Moog clone...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

more like Model B clone
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
I wouldn’t think so, but I’ll admit I’m fuzzy on what the “T” was intended to convey. Touch? Does anyone know for certain? Paging @ CMB d for historical context, if available...
I'm unclear as to what this is referring to as well. FWIW The key bed in the T8 was built in house as far as I know.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd View Post
I'm unclear as to what this is referring to as well. FWIW The key bed in the T8 was built in house as far as I know.
Yes, it had that handcrafted feel for better and worse. We may never see its like again. If you ever do find out for sure where the naming originated, please clue us in!

(Oh, and I promise I’ll try to stop transposing letters in your alias - I actually did a search to find other references in the forum before posting and evidently there are lots of similarly confused folks here.)
Old 4 weeks ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m still lobbying for that Prophet T12! Not expecting one, mind you, but a girl can dream.
Maybe if Dave was listening he wouldn't resist this request...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wouldn’t think so, but I’ll admit I’m fuzzy on what the “T” was intended to convey. Touch? Does anyone know for certain? .
Googling suggests Touch
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I don't know what I want. I wouldn't mind seeing a simpler Prophet X with one sample and one digital osc. While were at it, lets make it work as a polyphony expander to the X.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can I pre-order the Pro-3?

Even if we don’t know what it is !?!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Pro-2 was a very powerfull monosynth. I'm very curious about how the Pro-3 can top that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Same as this ^^^ I’ve tried to replace my P2 but still love it 5 years later, can’t wait to see this if it really is a P3, go Dave
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think the only flagship mono would be a (semi-)modular like the ARP 2600 or Moog 35. The Pro-2 for most people wasn't even half-staff.

I'm hoping for a Matrix-12ish polyanalog, or Dave's take on an ARP Chroma at NAMM.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the only flagship mono would be a (semi-)modular like
No thanks. Sequential have been making analog synths with patch memory and digital control and I hope they expand on that rather than regressing to modular.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkle View Post
The Pro-2 was a very powerfull monosynth. I'm very curious about how the Pro-3 can top that.
I think that they could improve the interface, starting with that annoying multi page system in the oscillator section. It would be much better if they had put led encoders there.

They could also use 2 VCOs & 2 digital oscs instead of 4 digital oscs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
No thanks.
I can see how that would be read as a request. It wasn't. It's simply a comparison to what I see as a rather limp instrument. I know that the Pro-2 has its fans, but I find the enthusiasm for it to be weird, frankly, compared to what Dave and company could produce.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Maybe if Dave was listening he wouldn't resist this request...
I have no doubt he and his crew are listening as I know of a number of messages that were forwarded his way, and I had the luxury of a direct conversation at one point. Listening to customers is a very different art from obeying them. If Sequential tried to deliver what people were literally requesting in every case, they’d have a different synth for each person on the forum - and they’d be lucky to make a single sale on 10% of those instruments.

Instead, I trust that they’ll synthesize what they’re hearing with their own informed insights and produce something that there’s a good chance will see commercial success. I’ll be very curious to see what form that takes, and whether it’s something that makes sense for me (as I’m under no illusion that my particular tastes represent a mainstream opportunity.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Man Pro-2 is very powerful, I can’t even imagine anything better. I’d be knocked off my feet
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
They could also use 2 VCOs & 2 digital oscs instead of 4 digital oscs.
They could, but it would be a terrible idea that reduces the functionality of the synth compared to the Pro 2.

If they found a way to combine VCO's doing the basics with digital doing all the cool extra **** and expand what the Pro 2 could do, that would be insane, but reducing functionality just for the sake of a bit of subtle movement? I'd just go buy another Grandmother or even a Matriarch.
Anything that's to 4 osc's all capable of the exact same features is just a step backwards. No need for that.

People need to stop suggesting VCO's as it's just a **** idea and really, the Pro 2 was never for such people. I doubt Sequential will pay much attention to such people after they actually had the audacity to release the Pro 2 in the first place.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodweather View Post
Happy owner of a Pro 2 since its launch
Sometimes ago when I was in contact with DSI I proposed them to make a tri-timbral poly synth based on the Pro 2 (one timbre for the seq, 2 for the keyboard with layer/split).
Hope that Pro 3 means that one
The tri-timbral, triple-entendre poly synth... I love the Pro-3 already!

Insightful speculation!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Has Sequential ever produced a true bi-timbral mono-poly synth? Meaning, one timbre (synth layer) having the thicker voicing of a mono (ala the Pro-1) and another timbre with the lush voicing of a stereo poly (ala the Pro-6).

Of course, everyone makes separate monos and polys, and, apparently, never the twain shall meet ... except via unison mode or by simply selecting 1 voice of a poly synth... but, what about a real beast of a synth that you can play chords and ALSO a (true) mono-voiced lead, bass sequence or whatever - all simultaneously on the same synth.

Since MonoPoly has already been taken... how about the Sequential MP-9, a true bi-timbral mono-poly synth (1 voice mono and 8-voices poly) with VCO-hybrid architecture - and all the rest - great sequencer, lush filters, stereo spread, env shaping, etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The suspense of this is killing me, although my wallet would like this to stretch on indefinitely...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post
Sequential announces: The Prophet T12
A 12 VOICE TRUE VCO + WaveTables (vector synthesis) / Stereo Analog Filters - Analog Hybrid Synthesizer
4 OSC / WAVETABLES PER VOICE

You can assign VCO's and Wavetables within 4 osc slots, making this a true hybrid of vintage / modern cross over.

