The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
July 2019 New Gear Thread
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

Fwiw I’m running Windoze 8.1 Pro 64 bit with several apps in compatibility mode including the G1 editor without any problems. That compat mode is a godsend. Also the G1 editor app doesn't present much of a load to the computer like a VST would.

iPad is also quite handy for me. I’ve moved away from the soft synths on it to some degree but for recording I find it quite handy as a remote hardware editor, remote transport, and it gets used a lot for beat creation.
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
My PC is now 11 years old and I might need to replace it soon...
i'm looking at Power Mac G5 (late 2005) right now, and seems like will buy it
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah 1995 **** is cheap.

I got a 1997 laptop for £35 and a serial/parallel port midi interface for another £5, just to program my Nord G1, and take the load off the computer.

The IPad might also remove some load, and give me new synths. My PC is now 11 years old and I might need to replace it soon...but I’d probably build a Windows XP dream machine lol, max spec it could handle!
Yeah, still got a Nord G1 here too. I have an old XP laptop and USB midi box for it. Also good for editing and patch librarian of other forgotten old toys (M Audio Venom, Roland VG8 lol).

You can always find older HP/Dell Xeon workstations for nothing...basically a Mac Pro. Or just get an old Mac Pro.
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
i'm looking at Power Mac G5 (late 2005) right now, and seems like will buy it
My business partner to this day still has a G5 Pro tools HD3 rig...runs like a champ. Just a pain if you want to use modern plugins.
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Fwiw I’m running Windoze 8.1 Pro 64 bit with several apps in compatibility mode including the G1 editor without any problems. That compat mode is a godsend.

iPad is also quite handy. I’ve moved away from the soft synths on it to some degree but for recording I find it quite handy as an hardware editor, remote transport, and it gets used a lot for beat creation.
My important machines are not connected to the internet and still run Win7 Ultimate. Perfectly...
Old 6th July 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:

I got a 1997 laptop for £35 and a serial/parallel port midi interface for another £5, just to program my Nord G1, and take the load off the computer.
(...)
My PC is now 11 years old and I might need to replace it soon...but I’d probably build a Windows XP dream machine lol, max spec it could handle!
I am running Windows XP on PC from 2006 so 13 years old now
But sometimes i am scared that when i turn it off it will never turn on again
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
Lol, i am going to back up everything to a 1TB drive this week.
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

hehe i have a Windoze 98 installation in Virtualbox. its sole purpose is running old abandoned Bitheadz Retro AS-1 software synth.

tried to install 98 or Me on a real laptop from 2005 or 2006, but it's too new for them.
Old 6th July 2019
"Serious" purchases going down this month. Vacation wiped out my GAS money for the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
July 2019 New Gear Thread-byol123149.jpg   July 2019 New Gear Thread-il_fullxfull.1769193588_gok5-1-.jpg   July 2019 New Gear Thread-s-l300-1-.jpg  
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

I need to up my Lava Lamp game.
Old 7th July 2019
Gear Maniac

couldn't pass on the upgrade half off yearly offer.
Attached Thumbnails
July 2019 New Gear Thread-img_0221.jpeg  
Old 7th July 2019
Gear Addict
I've bought 2x S700 samplers. I didn't really want 2, but the first might not be repairable.

I've also bought an Ensoniq ASR-10 rack, which I should hopefully be collecting tomorrow along with the 2nd S700.

I seem to spend far more time searching for gear than actually trying to make music with it, which I hope is a passing phase. This site doesn't help as i'm always discovering and reading about gear that I think I must have, which is eating away constantly at my new car funds.
Old 8th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
I built a DAW in 2006 that is now used as an extra internet browser. After being out of the office for several days over the 4th it wouldn't boot when I tried to fire it up the other day. (System disc wasn't spinning) I remembered reading about the ancient technique of giving the disc a tap or jolt when powering up. So with nothing to lose I raised the front of the machine about 4 inches off the floor and dropped it directly after powering on. Booted up and still going strong. Until it doesn't.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican View Post
I built a DAW in 2006 that is now used as an extra internet browser. After being out of the office for several days over the 4th it wouldn't boot when I tried to fire it up the other day. (System disc wasn't spinning) I remembered reading about the ancient technique of giving the disc a tap or jolt when powering up. So with nothing to lose I raised the front of the machine about 4 inches off the floor and dropped it directly after powering on. Booted up and still going strong. Until it doesn't.
Get another hard drive in there while it still works and clone the system disc. At least then you can just switch out the drive and it'll continue to work.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

My PC has been backing up all night.
It feels good to do this, I haven’t before.
Old 8th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin View Post
Get another hard drive in there while it still works and clone the system disc. At least then you can just switch out the drive and it'll continue to work.
Thanks!

I'm prepared for the worst. This machine has been through the ringer and I'll be happy to let it finally retire on its own terms. We have a special place for all our old machines...Sort of a retired DAW graveyard. Strangely comforting to see them all in one place.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Not the most exciting things really, but I ordered one of these:

Purchased in anticipation of the upcoming NerdSEQ update that will utilize the Launchpad for programming the NerdSEQ, as seen here:

In the meantime it will replace my OG Launchpad (which I will give to a friend who is learning Ableton Live)...slightly sad to see that go just due to nostalgia, as I got it a few days before it was officially released at Guitar Center about a decade ago and it was the thing that helped push me into finally learning synthesis after trying to fake synth sounds with guitar and Fx for years. Still tho, there’s no room, and it’s just been used as a clip launcher for years as I have Push 2 and still underutilize that. Can’t say the Launchpad Pro will see any greater use until that NerdSEQ update/module drops, but once it does it’s on like Donkey Kong.

