The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC1000 + Roland JV-2080 vs Roland FA-06
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

MPC1000 + Roland JV-2080 vs Roland FA-06

Hi Everyone,

First time posting, longtime visitor...appreciate the great info and discussion here.

Please consider me a newbie, technically speaking, when it comes to the ins and outs of electronic music production. I've been at it for a while but consider my knowledge 2 miles wide *but* only 2 inches deep.

Creatively speaking, my music style is singer/songwriter, mixing acoustic and electronic instrumentation; I find the music of Massive Attack, Apparat, and Young Fathers, for example, very inspiring.

I have recently decided to ditch the computer, mostly, and build a standalone set-up. Thought I might try a different approach.

So I bought an MPC1000 and customized it: changed out some buttons/knobs, added wood sides, upgraded the RAM, and loaded up JJOS 2XL. It's great.

Now I'm thinking about using the MPC as the MIDI "brain" of my set-up.

I had a Roland XP-80 20+ years ago and remember liking it quite a bit so I thought I'd look into getting a rompler...something multitimbral, so that I could control different sounds on different MIDI channels.

I'm on a budget...say $500-$1000...and have found that the Roland JV-2080 module and SR-JV expansion boards can be had for pretty cheap.

...BUT...

I've also found the Roland FA-06 workstation keyboard to be pretty interesting.

From what I can see, the FA-06 may be a "one stop shop": it has built in sounds, it's expandable, it has sampling capability...and it can integrate with my DAW.

So I'm coming here for advice...

1. Is the MPC1000 + JV2080 the way to go?
2. Or the FA-06?
3. Or maybe the MPC1000 + FA-06?

I'm not losing sleep over this...but I would like to make a sensible decision soon. Thanks in advance for your time and comments...your wisdom is appreciated!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac
I would not swap MPC for FA-06.
Roland sequencer is quite simple, and hard to navigate, screen is big and colorful, but not touch sensible, so you have to use cursor keys and wheel all the time. Sampling is also very streamlined. If You want to ditch the MPC, I would recommend used fantom G instead.

As a sound source FA is better then old JV modules because of supernatural synth sounds and more effects (important if you want to use it multitimbrally). As a sound source you may consider Integra-7 module (all FA sounds + some supernatural acoustic sounds).

IMHO MPC + rompler module (and maybe one analog or virtual analog synth) is a killer combo
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

First off, good choice on the MPC and JJOS. I went through an all-hardware phase, and JJOS was the only sequencer I found that I actually enjoyed programming.

With how large your budget is, I'm going to also suggest a used Integra. It's basically all of the best sounds Roland ever made in their rompling. You'd lose out on the sampling of the FA, but the MPC is a far superior sampler anyway, so you wouldn't be missing much. For my own alternate setup, I'm running an MPC1000, Integra, and a Virus. It's a very formidable combination, and I could see myself surviving okay without the Virus in the mix.
Old 3 days ago
I would not go with the FA. Its a great little workstation but as its sequencer is so deliberately basic you are going to finish everything in your PC...so hardly worth having the sequencer. And software libraries are so much more deep and detailed that if you are already using a computer whats the point?

I sampled most of my FA and now just use its libraries in an MPC Live...paired with a good keyboard its like a workstation on steroids...yours would just be a pared down version of that.

Ive stuck my libraries up in the stickied thread for sharing samples...most of the acoustic stuff will be too ram heavy for a 1000 but you could use the synth keygroups I bet

Unless you decide you want an FA then its brilliant, great choice and Ill sell you mine
Old 3 days ago
Ah i just read your post completely (haha i never get past a few lines)

Option three would be one to consider

You can have 16 separate instruments running on the FA at one time sequenced by the MPC. And the advantage of a regular keyboard instead of just pads. The SRX expansion cards are free downloads on Rolands axial site (you can load two at a time) so that gives it the edge over the 2080 plus you can download banks of extra supernatural synth sounds too

If its really to sequence tunes away from the computer this would be a good option
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut
Option 3 is a no brainer.
MPC 1000 with os2XL used to be the brain of my studio before switching to MPC live. I sometime miss my MPC 1000 old school interface.
If you like sequencing on the MPC , by all means, stick to it. MPC+JJOS is one of the vrey best hardware sequencer around.
Roland FA06 will bring you everything the MPC lacks :
A great VA synth, tons of sound and a free access to all the Roland rom expansions, the supernatural piano is great. You won't miss the JV2080.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thank you, unicorn74, Derp, kcearl, and pixie!

That’s what I was looking for...I am now mulling MPC1000 + FA-06 vs MPC1000 + Integra 7. Will advise back once I pull the trigger.

Again...thank you!!!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

MPC1000+Integra+Moog Syrin or Minitaur should give you more than enough to make good music.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thank you, A.I. Batule Chee!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

i use a MPC 2500 and a Fa06 too. Multimode on the FA06 ist great, but i sometimes like the PCM sounds better than the Supernaturla stuff.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

I have an MPC1000 running JJOX2XL as the main sequencer for my studio. I also have 4 Roland JV-1080's, an XP-50, and an XP-30. So yes, I like the sound of vintage JV's!!

In general, having a dedicated MIDI sequencer offers better, more seamless control of your rig. There's fewer technical headaches with workflow (e.g. sending bank changes to external gear, deactivating local sound sources, etc.).

That being said, I do like the sequencer in my XP-50 for it's strengths - a great scratchpad for creating quick ideas on the keyboard itself, and triggering patterns from the keyboard while playing live. I use it rarely however.

Whether you like the FA, Fantom, or an Integera more than a vintage JV is a matter of personal taste. The later models sound more glossy, trebly, and compressed to my ears. The early JV's are warm, lumpy and have a certain magic associated with the sounds being designed for that generation of gear. I personally traded "up" to later Roland gear some time ago, then went back to the JV's and never looked back.

Last edited by EnzymeX; 2 days ago at 07:51 PM.. Reason: clarity / grammar
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search