The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Question: Do you think 90s electronic music sounds "worse"/"better" than contemp.?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think more options are available now, but the ability to choose the right ones to do something musical with is vanishing rapidly. Whether due to ignorance, laziness or just pure lack of interest in anything except money (out of necessity!) is unclear.

It's happened before; it will happen again. Western culture has hollowed itself out through over commercialization, it's probably that simple.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I think more options are available now, but the ability to choose the right ones to do something musical with is vanishing rapidly. Whether due to ignorance, laziness or just pure lack of interest in anything except money (out of necessity!) is unclear.

It's happened before; it will happen again. Western culture has hollowed itself out through over commercialization, it's probably that simple.
In the words of Roger Waters "No tears to cry.. no feelings left... this species has amused itself to death." Thats the key "amused". Just amused, focusing on things that make us feel good (amused) while the world suffers and no one says (or sings) a thing. Time is linear memories are strange, history is for fools, man is a tool in the hands of the great God almighty. And they sent him along in a nuclear submarine in search of the garden of eden. The fighting of the war has become the entertainment, and oh now it has become the president. Literally amusing ourselves to death with the drama while Rome burns.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You can drive round town in 2019 playing e.g. Block Rockin' Beats as loud as you did in 1997 'cos it's still a choooon. Driving round in 1997, I don't think there would have been much electronic music from 1975 that had that effect.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
You can drive round town in 2019 playing e.g. Block Rockin' Beats as loud as you did in 1997 'cos it's still a choooon. Driving round in 1997, I don't think there would have been much electronic music from 1975 that had that effect.
Block Rockin' Beats reminds me of the vibe I get from 90's Florida breakbeats, it's lower tempo music that's just chilling. There's always been plenty to listen to, geesh in 8th grade (1987) I was listening to LL Cool J, Fat Boys, and lots of stuff from a street music mix tape I have no idea what it was, but was cool. Of course breakdancing. High school was relatively benign (Pink Floyd) but in college it was about raving. Just something that kept me listening in every generation, until I got married and had a kid then it was waaaaaaaaa (that was my music until 3 years old). And then I somehow got lost in translation.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'm a fan of boc, aphex twin, massive attack, amon tobin, some venetian stuff, daft punk, listened to goldie, portishead, orbital, admittedly not a lot of early '90s dance stuff, but I like a lot of it, especially electronic music, which was pretty inventive at that point. Stll, I'll have to offer a controversial opinion here, especially being that I'm on the younger side (27), that there has been more adventurous, daring and experimental electronic music that went somewhat commercial in the past 10 years than probably ever before. Also, I feel like some of you have just decided that everything new is bad a decade or two ago, and haven't really bothered to look around at what was happening in the meantime.

These are mostly albums, starting with techno/house/whatever towards more experimental stuff:

Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Andy Stott - Luxury Problems
Skee Mask - Compro
St Germain - St Germain
Nicolas Jaar - The three sides of Audrey / No one is looking at U
Haxan Cloak - Excavation
Jlin - Black Origami
Daniel Wohl - Holographic
Flying Lotus - Until The Quiet Comes
FKA Twigs - LP1
Forest Swords - Engravings
James Holden - The Inheritors
Burial - Untrue, Kindred
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - Ears
James Blake - James Blake, Overgrown
Kelly Moran - Helix
Sufjan Stevens - The Age Of Adz
The Caretaker - An Empty Bliss Beyond This World
Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
Tim Hecker - Virgins
Jana Winderen - Energy Field
Autechre - Exai

Also, most of these have insanely impressive production, in my opinion. Hope you enjoy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque_ View Post
I'm a fan of boc, aphex twin, massive attack, amon tobin, some venetian stuff, daft punk, listened to goldie, portishead, orbital, admittedly not a lot of early '90s dance stuff, but I like a lot of it, especially electronic music, which was pretty inventive at that point. Stll, I'll have to offer a controversial opinion here, especially being that I'm on the younger side (27), that there has been more adventurous, daring and experimental electronic music that went somewhat commercial in the past 10 years than probably ever before. Also, I feel like some of you have just decided that everything new is bad a decade or two ago, and haven't really bothered to look around at what was happening in the meantime.

