The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
MPC1000 + Roland JV-2080 vs Roland FA-06
Old 12th June 2019
Here for the gear

MPC1000 + Roland JV-2080 vs Roland FA-06

Hi Everyone,

First time posting, longtime visitor...appreciate the great info and discussion here.

Please consider me a newbie, technically speaking, when it comes to the ins and outs of electronic music production. I've been at it for a while but consider my knowledge 2 miles wide *but* only 2 inches deep.

Creatively speaking, my music style is singer/songwriter, mixing acoustic and electronic instrumentation; I find the music of Massive Attack, Apparat, and Young Fathers, for example, very inspiring.

I have recently decided to ditch the computer, mostly, and build a standalone set-up. Thought I might try a different approach.

So I bought an MPC1000 and customized it: changed out some buttons/knobs, added wood sides, upgraded the RAM, and loaded up JJOS 2XL. It's great.

Now I'm thinking about using the MPC as the MIDI "brain" of my set-up.

I had a Roland XP-80 20+ years ago and remember liking it quite a bit so I thought I'd look into getting a rompler...something multitimbral, so that I could control different sounds on different MIDI channels.

I'm on a budget...say $500-$1000...and have found that the Roland JV-2080 module and SR-JV expansion boards can be had for pretty cheap.

...BUT...

I've also found the Roland FA-06 workstation keyboard to be pretty interesting.

From what I can see, the FA-06 may be a "one stop shop": it has built in sounds, it's expandable, it has sampling capability...and it can integrate with my DAW.

So I'm coming here for advice...

1. Is the MPC1000 + JV2080 the way to go?
2. Or the FA-06?
3. Or maybe the MPC1000 + FA-06?

I'm not losing sleep over this...but I would like to make a sensible decision soon. Thanks in advance for your time and comments...your wisdom is appreciated!
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Maniac
I would not swap MPC for FA-06.
Roland sequencer is quite simple, and hard to navigate, screen is big and colorful, but not touch sensible, so you have to use cursor keys and wheel all the time. Sampling is also very streamlined. If You want to ditch the MPC, I would recommend used fantom G instead.

As a sound source FA is better then old JV modules because of supernatural synth sounds and more effects (important if you want to use it multitimbrally). As a sound source you may consider Integra-7 module (all FA sounds + some supernatural acoustic sounds).

IMHO MPC + rompler module (and maybe one analog or virtual analog synth) is a killer combo
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

First off, good choice on the MPC and JJOS. I went through an all-hardware phase, and JJOS was the only sequencer I found that I actually enjoyed programming.

With how large your budget is, I'm going to also suggest a used Integra. It's basically all of the best sounds Roland ever made in their rompling. You'd lose out on the sampling of the FA, but the MPC is a far superior sampler anyway, so you wouldn't be missing much. For my own alternate setup, I'm running an MPC1000, Integra, and a Virus. It's a very formidable combination, and I could see myself surviving okay without the Virus in the mix.
Old 12th June 2019
I would not go with the FA. Its a great little workstation but as its sequencer is so deliberately basic you are going to finish everything in your PC...so hardly worth having the sequencer. And software libraries are so much more deep and detailed that if you are already using a computer whats the point?

I sampled most of my FA and now just use its libraries in an MPC Live...paired with a good keyboard its like a workstation on steroids...yours would just be a pared down version of that.

Ive stuck my libraries up in the stickied thread for sharing samples...most of the acoustic stuff will be too ram heavy for a 1000 but you could use the synth keygroups I bet

Unless you decide you want an FA then its brilliant, great choice and Ill sell you mine
Old 12th June 2019
Ah i just read your post completely (haha i never get past a few lines)

Option three would be one to consider

You can have 16 separate instruments running on the FA at one time sequenced by the MPC. And the advantage of a regular keyboard instead of just pads. The SRX expansion cards are free downloads on Rolands axial site (you can load two at a time) so that gives it the edge over the 2080 plus you can download banks of extra supernatural synth sounds too

If its really to sequence tunes away from the computer this would be a good option
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Nut
Option 3 is a no brainer.
MPC 1000 with os2XL used to be the brain of my studio before switching to MPC live. I sometime miss my MPC 1000 old school interface.
If you like sequencing on the MPC , by all means, stick to it. MPC+JJOS is one of the vrey best hardware sequencer around.
Roland FA06 will bring you everything the MPC lacks :
A great VA synth, tons of sound and a free access to all the Roland rom expansions, the supernatural piano is great. You won't miss the JV2080.
Old 12th June 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you, unicorn74, Derp, kcearl, and pixie!

