able to walk around stuff and disconnect/reconnect quickly and buy better racking systems etc

It's making optimum use of space until one day i'll feng shui my space and be in musical nirvana. Well much more efficient at least.

I envy people that have huge spaces for making music and doing a spot of breakdancing when they knock up something good.

UK houses suck unless you're a stockbroker living in the sticks. Thankfully they don't suck as much as Japanese homes with no real soundproofing.
Oh, I think I've seen your studio. Here, right...?

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i'd say yes
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Ok, sounds like you are on the case. I find that if I have to wire things in my creative spark has evaporated by the time I do. It was only a small venue at Boomtown but always nice to play out and about. Cracking festival if you err towards the 'Boom'!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

They do indeed. I live in a victorian terrace, thankfully I have a loft conversion, and put my studio up there but in the summer it can get ridiculously hot. I can't even stand up in there, but that's fine as I just move around on my chair.

Ideally if I had the house to myself, I'd get rid of the dining table and have my studio in the dining room/lounge. It's long and rectangular so would be great for a studio, but that's not an option unfortunately.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search