The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Speculation on the next Sequential instrument
Old 16th June 2019
Speculation on the next Sequential instrument

Okay, so the Prophet 12 line is being discontinued, which means the Pro2 will be the next sunset product. The Prophet X sampler has been out there for a little while, but will certainly be in production for the next few years. I believe the Prophet 6/OB6 line will continue to be manufactured for at least three or four more years.

So, what do you think is next in the Sequential line up?

My speculations are:

1. Possibly a Prophet VS-inspired instrument that builds on the legacy of the Prophet 12 and Evolver series. I believe Dave Smith is interested in providing the market with digital and analog options. Furthermore, a third analog polysynth does not make sense considering there are already two in production. Why compete with your own product line? Furthermore, a digital instrument of this design is fundamentally different from the sample-based Prophet X. Seems a likely bet.

2. A VCO-based monosynth. Smith certainly leverages their developed technology into lineages. With all of the design work they've done in modern VCO circuits, including management of dozens of control voltages, this is a logical progression. My gut instinct says it would combine functions of the old Pro-One and the Pro2: four VCO's plus a sub-oscillator, comprehensive sequencing, more modulation options than the P6, and possibly with dual filter design (Sequential 4 pole, Oberheim 2 pole). Don't be surprised if it is discrete technology. There is a chance they may incorporate a "two voice" mode--two voices with two oscillators, maybe including a sub-oscillator. This would probably certainly be the case if Smith incorporates a true stereo VCF/VCA pathway, which he is apt to do.

What does everyone else think? What do you think Sequential is up to? (Because they are always up to something great.)
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

FPGA based synth, I reckon.
Old 16th June 2019
I'm hoping it's a modern 4 voice in collaboration with Tom Oberheim.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Nut

Improved P12 with six digital oscillators.
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Another Oberheim, considering TO discontinued both the 4 voice and the module some time ago.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hopefully some best of all worlds synth, sort of like a Prologue. Maybe the two filters of the Pro 2, polyphonic, with analog and digital oscillators like Evolver. But no LFOs included
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Yes yes yes yes yes
Old 17th June 2019
im not sure really, since in some ways PX is a continuation of P12. but in many ways it isn't. sonically and from synth arhitecture flexibility POV it definitely isn't. also i agree it may be too soon for another VCO poly.

my bet is a new hybrid that will be of P12/P2 legacy will come first, but it will have SSI2144 filters. possibly, if we are lucky, they upgrade the CPU and digital part of the synth for higher resolution (both audio and modulation speed), and finally add some more concrete sounding waves than what was in the previous synths. linear fm and character section stays etc. yeah divide-by-n type digital oscillators with a megahertz range main osc, housed in FPGA, like UDO has, would be out of this world. but i doubt it. its probably going to be metallic digi osc you find in P2/P12/PX. hope i am wrong.

down the line, probably a CEM3340 polysynth will happen. because if Dave doesn't, someone else will steal the show, and pretty soon. the throne is still empty. even tho Black Corp released two 3340 machines already, imo for various reasons, from sonics to form factor, to price, they both failed to be what a new Prophet could and potentially should be.

if he does, i pray for three things: he drops the cpu assisted perma-tuning, uses thicker and hairier VCAs like CA3080 (its manufactured again), and uses original OnChip CEM3340, not the fizzy Coolaudio clone. then we just might step into girth and organic liveliness that once graced his old polyanalogs.

only other idea, that seems plausible to me at this point is, AS-1 mono with knobs. lots of knobs. plus a sequencer. a PRO3 of sorts. or a redesigned version of it with the SSI filtering for LP section.

i'd be interested in all three
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Maniac

When do people speculate a new synth might be available?
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Dream mode: ON

Polys:

1) Scanning wavetable thru analog filters, crazy drivable mixer, VCA and common FX section with analog overdrive?

2) A VCO flagship, with stereo filters, two LFOs, Aux envelope, xmod, feedback and analog bbd (like Dave said in - probably - p12 video: he is a sucker for delays, and so am I. Go for it!).

3) Tempest successor.

Dream mode: OFF

4) Fully digital polysynth, like Montage, but with Sequential's ergonomy.
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

I think DSI/Sequential needs to evolve (heh) into a new market niche. VCO monos are a dead prospect: Korg/Behringer for affordable (and ever increasing) options; Moog for the hipsters-with-money crowd. Novation is now in the hybrid poly market.

Does DSI go for vintage-with-a-twist reissues like the Prophet-6 and OB-6? Would love to see a John Bowen collab for a modular Solaris 2.0 with analog filters.
Old 17th June 2019
Deleted c985153
New fangled drum machine to blow all our minds please
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
if he does, i pray for three things: he drops the cpu assisted perma-tuning, uses thicker and hairier VCAs like CA3080 (its manufactured again), and uses original OnChip CEM3340, not the fizzy Coolaudio clone. then we just might step into girth and organic liveliness that once graced his old polyanalogs.
Aren't they identical? (CEM3340)
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

There is also the choice of slowly retire the whole company, if no chief engineer can replace the pioneer Dave Smith. Keeping product lines as long as they sell well. I mean, people get simply older ... look at Tom Oberheim and his company. As sad as it may sound. To my knowledge, they don't produce anything anymore. And FPGA design isn't something you learn overnight, it is a different terrain compared to software programming and requires a lot of other skills. At least, they would have to hire new people. Currently, the company has a face, and that is Dave Smith. Without him, I am not sure that the gap could be filled. With Moog it worked out, ok.

