The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Waldorf Quantum or the Solaris?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Waldorf Quantum or the Solaris?

So I'm trying to decide between the Waldorf Quantum and the John Bowen Solaris. I'd appreciate any feedback between the two. Help me choose the right one. Thanks -
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I’ve been thinking the same thing and I’ve decided on the Quantum. The screen and the sampling engine aspect, the depth of options and are what sent me in that direction. If you do some digging, some people have made some absolutely stunning and unique patches based on sampling direct into the synth to create sounds that are completely head melting
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Second vote for the Quantum
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

A month ago I would have said Solaris, but having gone back and listened to some of the newer Quantum demos, I’ll say Quantum. They’re both awesome, but I think I like the somewhat bigger company behind an instrument that expensive. Also, the Quantum has more variety in its synthesis types and you can just go to a store and buy one.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I made this decision recently.

I picked the Quantum, and haven’t regretted it for a second. Totally love it.
Old 1 week ago
8 voices for 5k? Not over a solaris for me, 10/10 times. Waldorf has one of the worst customer service reps in the business and I have first hand experience in that regard. I don't think I've ever even seen Waldorf even attempt a forum presence anywhere.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If I didn’t have the Solaris I’d say the Quantum. The ease of editing and the screen seem to be much more user friendly. And the sample side of the Solaris is not great.

However - there is something magical about the Solaris. The joystick and the pressure strip and the user experience is just brilliant. It also has a crazy dedicated user base.

They are both future classics and both forever synths.

One more thing - The touchscreen reliability and availability on the Quantum is a long-term question mark.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
8 voices for 5k? Not over a solaris for me, 10/10 times. Waldorf has one of the worst customer service reps in the business and I have first hand experience in that regard. I don't think I've ever even seen Waldorf even attempt a forum presence anywhere.
Guess you haven’t been on the quantum thread the last couple months
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I own both. Solaris has hardware updates incoming, first OLEDs and maybe new CPU hardware later on. I would opt for the Quantum for the time being.
Old 1 week ago
Pip
Lives for gear

I own a Quantum - love it, i pre ordered and it took just over a year with delays but it fabulous. I have pre ordered a Solaris, waiting just at the year mark at the mo, OLED’s are now available, I should have it in a few weeks.
They both have beautiful interfaces but my take is the Quantum will take you to places no other hardware will (combined software will to some extent). The Solaris sounds (from demos) heavenly but in a different ball park in terms of its strengths.
My normal question would be what sort of music do you make, what sounds inspire You?
They are both stunning high end machines.
As for Quantum support, hop over to the Quantum thread, Rolf and the user base is making sure the Quantum is being developed and supported.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican View Post
Guess you haven’t been on the quantum thread the last couple months
Nope.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Nope.
now go stand to the classroom corner and feel ashamed for ten minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen7ny View Post
So I'm trying to decide between the Waldorf Quantum and the John Bowen Solaris. I'd appreciate any feedback between the two. Help me choose the right one. Thanks -
i think first questions to ask, in order to answer yours is,

what other synths you have in the studio?

and, what type of sounds you want/need or hope to get from the new machine, that you don't have at this point?

cheers

Last edited by clusterchord; 1 week ago at 03:19 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

...or the Prophet X(L)?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen7ny View Post
Not really intending to direct this to you, but "help me choose" questions aren't particularly useful if you don't at least give some variables. What are your must haves? Deal breakers? Price range? Are you willing to wait? etc.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quantum will do things almost(?) nothing else will.
Solaris while it is a very nice sounding synth, can be replaced by software.
Old 1 week ago
Oop
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Quantum will do things almost(?) nothing else will.
Solaris while it is a very nice sounding synth, can be replaced by software.
Curious, what does the Quantum do, that can’t be done in software? Can it replace something like Falcon?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop View Post
Curious, what does the Quantum do, that can’t be done in software? Can it replace something like Falcon?
Both are so deep, hard to compare.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop View Post
Unless he's referencing the fact that the Quantum has analog filters.

Both systems leverage what is already done well in software. The real value proposition is the UI and being an independent DSP platform.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Here's the lengthy comment I made on the Quantum thread when someone asked the same question:

It's hard to compare basic tone without having them side by side--the Solaris' basic oscillator tone is probably more hi-fi than the Quantum, including the wavetables. But I greatly prefer the analog filter on the Quantum to the filters on the Solaris and that really outweighs any basic sound quality differences. I found the Solaris filters just had this dryness that I typically associate with VAs and there was really no getting around that. The Quantum feels much more like a classic digital-analog hybrid.

Ignoring basic tone though, and thinking about them holistically--the Solaris certainly wins in terms of modulation and routing. It was basically modular as far as I was concerned. But because I was not happy just using it for typical bread and butter analog sounds I felt like you had to dig a lot deeper in terms of setting things up using FM and fast modulations to really maximize the weird/new sound quotient. And in that sense it DID feel more like a classic modular where the modulations/rotors were the source of new sounds, rather than the oscillators or synthesis method. There was plenty of scope for some amazing Soundscapes with the 4 different channels, probably much more so than the Quantum in the long run, but you definitely had to be prepared to put in the programming time.

Ultimately, I wish the Solaris had focused less on trying to be a great VA with all the numerous but redundant oscillator and filter types, and more on being a totally digital Modular Synth. As is, it felt like a modern, perfected Matrix-12 or Waldorf Wave, but 10 years too late.

The quantum OTOH just seems to fair better in terms of getting something interesting going quickly--you stack three oscillators each using three synthesis types and you can get some big sounds easily. It can't go as deep as the Solaris, but it also brings two totally new types of synthesis to the table AND true sampling ability, which to me was the Solaris' biggest limitation. The Quantum really feels like a cutting edge synthesizer to me. And getting back to the analog filter, because it's so flattering, I feel much happier with even some of the basic sounds I've made so far--simple oscillator sounds are just more pleasing to the ear than the same thing on the Solaris and, unlike on the latter, I don't automatically feel the need to push them further just to make up for them being simple. I can see the Quantum covering both core analog and weirdo digital duties, whereas the Solaris felt like it was a specialty synth that I would probably only use for classic wavetable and out-there FX/noise sounds.

UPDATE: the big addition here since I wrote that is the eventual 2.0 update, which literally adds 6 entirely new synthesis methods to the existing four, plus an even more refined sampling engine. this all really puts it well beyond the Solaris' orbit at this point.

Last edited by Sir Ruff; 1 week ago at 12:02 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its 4k.

Nowadays the Waldorf guys literally report out for vacation on GS.

May be its time to re-evaluate.

Solaris is a good synth. One of the best. But not close to Quantum, imo.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Its 4k.

Nowadays the Waldorf guys literally report out for vacation on GS.

May be its time to re-evaluate.

Solaris is a good synth. One of the best. But not close to Quantum, imo.

Fair enough, I'm open minded.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search