The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha SY35
Old 25th June 2019
Here for the gear

Yamaha SY35

I've recently bought a Yamaha SY35 and i've been trying to use it with the software editor Ctrlr (http://ctrlr.org/sy35-voice-editor/) so I can access some of the under the hood features.

I'm using windows 10 (64 bit) and a usb to midi cable and i've followed all the instructions in the Ctrl manual you get when you download it but I still can't get it to work.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated to get it working.

Thanks!
Old 3rd July 2019
Here for the gear

Bumping this to see if anyone has any ideas!

Not the funnest synth to program without an editor.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by dngdwn View Post
Bumping this to see if anyone has any ideas!

Not the funnest synth to program without an editor.
Did you ever figure this out? I've followed any instructions that are given. I have only achieved part functionality. The CTRLR forum isn't allowing new users.
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
is the sysex filter enabled on the SY35?
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Head
Yes, It is all set per the instructions. I'm thinking it must have something to do with my version of windows, maybe? Windows 7 home version. Like I said, a couple of the functions work intermittently.
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
FWIW lots of the USB to Midi cables don't transmit Sysex properly and will either work intermittently or not at all

Especially the more generic ones. Roland makes good ones
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTG View Post
Yes, It is all set per the instructions. I'm thinking it must have something to do with my version of windows, maybe? Windows 7 home version. Like I said, a couple of the functions work intermittently.
The OS should be irrelevant.

What MIDI interface are you using?

Those cheap USB midi cables have been reported to be incompatible with sysex data. I would try using a different MIDI interface.

I once had a USB cable I bought on DealExtreme and it was a nightmare to work with it. It used to corrupt sysex data and only a few synths worked properly with it. I experienced sysex corruption with a Kawai K4, an Ensoniq SQ-80 and a Yamaha SY-35 (it seems to be your case).
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
The OS should be irrelevant.

What MIDI interface are you using?

Those cheap USB midi cables have been reported to be incompatible with sysex data. I would try using a different MIDI interface.

I once had a USB cable I bought on DealExtreme and it was a nightmare to work with it. It used to corrupt sysex data and only a few synths worked properly with it. I experienced sysex corruption with a Kawai K4, an Ensoniq SQ-80 and a Yamaha SY-35 (it seems to be your case).
Keyboard- Hosa midi to USB cable-keyboard. I'm running nothing other than the SY35 panel. No DAW. It's quite possible the cable is the issue. It's pretty new/ rarely used. It has worked tranfering sysex data between Ensoniq machines. But, certainly not an expensive piece of equipment.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTG View Post
Keyboard- Hosa midi to USB cable-keyboard. I'm running nothing other than the SY35 panel. No DAW. It's quite possible the cable is the issue. It's pretty new/ rarely used. It has worked tranfering sysex data between Ensoniq machines. But, certainly not an expensive piece of equipment.
Ok.

I guess it is this one:

It's exactly the same I had (the brand seems to be different but these devices are generic and you can order them with your own brand and logo).

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...589297896.html

In my case, this USB cable was causing the problem. I managed to get it working with a limited set of instruments after tweaking sysex tx/rx
parameters on the editor/librarian side (those related to the buffer size, number of buffers, transmission speed, etc.) but I finally got rid of it and started using a better MIDI interface.

All my troubles disappeared immediately after changing the interface.
๐Ÿ“ Reply