The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Question: Do you think 90s electronic music sounds "worse"/"better" than contemp.?
Old 6 days ago
  #451
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
No, I bought it back in the 80's as a kid and sold my collection when I bought my first house - I started collecting old school again about 2002, so yep I know it well. Just haven't hunted a copy down as yet. Got the Coldcut and Bomb The Bass Stuff though lol. Oh yes, Bass How Low Can You go is missing from my collection too...
Ah, right on.

Old 6 days ago
  #452
Gear Maniac
 
NawSon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetuT View Post
If I picked 3 out, burial, twigs, and skee mask, I struggle to see how the word ‘crap’, or the phrase ‘emperor’s new clothes’ refers to these artists. Of course, taste is subjective.

This same thread comes up on gs every year or so.
Burial probably sounds great if you never heard El-B. And Twigs probably sounds great if you never heard any weird kind of r&b. Skee Mask literally never sounds great.
Old 6 days ago
  #453
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon View Post
And Twigs probably sounds great if you never heard any weird kind of r&b.
So ignorant.
Old 6 days ago
  #454
Lives for gear
 
SetuT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon View Post
Burial probably sounds great if you never heard El-B. And Twigs probably sounds great if you never heard any weird kind of r&b. Skee Mask literally never sounds great.
Not sure what el-b sounds like untrue. And i’m not sure who else sounds like twigs, fyi she doesn’t consider herself r&b, she’s just referred to as r&b in the media because she’s black.

Skee mask we can agree to disagree, I’ve been killing his last two albums the last few months and I really like them.

I grew up listening to 90s music, I understand that it was a different time to now, in some ways I feel sorry for the kids. But to make out like there’s nothing decent coming out now is misguided imo.

I’m not saying this is what you’re doing, but this is the slant these threads generally take.
Old 6 days ago
  #455
Gear Maniac
 
NawSon's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetuT View Post
Not sure what el-b sounds like untrue. And i’m not sure who else sounds like twigs, fyi she doesn’t consider herself r&b, she’s just referred to as r&b in the media because she’s black.

Skee mask we can agree to disagree, I’ve been killing his last two albums the last few months and I really like them.

I grew up listening to 90s music, I understand that it was a different time to now, in some ways I feel sorry for the kids. But to make out like there’s nothing decent coming out now is misguided imo.

I’m not saying this is what you’re doing, but this is the slant these threads generally take.
Anything that is good that comes out now is not what you’ll read about in the places that talk about these artists listed.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump