The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Synths You're Underutilizing
Old 9th July 2019
Synths You're Underutilizing

I had this thought last night when I was doing some rearranging and willingly made part of a monster machine inaccessible. What are some powerhouse synths/samplers/etc. that you're really not making the most of?

For me, the Fantom G is a prime example. I set up (on a laptop stand of course) an MPC that now covers up the entire pad section of the Fantom. Its a machine capable of so much, but I really only use the sampling/patch-building and patch playback side of it. The sequencer, multitrack recording, the pads, the ROM, and the rhythm/sample patches are going entirely unused.

MPC5000 is kind of the same in that I don't use the sequencer side of it at all and use it more as a sample-playback module. The effects/filters are good, but I don't even really use those.

These just seem like an interesting contrast seeing as how I went on a VA-buying spree with the intention of pushing them to their operational limits. So what about you guys? What synths etc. are you not fully taking advantage of?
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Funnily enough, for me its my Eurorack. I still mostly use it as a some mono voices at best.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Analog Four MK II. I love it as a synth but my brain simply hates the way Elektron's sequencers work
and I refuse to put any more effort into it. It honestly makes my toes curl with hatred.
I use it all the time as a synth / drum module though.
Old 9th July 2019
everything I own, except the MPC Live, is under utilised....for nearly a year or more the Live was about the only thing I played. Used the Boog way more than I thought I would too, made me think about a reissue but their price made me think wtf am I thinking.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Used the Boog way more than I thought I would too, made me think about a reissue but their price made me think wtf am I thinking.
The answer is "buy more Boogs!". If Behringer weren't doing other monos I'd probably have 3 or 4 Boogs by now.

Yes, I'm under using the whole lot really. Too much stuff. I've got rid of some button/screen stuff to clear the way for Behringer (and others) hands-on stuff.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

i think i'm going to have to get a Boog and keep under-utilizing the other stuff.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

My MKS-70. I don't know what it is. when I had a JX8P, I loved it, i used the hell out of it. I thought i'd "upgrade" and save some space to get the mks-70, and I swear, I've almost just never used it. I use my mks-30 and mks-50 more now. And of course the mks-80. It's bizarro. I am sorta feeling it's the fact I put so much love into upgrading/fixing the mks-30. Maybe I need to do that mks-70 upgrade and give it some more love....
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

DSI Pro-2....I get how great it is but I rarely use it.
Old 9th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
The answer is "buy more Boogs!". If Behringer weren't doing other monos I'd probably have 3 or 4 Boogs by now.

Yes, I'm under using the whole lot really. Too much stuff. I've got rid of some button/screen stuff to clear the way for Behringer (and others) hands-on stuff.
I didnt want to buy any more behringer, sick of hearing about them in here, but the VC340 was a temptation too far, I think the pro one will be too

The VC is just brilliant, I really wish theyd go for stringers etc, more unusual hard to get gear
Old 9th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
DSI Pro-2....I get how great it is but I rarely use it.
thats my only synth that I think about playing when Im not playing it
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
MPC5000 is kind of the same in that I don't use the sequencer side of it at all and use it more as a sample-playback module. The effects/filters are good, but I don't even really use those.
Damn.

My PC/DAW is the unloved stepchild here these days. Sitting there so capable, stuffed full of interesting tools and sounds, thousands of dollars invested, countless hours spent, and now it's primarily an over-glorified tape recorder.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

I often buy stuff and use it once then put it on a shelf to never use it again. Always some harebrained scheme I didn't follow through with.

I have an MPC60 and SP303 I barely touch. I should give them to some beatmaker kid.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Head

Akai S5000 - I just have too many samplers.
Emu Emax SE rack - Love it, have tons of custom banks, but the E4XT is main joint. It’s criminal I don’t use it more cause it sounds amazing.
Every single VST/Plugin I’ve ever owned - no matter how awesome they might be, I just don’t enjoy them at all.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
Analog Four MK II. I love it as a synth but my brain simply hates the way Elektron's sequencers work
and I refuse to put any more effort into it. It honestly makes my toes curl with hatred.
I use it all the time as a synth / drum module though.
I had an Analog Four for years and never once used the sequencer.

[edit] I’ve never used a sequencer on any keyboard I’ve ever owned except for the Ensoniq TS-10.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Guru

I have to say that if there’s things I have that are underutilized, they’re software that’s just so vast that even though I use it a lot it feels so expansive that I feel I’m only scratching the surface. I feel like I do pretty well covering all my hardware, though it goes in phases. I’ve unnaturally been focusing on the Peak, because it was sort of hard to wrap my head around. Not from a features standpoint, but from a “what is this really good for” standpoint. I made a lead with it today that could quite possibly be the best sounding synth lead I’ve ever heard. I’ve yet to get a pad out of it that I was over the moon about.
Old 10th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I often buy stuff and use it once then put it on a shelf to never use it again. Always some harebrained scheme I didn't follow through with.