Last edited by Synthpark; 17th June 2019 at 01:50 PM..
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Addict

but Dave isnt the only person in the office....at least i hope so (not that i know who does what out there)
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
2. A VCO-based monosynth. Smith certainly leverages their developed technology into lineages. With all of the design work they've done in modern VCO circuits, including management of dozens of control voltages, this is a logical progression. My gut instinct says it would combine functions of the old Pro-One and the Pro2: four VCO's plus a sub-oscillator, comprehensive sequencing, more modulation options than the P6, and possibly with dual filter design (Sequential 4 pole, Oberheim 2 pole). Don't be surprised if it is discrete technology. There is a chance they may incorporate a "two voice" mode--two voices with two oscillators, maybe including a sub-oscillator. This would probably certainly be the case if Smith incorporates a true stereo VCF/VCA pathway, which he is apt to do.

Yes, please!
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

How about a Prophet X mk 2 with VCOs, granular synthesis, FM/Phase, Wavetable scanning and multi-mode filters.

Partner with Spitfire for the samples.

If the made a 61 key version with weighted keys under 120cm wide, I'd be the happiest person on earth.

Stehen
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Yes, please!
Do the market really need another VCO monosynth?
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabar View Post
Do the market really need another VCO monosynth?
If it's a beefed up reissue of the venerable Pro One, yes. There will always be a market for it.

Or a beefed up Prophet 5, Rev.2.
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post

Or a beefed up Prophet 5, Rev.2.
See post #17 . That's pretty much what I'm suggesting.

You should hear the X's filters with the Rev 2 oscillator samples. Be fantastic with the real thing.

Stephen
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
There is also the choice of slowly retire the whole company,... ...Currently, the company has a face, and that is Dave Smith. Without him, I am not sure that the gap could be filled. With Moog it worked out, ok.
Two further choices: the KFC method (character actor), or the secluded dictatorship model - he's fine, here's a photo we never released before!

For some reason I feel this is a premature discussion, tho. It seems that there are new buns in the oven, but AFAIK they haven't shared the ultrasound publicly. So, I guess I'll guess.

Pro 4 - stereo 4 voice, 4 updated digital oscs per, VA (inc superwaves), evolved VS, WT, FM, samples, xmod, feedback, drive, stereo SSI filters, mod mania, analog BBDs, digital fx including bitrate and sample rate reduction, stereo audio in, 4 trak note seq, motion seq, some CV I/O etc

We're running out of even numbers, so:

Pro 7 - bi-timbral, 6 stereo binaural DCOs and analog filters, and a 7th mono bass or lead voice with its own sub out. Splittable keyboard or module.

Sequential Fromage - entirely digital, big touchscreen, emulations and samples of all the classic sequential synths, presets like a tour down Memory Lane.

Sequential Devolver - a hybrid with onboard AI to help you come up with melodies, chord progressions, bass, and beats, each with Random and Humanize amount knobs. Random patch generator with Genetically Related amount knob, etc. You get the idea.

A Sequencer/Drum Machine - with comprehensive MIDI, maybe even capable of a MIDI 2.0 firmware update.

Sequential Expression - a fully integrated MPE synth/playing surface. Probably, it would have to be a collab with an MPE surface developer.

That's all I got right now...
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post

6 voice Matrix.

They could call it the Matrix 6.

Put some vco's in it this time though.
Old 17th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by satatek View Post
but Dave isnt the only person in the office....at least i hope so (not that i know who does what out there)
I got the feeling that part of re-naming the company Sequential is so it could carry on without him eventually.
Old 17th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
6 voice Matrix.
They could call it the Matrix 6.
Put some vco's in it this time though.
I used to love the VFD display on mine, and the keyboard made a nice controller. I also liked the nice flat space on top that could fit other gear like a drum machine or an ashtray. But hey it was "analog".
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Revolver.
6 voices
Kind of 6 voice P12, but Rev2 oscillators on top of 4 digital ones and those juicy filters from Pro2 to go with them as well.
And oscillator level interaction between the analog and digital instead of just mixing them.
And if we go that far, let’s throw a small chunk of memory for user samples while at it.
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Does it really matter?
Old 17th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by normanion View Post
Dream mode: OFF

4) Fully digital polysynth, like Montage, but with Sequential's ergonomy.
Could that be a kinda Prophet XD?
Same as Prophet X, but with digital filters and 256 voices?
I had been wishing for something like that some time ago (in the Prophet X thread I think) and was laughed at iirc.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Addict

Sequential / DSI is not for me. After owning the Tempest for 5 years, the price for the sound was not worth it. I’d rather spend 2k on something really cool like a modular system.
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelite View Post
Sequential / DSI is not for me. After owning the Tempest for 5 years, the price for the sound was not worth it. I’d rather spend 2k on something really cool like a modular system.
You are comparing a completely speculative unreleased synth that no one has idea idea about with a modular.
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelite View Post
did u try pro-2?

i also was on "meh" side of sequential camp before tbh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search