The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Synths You're Underutilizing
Old 12th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I often buy stuff and use it once then put it on a shelf to never use it again . . .
That's me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
. . . I never master any of my stuff, just use it for what I intend to and nothing more.
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
. . . I’m looking forward to hunkering down with all I have now for the next few years and really diving into it all and learning it to the full degree . . .
That's precisely my fantasy as well. As I near retirement age, I'm thinking, "Gee, I'll have all that time to really learn music, and I'll have all my toys to play with and finally begin to master them!"
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Maniac

matrix brute. My Waldorf Q takes up a lot of my time
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Addict

until recently, it was PreenFM2.
i bought it mainly for an EBM/industrial project, but the dark scene here in Ukraine is (almost) dead, so no point to waste my time.

but recently i needed something to synthesize tonewheel organs, remembered that FM synths have additive algorithm, and unshelved PreenFM2.

anyway, still underutilization, because what i'm doing with it is not FM.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
seriously: you could lose:
mt32/mdc1/technox/m3/fb01/...not sure which proteus that is (one of the old ones? make room for a newer emu)/and that mono monitor
the mt32 has the soundtrack preset whioch is one of my favourite ever sounds..the fb01 has some brilliant sounds on there especially the bass sounds..the proteus if the fx version too be honest I never really gave it the attention I keep meaning too give it..i mainly used the proteus plugin and I have all the expansion packs so I use that...the korg m3 was very very cheap I got that for about £40 because it was a little beat up but it still works ok..the mdc1/technox have all the classic rave sounds and I remember reading they got discontinued very quickly after release because of liscencing issues most of the sounds were from zero g sample cds so those two are pretty hard to get hold of in the uk…

and the mono monitor is needed for the Atari 1040 ..
in an ideal world I would sell them but I know I wouldn't get much for them so not worth the hassle of selling on ebay and some have sentimental value..the Atari 1040 ..mt32 were bought with some royalities many many years ago and they cost a fortune back them id be lucky too get the price of a kfc family bucket for them now lol
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Funny you mention it, my MS-20m has been collecting dust but just this week I was like “WTF am I doing not using this thing?” so I fired it up and vowed to use it on my next track.
I just dusted off my ms-20 this week. Not to play but because there were literal dust bunnies hanging off the thing and I was worried about it triggering my allergies. It's a nice synth but between it's inscrutable patch bay and the Hz/V CV it's near impossible to integrate with the rest of my gear.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Yamaha MX49, for me it had such a counter-intuitive UI it made me want to put it in a sack and bury it. I'm sure its not bad for people used to Yamaha, but if I didn't touch it for a few weeks it would be like starting from scratch again, it currently sits under a cover, under some leads, under some PSUs, under a multimeter...at least I think its an MX49 under there.
Old 3 days ago
tonnes....at the moment the microfreak, circuit monostation, and neutron, have been on once or twice...Id sell them but I keep losing the dumb midi cables...dunno where I put them, same with the Uno, maybe my kids nick them.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac
my k2661. i love the sound, and i can get sounds out of it that i dont get out of anything else, but i have so many other things now that are so much more immediate. they don't sound the same, but they produce tones that create their own interesting journeys.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

All my VSTi's. I have really, REALLY tried to enjoy using a softsynth but just can't connect with them because there always is some setting you can't control with a controller. The only exceptions are Pianoteq and a Vox Continental VST, but those are technically not synths. This is why I decided to exchange my favorite sounding softsynths for hardware versions. Only have a Prophet 5, ARP2600 and Minimoog to go
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Korg Poly 800, I totally forgot that I even had this synth.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

it's the plugins I bought called Alchemy by Camel Audio..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Radikal Technogies Accelerator. Interface sucks and I thought I could get past that. I know myself better now than when I bought it. Sounds pretty good but not in a way that my other gear couldn't produce. So I'm unmotivated to use it much. I'll give it some time but I think down the road, this synth will be sold.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Right now most of my VSTs and things like Omnisphere 2 and Diva and Z3TA+2 have been set aside, collecting virtual dust, while I pursue more OTB and Hardware options and approaches.

Thank goodness they don't take up much space.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

An old Amiga 500 that probably doesn’t work any more - I should just junk it, and the 1084 color monitor!

I was obsessed with the Audity 2000 when I got it new, but haven’t touched it in a long time. Still, it would be expensive to replace those Z-plane filters with Dave Rossum’s new stuff, much as I’d love to. Plus it has quite the sequencer as well as an excellent samplebank built in.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
At this point, I’d say all of it. The hidden cost of any gear is the time required to master it. I have an entire studio now filled with expensive gear, and while I can capably use it all, I feel like I’ve just scratched the surface on most of it. Even the few things I’d be bold enough to say that I know “well” and have figured out all sorts of tricks on, I’d say I’ve only scratched the surface on...by that, I guess what I really mean is not just learning the stuff laid out in a manual or from other users, but finding those places the manufacturer didn’t necessarily intend to go. Fortunately my studio is at capacity other than a few more eurorack modules and some pedals, and I’m looking forward to hunkering down with all I have now for the next few years and really diving into it all and learning it to the full degree...and finishing some fooking albums!
I feel ya.

I can't wait to be done with this gear acquisition phase and get back to all of that... kmowing my gear, and just using and enjoying what it can do.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

For me it’s my Eurorack. I was really into the idea of expanding it but I pretty early on found that it didn’t fit my work flow that well. I prefer to first work on sound design to gather banks of interesting sounds that I can then use later when working on a song.
My plan now is to use the modular more like an effects processor and do the core sounds with other synths.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Casio VZ-10m. Wanna Trade?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Waldorf Q, rack version. Anyone want it? (knobs work fine)
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
Waldorf Q, rack version. Anyone want it? (knobs work fine)
Yes, PM Me !!!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Where do I begin...
A JX-8P holding up the wall.
2 unused Blofeld keybeds, 1 Studiologic Sledge
A DSI Mopho SE keybed
2 Dreadbox Abyss

Due to space limitations I can not fit everything inside this small 8'x 10' room.
I fell out of love with the JX-8P over 5 years ago.
We need a divorce!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

This thread makes me wanna but all the cool stuff you guys are about to sell.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Hardware is so much fun to explore and I love reading manuals. But I under-utilize software.

I use Logic, I’ve only ever used Alchemy in one track and Sculpture in one track. I’ve never spent time with Drummer or Ultrabeat or any of the other crazy UI synths that come with Logic. I don’t know how to flex anything. I bought Spire as an all-rounder, but instead it’s a placeholder until I dial in the sounds I want in hardware. I do like the Logc arpeggiator, though. I use that.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Wait. We're supposed to use these things?!?

Anything I'm not regularly using, and won't ever probably use again, I'm selling, or trying to sell. If I'm underusing something, I'm basically not using it at all.
Old 1 day ago
I've not been using the Korg EMX much until I hooked it upto the modular.
The ribbon controller, slider and basic sequencer are giving me some good results.
Sends a few MIDI cc's that are converted to CV.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search