The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
can i use vocals from interviews for music?
Old 1 week ago
Deleted be0883d 
can i use vocals from interviews for music?

Can I just 'steal' some sentences I think are interesting from not so popular interviews?
Can I still legally sell these songs when the voices are processed?

what should i keep in mind while doing this?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Well you can of course, but it would be illegal. At least over here the person doing the recording owns the copyright to interviews.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Lots of people do it of course, me included.
Old 1 week ago
Deleted be0883d 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
Lots of people do it of course, me included.
I found that tech house is based on this principle and many hiphop artists also "steal" samples

Does someone has to take you to court or something when he hears its his sample or is it simpler to take/get payed for your rights?

How does this work?

I'm not saying something i'd make would get worldwide or popular but I'd like to know how this works, I'm new to this, always created my own samples
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajn View Post
Does someone has to take you to court or something when he hears its his sample or is it simpler to take/get payed for your rights?

How does this work?
Someone has to take you to court. There are lawyers specialized in this. You might pay way more then you earn.

Its easiest to ask the person or right-holder.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Barfunkel and Coorec are right. It’s technically illegal. A musical recording might have several copyrights, including separate copyrights for the lyrics, song and recording. A recording is automatically copyrighted, just like a song. Many choose to appropriate stuff anyway- musical novelty thrives on appropriation- so there is a perpetual, inevitable tension between protecting artists’ rights and allowing “transformative appropriation” (see literature by Joanna Demers for more on this).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You’re best off looking for interviews and sound-bites from years ago that are now in the public domain:

http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/pu...ecordings.html
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Since you're asking this here, whatever you make is very unlikely to get anywhere or be noticed by a lot of people (just an unfortunate fact of making tunes in 2019), so I'd just go ahead and do it.

If it does take off somehow, then you deal with sample clearance. Some people mangle the samples with pitch changes and other ways to make them urecognizable..
Old 1 week ago
Deleted be0883d 
Vermona Action Filter 4
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be0883d View Post
Vermona Action Filter 4
Good idea. If you set it to 'notch' and the cutoff to 'illegal', IN THEORY it should filter out any illegal actions from the audio signal, but what if there's a bug?

JK, I have no idea why you mentioned it. I say sample away but mangle it, stay just below the high-tide line of recognition. Or not, make it obvious, and if enough people actually listen (huge if), tell them you hadn't heard the source until after folks started saying your song samples it, and now you can kinda hear some resemblance, but it's totally different, yours is original. People act like this all the time when it's music, but...

I think it would be next level if you did that with spoken word, maybe from obscure speeches like you mentioned, but I feel like you'd actually pull it off better if it was well-known speeches. Many of our influencers, of all stripes and spots, DESERVE to have their speeches sampled and then be lied to about it. Have at it man. Deny, stick to your story, and use a pseudonym in case some ass-hat calls the cops.

tl;dr - There's plenty of public domain speeches. If you're going to pilfer words, go big: steal them from someone who deserves it. Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, reflected back from a fun-house mirror. Look, you're the one who went all OT with the action filter..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted be0883d View Post
Can I just 'steal' some sentences I think are interesting from not so popular interviews?
If the interview was freely given to the press, it's in the public domain and you're fine. If it was a private event of some sort, probably not.
Old 1 week ago
Deleted be0883d 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Good idea. If you set it to 'notch' and the cutoff to 'illegal', IN THEORY it should filter out any illegal actions from the audio signal, but what if there's a bug?

JK, I have no idea why you mentioned it. I say sample away but mangle it, stay just below the high-tide line of recognition. Or not, make it obvious, and if enough people actually listen (huge if), tell them you hadn't heard the source until after folks started saying your song samples it, and now you can kinda hear some resemblance, but it's totally different, yours is original. People act like this all the time when it's music, but...

