The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Brian Eno's Synth in U2's Last Night On Earth
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Brian Eno's Synth in U2's Last Night On Earth

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and before I ask away I's like to thank all the members here for their excellent knowledge and advice. It really make a difference in aiding our creations.

Ok so back when U2 were half decent, Eno played this filter heavy synth on "Last Night on Earth" heard here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDoLskUQvb8

Does anyone know what synth, presets, match this sound? I'm guessing it was a DX7?

Any help appreciated!

S*
Old 1st July 2019
Old 2nd July 2019
Gear Maniac

That synth sound with the pitch glide at the beginning at the start of the track reminds me of a Nord Lead.
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

From one of their better albums imho. They hate it, said it was too rushed at the end. Sometimes things you hate others like a lot
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

It's not a DX7. I can't place it, sorry.

Those drums sound 12 bit. I wonder why they wanted them to sound like that...
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

We know it came out in 1997 and they were rushed. That tells me they probably just used a preset from a Rompler.

Every studio back then (and many now) had a Roland JV1080 or JV2080 loaded up with expansion cards laying around in some rack

To me it sounds like a preset from a JV expansion card perhaps tweaked a bit and then heavily processed
Old 2nd July 2019
I hear Korg Prophecy and JV-2080 sounds in there. The drums could be from a ROMpler layered with real drums.
Keep in mind I think Brian owned a Yamaha CS1x or similar too.
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

I don't think Eno had anything to do with 'Pop'? And the synth in the intro sounds to me like a factory preset from the ole' Nord Lead, i'm with markorbit
Old 3rd July 2019
A lot of this was Howie B, check out the interviews on the web, SOS i think.
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Sure sounds like a DW8000 to me. Whether that's what it is, I haven't a clue. That portamento style and the fast filter ( because it's a slider ) are spot on.
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

They were doing lots of leprechaun drugs at the time, it’s hard to say what they used. None of them remember but they all remember it being green so that rules out the Nord theory.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
They were doing lots of leprechaun drugs at the time, it’s hard to say what they used. None of them remember but they all remember it being green so that rules out the Nord theory.
LOL!!!
Old 3rd July 2019
From https://www.atu2.com/news/flood--how...g-u2s-pop.html

Flood;
But most eye-catching was the huge collection of vintage synths that graced the room: two enormous Roland System 700 synths, an ARP sequencer and 2600 synth, a Moog Series III, an EMS VCS3, a battered Yamaha SK10 string machine, an Oberheim 4-Voice and a Roland RE501 Chorus Echo.

"I started collecting these synths when I played in a band called Node, which was a four piece with all of us playing modular synths [see Node interview in SOS December '95], and when I was working with Mute Records bands like Nitzer Ebb and Renegade Soundwave. I use some of them during recording sessions; on Pop I used the ARP sequencer on 'Discothèque', and the backing track of 'Staring At The Sun' was played to the ARP running in free time, playing a really bizarre log drum-like sequence. I also put some guitar through the ARP 2600 on 'Mofo' and 'Please'. I used the VCS3 quite a bit on Pop as well. It's great because you can feed things into its line or mic input. I applied some VCS3 spring reverb and ring modulation in a few places, and used it a lot on the basic rhythm track of 'Gone'."

"I also used a Clavia Nord Lead an awful lot, along with filter banks, voltage-controlled oscillators, and an Oberheim Echoplex for tape delays. The Nord Lead really shone out on this record -- it's a fantastic synth. I'd just started using it when we began the album, so it was a fresh sound for me. It's a very quick keyboard to get a sound out of, because the way you work it is very 'analogue', even though it's a digital synth. The analogue-style controls are fantastic. Apart from the Nord, we used a Roland Juno 106, an EMS VCS3, and a little bit of Yamaha DX7. There's also a Hammond in there, and a fair bit of Rhodes."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search