The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good hw desktop effects in $200 range
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Addict

Good hw desktop effects in $200 range

I have a few desktop units that could use hardware effects. Would be great if u could list ur favorite (stereo or mono, I need both) along with what u like about them. If it matters I need them for Blofeld, DX200, Neutron, and Boog. I am also thinking about just using the effects in Cubase 10, so thoughts on that vs hw are also welcome. Looking to find solutions. Multi fx would be great but I need tweakable reverb more than anything else. I can do stuff like compressor in software. Thinking about spending $200 (new or used) on a few units (different ones for diff flavors) and dedicate each one to a synth.
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Guru

I’m not sure if there are good desktop multi effects with knobs in your price range, but you could get a Lexicon MPX-1 for that, and it’s excellent, but a bit of a hassle to edit. Maybe one of the Line 6 processors?
Old 26th June 2019
Here for the gear

Zoom G3 guitar multi unit works great with hardware synths and get be had cheap on the used market! Lots of reverbs that are easy to tweak along with great delays, chorus, flanger, amp sims and pretty much anything else you can think of.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m not sure if there are good desktop multi effects with knobs in your price range, but you could get a Lexicon MPX-1 for that, and it’s excellent, but a bit of a hassle to edit.
I'd suggest the MPX550, it sounds just a s good as the MPX1 but is far easier and intuitive to tweak. The drawback is that it's not as deeply programmable as the MPX1 but in most cases that should be irrelevant.

I own both an MPX1 and a MPX550 so this recommendation is based on my direct experience with them.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Yep, MPX-1 owner here, I still love the way it sounds. The Polara reverb sounds really great too, and affordable.
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post
I'd suggest the MPX550, it sounds just a s good as the MPX1 but is far easier and intuitive to tweak. The drawback is that it's not as deeply programmable as the MPX1 but in most cases that should be irrelevant.

I own both an MPX1 and a MPX550 so this recommendation is based on my direct experience with them.
Yeah, I loved the sound of the 1, but programming it... I’d rather go to the dentist.
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Guru

You could probably pick up a Korg Kaoss Pad, Mk1 or 2 for that. Not traditional, but fun to tweak and play.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear
The old line of Electrix effects are rack mount, but have a chamfer alowing them to tilt while sitting on a surface. Cheap decent effects.
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
The old line of Electrix effects are rack mount, but have a chamfer alowing them to tilt while sitting on a surface. Cheap decent effects.
Oh yeah, I had the MoFX and the vocoder one. Fun.
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Guru

Kaoss Pad? Not great effects, but lots of fun.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 View Post

I also own both of these and concur with what others have already said. About two months ago i paid 115.00 for my MPX550 and they are an absolute steal at that price.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Used to own an MPX550, can concur they are excellent and versatile. But they are rack units of course, not "desktop".
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
Used to own an MPX550, can concur they are excellent and versatile. But they are rack units of course, not "desktop".
Mine sits on my desk sometimes Although at the moment it's on a shelf sitting on top of my JV-2010.
Old 27th June 2019
Deleted c985153
These are pedals rather than desktop but I used them all as desktop and nobody complained...

Zoom CDR 70- stereo multi-effects with lots of options and up to 6 effects chained in series

Also check out the mr. Black pedals. I really like the twin lasers and the panatrem, and they should be roughly 200 USD I believe. relatively simple units that just sound great

I like the pigtronix poly saturator as a flexible drive/ EQ kind of box. Can be smooth or fuzzy or in between and it's not very expensive ( should be able to get it for less than 100 USD)
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear
The T.C. Electronic Hall of Fame reverb pedal works really well with synths, to my taste. It's stereo in and out, handles line-level inputs (e.g. synths) without distortion, has a simple but well-selected set of knobs (one of which selects different flavors of reverb), and can be set up as an insert effect (wet only out) if need be.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Addict

Appreciate the responses. I have noted 3 to buy. If there are others that are good and have not been mentioned please add them.
One question. Can I feed two mono synths into each channel of a stereo effect and have the channels spit out the other end unmixed and distinct? I realize they would get the same effect which is ok, but I would want each channel to remain otherwise separate so I mix later.
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r View Post
Appreciate the responses. I have noted 3 to buy. If there are others that are good and have not been mentioned please add them.
One question. Can I feed two mono synths into each channel of a stereo effect and have the channels spit out the other end unmixed and distinct? I realize they would get the same effect which is ok, but I would want each channel to remain otherwise separate so I mix later.
it depends on the unit. In order to do that you want one that's not just stereo, but a dual channel processor. The Lexicon MPX550 and Boss RV-500 can do this. The TC Hall of Fame can't.

I don't think the Boss RV-500 was mentioned and it's a bit out of your price point, but it's definitely worth a look. Great sound and effect and you can do two reverbs and delay. You can have the reverbs stacked, or you can have a discrete reverb on each channel. It also has an excellent model of the Space Echo.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Last year Ive searched for some good reverb/shimmer and in the end I bought a Neunaber immerse reverberator, real lush reverb with endless trails, it's stereo and a little above 200.
Another great one is the Boss RE20 space echo, it's about the same pricerange.
Ofcourse you can put in two mono sources into a stereo effectbox, it's two in and two out so you can put them seperately in your audio interface as two mono signals.
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Anyone know if I can use this with a microfreak?
https://www.mrblackpedals.com/collec...ts/mini-reverb
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r View Post
Anyone know if I can use this with a microfreak?
https://www.mrblackpedals.com/collec...ts/mini-reverb

Yeah, it should be fine with any synth and the output on the Microfreak i son the low side anyway.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

My vote goes to an Ensoniq ASR-X, great effects, and nice sampler too!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1200 View Post
My vote goes to an Ensoniq ASR-X, great effects, and nice sampler too!
Oh come on man, seems overkill. I have a mr. black over drive pedal, will add the reverb (don't much like delay) and get freaky.
Old 5 days ago
Kurzweil Rumour can be had for around $200, and it's a pretty decent sounding machine for reverb (not so much for "real" spaces though)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

For desktop fx, I'm fine with pedals that take line level. Number one with a bullet is the Korg SDD-3000 re-issue pedal, it was about $200 on close-out. Best budget buy was a pair of DigiTech iStomps, you can load different fx algorithms into them on iOS using a 30 pin adaptor, the whole fx library is now free on the App Store, nice Lexicon hall included. For lower input levels the Zoom G3 was ok, but mono in stereo out.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac
I would look for an old Roland VF1. 1/2 rack space and tons of great effects.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Zoom CDR 70
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Line6 M5 or M9 are excellent
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Known very well in the live sound arena and many guitar rigs but not so much in the synth world is the TC Electronic M One XL.

It's rack gear but can sit on a desk or rack on a desk

Has fantastic Reverbs which is it's strength, decent chorus, and really good delays.

It has two effects engines that you can run one into the other, or in parallel, or as two seperate engines.

Very easy to program also. It is also from the era of TC before they bought out by Behringer if that matters.

If you like the TC Hall of Fame and Flashback pedals you will love the M One XL. Same idea but with much richer verbs

I think I paid $80 for mine at my local Music-Go-Round in mint condition
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

For reverb, I'd just go with one of the less expensive Lexicons.

For a bit more variety, Zoom stuff is good and inexpensive.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search