I think it would be next level if you did that with spoken word, maybe from obscure speeches like you mentioned, but I feel like you'd actually pull it off better if it was well-known speeches. Many of our influencers, of all stripes and spots, DESERVE to have their speeches sampled and then be lied to about it. Have at it man. Deny, stick to your story, and use a pseudonym in case some ass-hat calls the cops.

tl;dr - There's plenty of public domain speeches. If you're going to pilfer words, go big: steal them from someone who deserves it. Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, reflected back from a fun-house mirror. Look, you're the one who went all OT with the action filter..

answered on the wrong page

But idd & Maybe i can use a fuzz and distortion to make the sample unrecognizable
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajn View Post
answered on the wrong page
However:

I strumbled on the action filter because i have a vermona lancet filter overdrive... this unit is insane, if this unit were in stereo, my god it would sound gooooood...

However I'm hoping that the action filter is just as good (without the overdrive wich is too bad, the overdrive really gives that sweet crunch to the filter especially on kicks with the high pass filter and some resonance)
Also you can modulate the entire inside of the lancet filter wich makes it the heart of any synthesizer or sound.

I'm thinking about selling the vermona lancet filter for an action filter

SO IF ANYONE WANTS TO BUY MY VERMONA LANCET FILTER, JUST HIT ME UP I'M WILLING TO LOOK AT WORLDWIDE SHIPPING! just give a fair price pls

Also check Electrix stereo filter (Filter Factory) It's a great unit that comes for a damn low price, if you can find one. They are pretty rare. Also old but sound really nice.
that explains it. I had to look up the action filter: I didn't know about it, though I've kinda got a thing for external filters atm. Would prefer stereo, but lack thereof doesn't seem to stop me from buying them, it only limits on what and where in the chain I can place them.

As for the Filter Lancet: I don't like to buy used gear through the mail, but if you're anywhere near central New England in the US...
Old 1 week ago
Deleted be0883d 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
that explains it. I had to look up the action filter: I didn't know about it, though I've kinda got a thing for external filters atm. Would prefer stereo, but lack thereof doesn't seem to stop me from buying them, it only limits on what and where in the chain I can place them.

As for the Filter Lancet: I don't like to buy used gear through the mail, but if you're anywhere near central New England in the US...
Im from belgium so thats going to be hard

That filter factory is also a nice rack stereo filter

2 vermona lancet filters would be the **** tho :p haha
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Unless the voice needs to be recognisable why not record yourself / friend / computer voice saying the same words ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Definitely illegal, unless it's stuff that specifically isn't.

Absolutely common, so much so some subgenres could or would hardly exist without it.

And it usually goes unnoticed, until it doesn't... so proceed with caution. Can you afford being sued?

Does it matter if only 1000 people hear it? Probably not. But if that track takes off and gets noticed, you might have an issue.

Want to test the theory - sample someone famous.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I would think the OP is talking about interviews like we get on CNN/Fox etc. radio, podcasts, politicians etc.

That material is legal AFAIK
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
I would think the OP is talking about interviews like we get on CNN/Fox etc. radio, podcasts, politicians etc.

CNN/etc can't own the facts of a given news segment, but they definitely own the written word, audio, and video it broadcasts or posts online, with few exceptions.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by re5etuk View Post
Unless the voice needs to be recognisable why not record yourself / friend / computer voice saying the same words ?
this...

I've also just asked strangers who had a voice I liked if they would record something for me... a sentence or a string of words to chop up... easier to get a clean signal that way too...
Old 1 week ago
Deleted be0883d 
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
this...

I've also just asked strangers who had a voice I liked if they would record something for me... a sentence or a string of words to chop up... easier to get a clean signal that way too...
i have a handheld recorder so this maybe idd a good idea

tnx for the advice!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post

No it isn't. The recording has copyright, even if the content itself doesn't (except in some cases, like when the content has enough artistic merit to be considered a work of art). As an example, you can't sample an interview where CNN interviews Donald Trump saying "make America great again", but you COULD say those words yourself in your music with no problem.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sure you can -

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramdown View Post
If the interview was freely given to the press, it's in the public Domain and you're fine.
Not at all.