That’s what I was looking for...I am now mulling MPC1000 + FA-06 vs MPC1000 + Integra 7. Will advise back once I pull the trigger.

Again...thank you!!!
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

MPC1000+Integra+Moog Syrin or Minitaur should give you more than enough to make good music.
Old 13th June 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you, A.I. Batule Chee!
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Addict

i use a MPC 2500 and a Fa06 too. Multimode on the FA06 ist great, but i sometimes like the PCM sounds better than the Supernaturla stuff.
Old 13th June 2019
Here for the gear

I have an MPC1000 running JJOX2XL as the main sequencer for my studio. I also have 4 Roland JV-1080's, an XP-50, and an XP-30. So yes, I like the sound of vintage JV's!!

In general, having a dedicated MIDI sequencer offers better, more seamless control of your rig. There's fewer technical headaches with workflow (e.g. sending bank changes to external gear, deactivating local sound sources, etc.).

That being said, I do like the sequencer in my XP-50 for it's strengths - a great scratchpad for creating quick ideas on the keyboard itself, and triggering patterns from the keyboard while playing live. I use it rarely however.

Whether you like the FA, Fantom, or an Integera more than a vintage JV is a matter of personal taste. The later models sound more glossy, trebly, and compressed to my ears. The early JV's are warm, lumpy and have a certain magic associated with the sounds being designed for that generation of gear. I personally traded "up" to later Roland gear some time ago, then went back to the JV's and never looked back.

Last edited by EnzymeX; 13th June 2019 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: clarity / grammar
Old 16th June 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you, ontherun and EnzymeX!
Old 16th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle_house View Post
I had a Roland XP-80 20+ years ago and remember liking it quite a bit so I thought I'd look into getting a rompler...something multitimbral, so that I could control different sounds on different MIDI channels.
I don't really understand why you sold exactly what you needed, especially if you liked it . The XP-80 is a rompler (actually more than that) and it is multi-timbral.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

I used to GAS over the Integra but as EnzymeX said, I greatly prefer the vintage JV and XV units. Especially once you start adding some of the Expansion cards.

When they were put together Eric Pershing was the lead guy for Roland, he went into world class studios to make the sample roms and they and the hardware was tweaked to get every ounce of sound they could out of 1990s CPU power, DA convertors, and memory.

On the newer Roland synths they have "better" everything. The samples themselves are not as compressed, "better" more powerful electronics etc, yet they lose something along the way
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

There are a few more things to consider - the JV-2080 has a total of 3 insert effects (if I remember correctly), so that might be problematic if you plan on using it as a multi timbral module.

The FA-06 on the other hand, has 1 insert effect per part, but that might still not be optimal if you use effects a lot when making your own sounds.

I would instead of these consider the following: a Yamaha Motif Rack XS + an Access Virus Snow. The former will give you 8 parts with 2 insert effects each (+8 without) and the latter will give you 4 parts of the awesome sounding Access Virus virtual analogue tech.

These two sequenced by the MPC1000 should be a killer setup
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I used to GAS over the Integra but as EnzymeX said, I greatly prefer the vintage JV and XV units. Especially once you start adding some of the Expansion cards.

When they were put together Eric Pershing was the lead guy for Roland, he went into world class studios to make the sample roms and they and the hardware was tweaked to get every ounce of sound they could out of 1990s CPU power, DA convertors, and memory.