These are mostly albums, starting with techno/house/whatever towards more experimental stuff:

Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Skee Mask - Compro
St Germain - St Germain
Haxan Cloak - Excavation
Jlin - Black Origami
FKA Twigs - LP1
Burial - Untrue, Kindred
Kelly Moran - Helix
Tim Hecker - Virgins
Autechre - Exai

Also, most of these have insanely impressive production, in my opinion. Hope you enjoy.
That's a good list. Love the production on FKA Twigs, very digital but very good.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque_ View Post

Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Skee Mask - Compro
St Germain - St Germain
Haxan Cloak - Excavation
Jlin - Black Origami
FKA Twigs - LP1
Burial - Untrue, Kindred
Kelly Moran - Helix
Tim Hecker - Virgins
Autechre - Exai

I’ve heard too much of this stuff. This is like a perfectly curated list of hip electronic crap that I could never hear again and it would be too soon. Perfect examples of the emperor’s new clothes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Some one/person/them? - (nobody seems to know who is behind the name) that i've been loving is Galaxy Lane on Maceo Plex's label.

Still holding it down for quality music in this day and age.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
Fake happiness. Couldn’t have said it any better.
Indeed. I'm a big fan of 80's en 90's music, and electronic dance/pop in particular. Yeah, you had "happy" stuff, but a lot of music was pretty dark sounding. Also commercial music.

When I hear the music of today I think, what the hell happened? It strikes me too how "happy" and "uplifting" current music is. Why? It's only annoying.

Give me dark, melancholic melodies.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Edit!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
https://www.whosampled.com/The-Chemi...ckin%27-Beats/

Contains 3 samples of music that pre-dates 1975, so that record could not of existed without music already available in 1975 though. So that CB track is not entirley electronic as it contains acoustic samples.

You'd need to maybe head to 1981 to find fully electronic music that has the same effect...

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post

Contains 3 samples of music that pre-dates 1975, so that record could not of existed without music already available in 1975 though. So that CB track is not entirley electronic as it contains acoustic samples.

You'd need to maybe head to 1981 to find fully electronic music that has the same effect...

Yeah there are definitely zero 70s electronic funky tracks that still bang in the whip

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawSon View Post
Yeah there are definitely zero 70s electronic funky tracks that still bang in the whip

Yes, I'm aware of these other disco etc records, but I meant with hard break sounds, compareable to Block Rockin beats but fully electronic...

This is why I didn't go there, I could of named Apache by the Incredible Bongo Band and other Funk etc, but it's not fully(or at all) electronic.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of these other disco etc records, but I meant with hard break sounds, compareable to Block Rockin beats but fully electronic...

This is why I didn't go there, I could of named Apache by the Incredible Bongo Band and other Funk etc, but it's not fully electronic.
What makes samples breakbeats played by live drummers “fully electronic”?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

The bass note may be sampled out of 1975, but the riff itself is straight off of 23 skidoo's Coup from the rather different musical world of the mid 80s.

I've never been much of a Kraftwerk fan , Yello in 1981 however ...

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What makes samples breakbeats played by live drummers “fully electronic”?

I'm not under that impression that Block Rockin Beats was fully electronic - I even said that earlier! Re-read what I said when you first quoted me...

"So that CB track is not entirley electronic as it contains acoustic samples."

This was in response to badmark...

"You can drive round town in 2019 playing e.g. Block Rockin' Beats as loud as you did in 1997 'cos it's still a choooon. Driving round in 1997, I don't think there would have been much electronic music from 1975 that had that effect."

Last edited by breakmixer; 1 week ago at 01:55 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There was a lot of crap back in the 90s.
But there’s even more now

I just went through Apple Music today making a playlist of my favourite Autechre songs from the 90s (before they lost all melody) and there’s a lot of great sounding stuff there.

The difference in low fidelity vs hi fidelity is a bit like listening to soft dome tweeters vs ribbons. Jesus I hate ribbon tweeters...and a large percentage of crap I hear that passes as electronic music (essentially anything with auto tuned vocals falls into the crap category)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora View Post
???