I have an MPC60 and SP303 I barely touch. I should give them to some beatmaker kid.
I am 15 and I love beatz
Old 10th July 2019
my second andromeda.

originally bought it so i could have a spare, and take one on a gig, and leave the other in the studio. however, my first one is working fine in both duties now, so the other one is pretty much sleeping its ata case for the past .. uh, don't want to admit how many months/years now . sure i like having a spare since its one my all time favorites, but damn that's a lot of money tied down like that hmhmmhm

ensoniq eps and prophet 2002

simply no time to play with them and learn them. i did the stupid thing - bought four different samplers in a very short time as it was a good chance blah blah..etc. of course each has its own cryptic user interfce and operating system. no chance my brain could possibly inhale all this in the almost non existant time these days. work is killing me. i managed to learn emulator ii and re-learn emax that i have forgotten in the meantime.

oh there's more, but these first came to my mind..
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

I pretty much underutilize everything I own, but I've always been the type to find a few things I really like about a piece of gear as opposed to milking a piece for all it's worth.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

oh ****, forget my mks-70 story, I definitely have that one beat, I forgot about the freaking prophet 5 rev3.3 that's been sitting unused forever. I'd say the last time I did use it significantly was the old p5 rev2/rev3.3 comparison. Then most of my stuff was unused for a while, but most was setup again a few years ago, then taken back down again. Not the rev3.3 though, heh. Pretty sure that sat in a case somewhere, lol.

it's especially getting neglected now that I put the latest Riku firmware in the rev2 lmfao. It's like a brand new instrument, even nicer than the latest official rev3.3 firmware I'd say, maybe minus the microtuning stuff

I actually have the tauntek firmware for the rev3.3 on it's way here. I'm thinking round 2 prophet 5 rev2/3.3 comparison after I get both running the latest firmware. I'm also curious if the battery in the 3.3 died like it did in the 2, they're both untouched for nearly 10 years now. I also lost my juno60's battery, so it's definitely just becoming an age thing at this point.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Used the Boog way more than I thought I would too, made me think about a reissue but their price made me think wtf am I thinking.
My Boog as to date has been collecting dust. I reach for my Karp for most things vintage mono. On the other hand and speaking of Behringer I was surprised to find how much I love the DeepMind 12d in my rig, using it all the time. I ran it through some paces in a music store, wasn’t blown away, and almost gave up on it. Glad I gave it a second chance.
Old 10th July 2019
Same here on the Eurorack. Sometimes I wish I'd limited myself to a smaller system because that would have made me explore each module more deeply.

Also ditto on the software. There's so much of that that is more powerful than anything in hardware, but I just get no joy out of using them
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear
roland sh-101. (sounds too 90s to my ears)
dx100 (not worth the repair cost)
xoxbox (just doesnt soumd like a 303 closely enough to me )

all being sold soon
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

I think I'm underutilizing all of it to be honest.. my own motoric/compositional/creative skills included

Maybe if I lived to be 500 years old or something, that could change.. or not sure if even that would
be enough

I've long thought that we are the biggest obstacles as far as limits are concerned.. cavemen playing pong with klingon supercomputers
Old 10th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
my second andromeda.

originally bought it so i could have a spare, and take one on a gig, and leave the other in the studio. however, my first one is working fine in both duties now, so the other one is pretty much sleeping its ata case for the past .. uh, don't want to admit how many months/years now . sure i like having a spare since its one my all time favorites, but damn that's a lot of money tied down like that hmhmmhm

ensoniq eps and prophet 2002

simply no time to play with them and learn them. i did the stupid thing - bought four different samplers in a very short time as it was a good chance blah blah..etc. of course each has its own cryptic user interfce and operating system. no chance my brain could possibly inhale all this in the almost non existant time these days. work is killing me. i managed to learn emulator ii and re-learn emax that i have forgotten in the meantime.

oh there's more, but these first came to my mind..
I could save you some space and take that extra Andromeda off your hands...
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Nut
Kurzweil K2000.

It's impossible to use it at 100% in one single lifespan.

I suspect that's the main reason Ray is so interested in nutrition, health, and immortality
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Also ditto on the software. There's so much of that that is more powerful than anything in hardware, but I just get no joy out of using them
Someone like you with a juicy modular brain would enjoy the hell out of Factory I think.
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Head

Elektron A4...only use it as a roland dinsync converter and gate signal
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

I'd say my D-05 and Blofeld. Dark Energy doesn't get much of a look at the moment either.

After watching a Blofeld wavetable patch by 100 Things I do on Youtube recently, I want to get more into that aspect of the synth again- I tend to mess with FM on it more for bell sounds and weird soundscapes (sometimes starting with shifting wavetables).

My SE-02 has suffered against the Boog of late, but it's starting to get a look in again right now. It sounds quite different to the Boog/Minimoog in some ways but can also get close to classic sounds. Lots there to explore.

I've a couple of synths in the rack that aren't plugged in at the moment- WSA-1 and TG-55 so they kind of don't count.. But the above should get more of a look.
Old 10th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
Blofeld
If you've got the desktop version, I think a lot of whether or not a person is going to utilize it much is dependent on location compared to where you're keying/sequencing it from. I had one and never used the thing. Bought another one, but this time it's sitting right beside my computer keyboard. (Yeah, that's how I sequence/play. Wanna make something of it?) Now I'm getting buckets of joy out of it.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Pretty much all I own except for a few favorites. Yet again I find myself in a move situation, may shed some gear, may not. I haven't decided yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search