On the newer Roland synths they have "better" everything. The samples themselves are not as compressed, "better" more powerful electronics etc, yet they lose something along the way
The integra pcm engine sounds 99% the same as the xv engine , the only difference is in the effects routings .
Exact same architecture , routing and samples ( srx ) loaded from the rom cards
When effects are turned off , I'd be surprised if you noticed the difference
Old 16th June 2019
dunno by the time I loaded up my 1080 with the right cards it was over $600, thats pushing its worth...having played it with the FA loaded with SRX options the FA is far better value (can be found used for $700) and unless youre golden ears I really dont hear a huge difference.

Add the supernatural engines acoustic instruments and its killing early JVs imho

plus the expansion cards explode now, true story the Germans mined Omaha beach with SR-JV80-04 cards!*

*Just saw one on eabay for $250
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
The integra pcm engine sounds 99% the same as the xv engine , the only difference is in the effects routings .
Exact same architecture , routing and samples ( srx ) loaded from the rom cards
When effects are turned off , I'd be surprised if you noticed the difference
Perhaps with the XV5080 but not with the JV line or the XV3080.

The older units sound engine operated at lower resolution and the samples were more compressed. It's also not just the samples and the synth engine it's also the DA convertors that give them their sound

I much prefer the sound of the older units even with the same patches. I know and appreciate that is a personal taste and as always YMMV.

To me the older units sound like an early 1990s rompler from the era when an 8MB sample set was insanely huge. The Ingegra and Roland Cloud versions sound like a VST, nothing wrong that, just different
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

A quick update...I’ve pulled the trigger on an FA-06. Appreciate everyones input!
Old 4 weeks ago
3bc
Gear Nut

I’m not familiar with that synth, but as a 1080 and 1010 owner, I will tell you I would not want a 2080 to be my only major sound source, that would be brutal. Early 90’s digital sound sources have aged about as well as early 90’s fashion trends. Fun, nostalgic, not particularly useful for every day purposes. Good move!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle_house View Post
A quick update...I’ve pulled the trigger on an FA-06. Appreciate everyones input!
well done, our conversation made me dig out mine and pair it with my MPC Live
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
well done, our conversation made me dig out mine and pair it with my MPC Live
Did it make you do it in your boxers though??
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I dunno, I've had a couple modern ROMplers and some older ones. If I had to pick one as my only synth, the older ones sound phenomenal. Even the presets on the X5DR, though unrealistic sounding, have a beautiful charm and sound design to them. Gun up to my head, I'd stick with the Integra just for the variety of sounds and presets, but the old ROMplers have their own character to them. You can load the 1080 presets on an Integra, but it doesn't sound like a 1080.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I own a FA-06 and use it regularly for coverband duties. It gets the job done but I find it’s difficult to navigate. There’s constant curser moving and menu paging to do anything and that’s sort of a PITA. This is complicated by the fact the front panel is near impossible to read in dim light or when there are ceiling lights reflecting off of it back into your face (the panel has a very reflective black mirror-like plastic surface). Also, there’s no editor available for it.

Basically, I don’t love it or hate it. But, I have been considering replacing it with something that’s more user friendly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
Did it make you do it in your boxers though??
hahaha...Im in my boxers now and its 4.13
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bc View Post
I’m not familiar with that synth, but as a 1080 and 1010 owner, I will tell you I would not want a 2080 to be my only major sound source, that would be brutal. Early 90’s digital sound sources have aged about as well as early 90’s fashion trends. Fun, nostalgic, not particularly useful for every day purposes. Good move!
Have you noticed that the kids are all wearing day-glo yellow t-shirts these days?

90s fashion is back, along with New Jack Swing and everything else!
Old 4 weeks ago
3bc
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
Have you noticed that the kids are all wearing day-glo yellow t-shirts these days?

90s fashion is back, along with New Jack Swing and everything else!
There’s nothing cool about being fashionable. In my late 30’s I’m of the generation where “frosted tips” were a thing. Nobody wants to have photographic evidence of that crap. Timeless classic is where it’s at.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search