Better is subjective but the evolution has definitely occurred.
About sums up current overall state of humanity, too
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve heard too much of this stuff. This is like a perfectly curated list of hip electronic crap that I could never hear again and it would be too soon. Perfect examples of the emperor’s new clothes.
If I picked 3 out, burial, twigs, and skee mask, I struggle to see how the word ‘crap’, or the phrase ‘emperor’s new clothes’ refers to these artists. Of course, taste is subjective.

This same thread comes up on gs every year or so.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I just stumbled on this DJ Mix - He spins through commercial/club house classics of the 80's at a fast pace for 15 minutes, his mixing aside I wonder what the 90's heads(who weren't clubbing in the 80's) think of his cross section selection of late 80's/early 90's house?

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

^^^ Nice tunes.....

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just stumbled on this DJ Mix
great room
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
From an objective POV is sounds better — literally — it sounds fuller and crisper — but subjectivity I generally dislike it relative to the 90s when it sounded simpler and rawer. That said, maybe it was the scratchy vinyl from Satellite Records that gave it that sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
^^^ Nice tunes.....

He only dropped 4/5 tunes I don't have, Alison Limerick as I dislike it, Kraze Let's Play House - The Party is better, Steve Silk Hurley - Work It Out(on its way now via Ebay), lastly Pump Up The Volume MARRS - for some reason I've not got it already, so will grab a copy from somewhere....Oh, also I think he dropped Djum Djum - Difference at the start, is that what it was, had the 12" track back in the day?

But yeah, like the old Toni Scott Hip House stuff a lot, I think he only done one duff track, one with Ben Liebrand I think....?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
He only dropped 4/5 tunes I don't have, Alison Limerick as I dislike it, Kraze Let's Play House - The Party is better, Steve Silk Hurley - Work It Out(on its way now via Ebay), lastly Pump Up The Volume MARRS - for some reason I've not got it already, so will grab a copy from somewhere....Oh, also I think he dropped Djum Djum - Difference at the start, is that what it was, had the 12" track back in the day?

But yeah, like the old Toni Scott Hip House stuff a lot, I think he only done one duff track, one with Ben Liebrand I think....?
Are you saying you had never heard Marrs' Pump Up The Volume before now?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Are you saying you had never heard Marrs' Pump Up The Volume before now?
No, I bought it back in the 80's as a kid and sold my collection when I bought my first house - I started collecting old school again about 2002, so yep I know it well. Just haven't hunted a copy down as yet. Got the Coldcut and Bomb The Bass Stuff though lol. Oh yes, Bass How Low Can You go is missing from my collection too...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, I bought it back in the 80's as a kid and sold my collection when I bought my first house - I started collecting old school again about 2002, so yep I know it well. Just haven't hunted a copy down as yet. Got the Coldcut and Bomb The Bass Stuff though lol. Oh yes, Bass How Low Can You go is missing from my collection too...
Ah, right on.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetuT View Post
If I picked 3 out, burial, twigs, and skee mask, I struggle to see how the word ‘crap’, or the phrase ‘emperor’s new clothes’ refers to these artists. Of course, taste is subjective.

This same thread comes up on gs every year or so.
Burial probably sounds great if you never heard El-B. And Twigs probably sounds great if you never heard any weird kind of r&b. Skee Mask literally never sounds great.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
And Twigs probably sounds great if you never heard any weird kind of r&b.
So ignorant.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Burial probably sounds great if you never heard El-B. And Twigs probably sounds great if you never heard any weird kind of r&b. Skee Mask literally never sounds great.
Not sure what el-b sounds like untrue. And i’m not sure who else sounds like twigs, fyi she doesn’t consider herself r&b, she’s just referred to as r&b in the media because she’s black.

Skee mask we can agree to disagree, I’ve been killing his last two albums the last few months and I really like them.

I grew up listening to 90s music, I understand that it was a different time to now, in some ways I feel sorry for the kids. But to make out like there’s nothing decent coming out now is misguided imo.

I’m not saying this is what you’re doing, but this is the slant these threads generally take.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search