Its public, but not free to use.

Else you could copy every book, song or movie, because after release they're public too. That's not the case.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

If you're not known it will most probably not matter. If you'll be famous and making real money with it, there's a chance that whoever you sampled from will want a bite of success. There's a story from 90's posted on GS:
Nine Inch Nails synths

Quote:
that "do you believe in god? not really" sample is a funny story and a lesson in clearing samples. For a minute in the 1980's I did solo tracks that were all techno stuff with found vocals from tv and films, and I had a bunch of DAT tapes with all the vocal bits I had accumulated. Never released, nobody ever heard them. When I remixed Heresy I broke out those tapes and took those vocal bits from an obscure documentary about religion that was, by then, almost 20 years old. Didn't clear them, didn't even know the title of the documentary they had come from. As soon as the remix came out, on import CD only, in Europe only no less.... Nothing Records got the call. Yes, the producer of the original documentary was suing Nothing Records. He was teaching a course in film and showed this documentary to his students, one of whom was a NIN fan. This knucklehead kid saw the scene that the vocal came from, and said, "Hey teacher! I have a remix that has a sample of that line in it!" The teacher goes, "????" and the kid goes, "It's by my favorite band, nine inch nails!" and the teacher goes, "Who or what is a nine inch nail?" and the kid goes, "They're like the best band evarrrrr, check out the track!" ........ Ring Ring - lawsuit. It took a couple of months to prove to the filmmaker that we'd only printed like 10,000 copies of that remix, that it had only come out as an import CD and wasn't on the 4x platinum album, and that he wasn't going to get a piece of The Downward Spiral... but we still had to pay him off. I think Trent paid the guy $8,000 to let it go, but it took many hours of in-house lawyer time to make it go away. I got a firm talking-to by Trent's manager to please never do that again! Lesson learned: no matter how obscure you think the sample is, get it cleared. If you don't, you'd better hope nobody ever hears the record, because if you ARE successful with it, someone will come around with their hand out. Eight grand that one sample cost! Well, that and the evangelist preachers toward the end; they were from the same film. I'm an idiot.
They've met on reddit recently:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...m_religion_in/
Old 1 week ago
HSi
Lives for gear

I clip stuff from joe rogan podcasts at random all the time, no one would ever know. Isn't copyright decay 25 years still, so I Imagine a lot of 70's-98 stuff would be fine
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What is with these 'can I?' threads?

Quit being weak and subservient to system that makes no secret of hating you, wanting to crush everything you have or ever will have, turn all art into a commodity the same as corn flakes, incarcerate, murder, exploit - its not rocket science and it is EVERYWHERE.

They are the enemy of good people everywhere.

I sample everything all the time without apology - if everyone would shake off the parasite of Stockholm Syndrome we'd all be better off.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you are okay with old obscure stuff, try archive.org. Lots of audio content of all kinds, including interviews. I think they are generally public domain, with certain conditions, and you can read about those conditions they relate to the file You are downloading. Doesn't mean you'll never get sued, but at least you can have a clear picture. I'm no copyright expert, and I've never published anything, so use at your own risk!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

...or just interview yourself.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
What is with these 'can I?' threads?

Quit being weak and subservient to system that makes no secret of hating you, wanting to crush everything you have or ever will have, turn all art into a commodity the same as corn flakes, incarcerate, murder, exploit - its not rocket science and it is EVERYWHERE.

They are the enemy of good people everywhere.

I sample everything all the time without apology - if everyone would shake off the parasite of Stockholm Syndrome we'd all be better off.

Interesting point Banksy makes, I’ve never seen it that way.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
No it isn't. The recording has copyright, even if the content itself doesn't (except in some cases, like when the content has enough artistic merit to be considered a work of art). As an example, you can't sample an interview where CNN interviews Donald Trump saying "make America great again", but you COULD say those words yourself in your music with no problem.
That's BS. the only one who'd sue you for using a Trump sample is Trump himself, saying he didn't say that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search