Key feature:
- 4 osc per voice (vco + wavetables)
- Assignable metal Joystick for wave shaping honoring the classic Prophet VS
- Polyphonic after touch on both 61 and 73 keyboard versions
- Light sensor polyphonic after touch on the 73 XL version

A 61 key synth action version with polyphonic after touch will be available as well as an 'XL' version with 73 Semi weighted wooden keys. The 73 keyboard version will have "T8" styled Light Sensor Polyphonic After touch for the ultimate expressive response. Light sensor polyphonic aftertouch was first used in the classic Prophet T8 and later used on the first SYNCLAVIER. Now it's back in a modern and affordable instrument: The Prophet T12.

Dave Smith quote: "I really wanted to go back to make a true players instrument dream synthesizer. I thought analog VCO's are great, and it gives a certain sound that's always special to me. I thought, why not make something of the best of both worlds? So with the Prophet XL we did samples, but now I thought it would be interesting to bring back vector synthesis and wavetables. We combined the best of both: VCO's from the Prophet 6, and the Wavetables we got from the now discontinued P12 and of course the original Prophet VS from back in the day... and now we have the Prophet T12." (Note to reader: This is fan fiction: I MADE THIS UP)

4000,- for the 61
6400,- for the XL

DAVE SMITH YOU ARE AWESOME:
Now _this_ would make me think twice about my recent Quantum purchase..... good play!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My memories of the T8 were less fond than presented here, which makes me believe that not many people owned this synth. The keyboard, while it was a joy to play, was notorious for unbalanced velocity, the envelopes were slow particularly with the piano key action, where you would assume a spiky sound, and poly-aftertouch worked only with the synth. Whenever I tried to make it work with the outside world, I failed, because it was such an early Midi design. The other flaw was, that you could not swap programs from layer A to layer B or visa versa. All in all, I was rather disappointed. I managed to tune in a very warm e-piano sound, but at the end I let it go and up to this day, I really have not regret that move. However, I still have my Matrix-12 though, with a totally inferior keyboard!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
My memories of the T8 were less fond than presented here, which makes me believe that not many people owned this synth. The keyboard, while it was a joy to play, was notorious for unbalanced velocity, the envelopes were slow particularly with the piano key action, where you would assume a spiky sound, and poly-aftertouch worked only with the synth. Whenever I tried to make it work with the outside world, I failed, because it was such an early Midi design. The other flaw was, that you could not swap programs from layer A to layer B or visa versa. All in all, I was rather disappointed. I managed to tune in a very warm e-piano sound, but at the end I let it go and up to this day, I really have not regret that move. However, I still have my Matrix-12 though, with a totally inferior keyboard!
If Sequential don’t release an updated OB Matrix 12, please sell me your Matrix 12... please please please!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Has Sequential ever produced a true bi-timbral mono-poly synth? Meaning, one timbre (synth layer) having the thicker voicing of a mono (ala the Pro-1) and another timbre with the lush voicing of a stereo poly (ala the Pro-6).
The Prophet X works in exactly this fashion, hampered only by a fixed half-and-half polyphony split. So, if you’re in eight voice mode and you decide to use it bi-timbrally you always get 4 + 4 voices, even if one of them is in 2-voice unison mode - essentially wasting two voices that could have been allocated to the poly side. Dynamic voice allocation in analog synths isn’t all that common, so presumably there’s some rationale here but it’s not clear to me why it would apply in the mono + poly case, where it isn’t truly dynamic but just a different fixed split. I’ve filed a request but admittedly it’s a slightly obscure case.

I assumed all this was inherited from other bi-timbral Sequential instrument’s but admittedly I haven’t verified it with Rev 2 or Prophet 12 owners, so I can’t say for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
My memories of the T8 were less fond than presented here, which makes me believe that not many people owned this synth.
It’s definitely quite rare, and I idolize it almost exclusively for the keyboard action’s feel and poly aftertouch. The slow envelopes it shared with the Prophet 600 were addressed with the gligli mod on the more widely available little sibling, but I’m not aware of a similar update for the T8. Apparently you could get poly aftertouch out, but only in a “mono mode” that foreshadowed MPE, as channel aftertouch spread across eight channels.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
for example by adding 3 filters to have real 4-voice polyphony.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

6 filters
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax View Post
It would be much better if they had put led encoders there.

LED encoders are the way forward but Sequential (and Moog) cater to curmudgeons that demand potentiometers even in all-digital devices. If they used encoders there would be pages and pages of complaints on how it makes the synth less organic and "hands on" and moaning about MIDI even though the encoders would be higher resolution.

Apparently their reason is that they need to be able to have end stops on the potentiometers so they can tweak them without looking... (while waving their long hair about and playing their "board" in their prog rock cover band)

A more reasonable argument is that potentiometers are more robust and perhaps easier / cheaper to replace but maybe don't treat the synth like it's an electric guitar?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post

This.

and this, could do that as I recall.

Stephen
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
LED encoders are the way forward but Sequential (and Moog) cater to curmudgeons that demand potentiometers even in all-digital devices. If they used encoders there would be pages and pages of complaints on how it makes the synth less organic and "hands on" and moaning about MIDI even though the encoders would be higher resolution.

Apparently their reason is that they need to be able to have end stops on the potentiometers so they can tweak them without looking... (while waving their long hair about and playing their "board" in their prog rock cover band)

A more reasonable argument is that potentiometers are more robust and perhaps easier / cheaper to replace but maybe don't treat the synth like it's an electric guitar?
I prefer pots with endpoints and do not have long wavy hair. I like pots with endpoints and look at the pots when turning them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search