Also ordered a 1 Spot pedal power adapter/chain bundle, since the cheapo Monoprice one I had sh1t the bed a while ago and I need a separate chain from my other cheapo Monoprice pedal chain that is currently still working, so I can power the Expert Sleepers USAMO, Bastl Micro Granny, and a couple stereo pedals I want to run separately into a patchbay from my other guitar pedals. And finally, a 6 pack of 1 foot power extension cables, because I am quite literally out of space for power after patching in the last few things I had in mind today. I might be able to still squirrel in a couple more things physically, but I’m running 10+ outlets on each of the 6 surge protectors in my studio (one per outlet), and the only way to fit the power in for the aforementioned Launchpad Pro is by freeing the last remaining plug still covered by a wall wart. That’s a hard physical limit, and I’m ok with it...just means I’m stuck to guitar pedals and eurorack in the remaining space I have. I certainly have enough to finish some music in any case
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Addict
A size of a computer keyboard, but a surprisingly capable little thing.

Old 8th July 2019
3bc
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi,

I have just ordered a new piece of gear which will be winging its way to me in July, so thought I’d start a new thread. There is a nice story attached to it.

What I managed to buy was an Alesis Fusion 6HD, with the following upgrades:

- 120GB SSD for storage
- Max ram, approx 384MB

I got it for £350 + P&P

Which when you think about it is astounding for something that is nearly as powerful as a Korg Kronos...the Kronos being about £6-700 more expensive.

So, the main reason I bought it, aside from the unique synthesis options, is that I will be playing live with my band again.

I have not performed in approx 3 years due to crippling mental health issues, including body dysmorphia, in fact I didn’t leave the house, apart from to go to work, for a couple of those years. So the fact that I’m even considering live performance is baffling...getting better seemed so impossible.

So there we go, a synth purchase that represents something very positive.

Congratulations! As someone who took a long break from performing live, has had a lot of new anxiety issues in the interim years, and then had a near panic attack before my last gig in March I can relate a little bit for sure! Felt right as rain 30 seconds into the first tune but like I might pass out right up until that point. Which was odd because I’ve played in bands my whole life, sometimes playing in front of thousands of people and have done quite a few shows in my day with no issues!

Still working through all that.

I’ve already had a very busy July. Bought an S950 that I didn’t get on with and just sold on reverb in about 6 hours for about $150 profit since I stumbled onto a brand new eBay listing that was very underpriced when I bought it. The small screen was just a little too hard for me. Bought an S1000 instead, haven’t gotten to play with that yet. Bought Serato Sample on sale, and looking at an MPD 226 pad controller.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze View Post
A size of a computer keyboard, but a surprisingly capable little thing.

I have the black one. I worked out that coupled with my integra 7 i can program velocity switching of drum sounds so i can have multiple drum sounds mapped to each pad if i choose, however on those pads you do loose velocity control of volume/filter or whatever but useful none the less.
Theoretically i could have 127 sounds on each pad but i haven't tried that because it would be daft. Max i have done is about 3 on some percussion sounds.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Great-looking piece of gear.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
Great-looking piece of gear.
I don't even know what it is and I want one.
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Guru

It's a render. It's not actually hardware
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraeus000 View Post
just took a $700 gamble on a Pearl Syncussion SY-1 on Reverb. It looked in excellent cosmetic shape but it was sold as is/untested, supposedly no power supply and came with a ton of other gear, sounds like maybe an estate acquisition. I made an offer and he took it,

fingers crossed

a little follow-up:

I received the Pearl Syncussion and the good news, it powers on and Channel 2 works splendidly, sounds cool !

Now the bad news: though Channel 1 input triggers/led flashes, I get no output and no lfo flashing led.

(update: Ch 1 working intermittently now after spraying Deoxit. If I stand the unit upright it works, also if I jiggle or push in the lfo depth slider or the waveform switch)

anyone know a good repair place in the midwest US ?

Last edited by astraeus000; 9th July 2019 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: update
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I don't even know what it is and I want one.
it's a plugin by Acustica Audio.

I thought it looked cool before I realized it was a plug.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
It's a render. It's not actually hardware
Haha. I'm always getting fooled by "new gear" posts on Synthopia too. Wish they'd stop making them so realistic.
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiglo View Post
I've bought 2x S700 samplers. I didn't really want 2, but the first might not be repairable.
And the second one is also faulty. Powers up, display works, receives midi, but doesnt receive a line or mic input and has the common Quick Disk drive fault. So 2 broken S700's

If anyone is looking to sell one that works, either with or without disk drive failure then please get in touch
Old 9th July 2019
Here for the gear

I bought one of these:

(not my pic)

Why? I want to learn how to work with a sound processor and especially a multiband compressor. Because of the brand name, these go for very little money, and it doesn't sound too bad at all. And if it's anything like my V-Verb pro, I won't be complaining.
I also have to play around with the exciter and tube emulations. I think I will be in the 'what does this button do?' phase for quite some time
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Nut
I always wanted the SDD-320, but never had the money and watched them steadily go up from $600 to $1300 these days...

Then the Sereph Deluxe pedal came out for $350, so I started saving up for one...

Then Boss came out with the DC-2w for $240, so I put one in my basket at Sweetwater for when they come back in stock...

Then, last week on a whim I searched Amazon and found a DC-2w on back-order for $140 new!

AND NOW AT LAST I HAVE THE DIMENSION D! FOR $140!!

I AM SO FCUKING HAPPY!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search