The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best HW Reverb for Dark Techno?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Best HW Reverb for Dark Techno?

I am looking for a new hardware reverbpedal for my synths. Now, I know its very subjective, to be more specific: I want a hallreverb which sounds dark, warm and bigroomy. A reverb which would sound great on a distorted 303 bassline with a pounding gated 909 technokick underneath it. Some reverbs I have in mind right now which sounded pretty good to me in internet demo's are: OTO Bam, Lexicon PCM 70, Boss RV6 and Mercury7. My favorite vst reverb that I normally use is Valhalla Vintageverb, however after trying Strymon Bigsky I was so blown away by the amount of quality a HW Reverb can add, I am looking for another contender (Strymon was very good, but got bored of the sound). Any experiences, suggestions?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoking View Post
I am looking for a new hardware reverbpedal for my synths. Now, I know its very subjective, to be more specific: I want a hallreverb which sounds dark, warm and bigroomy. A reverb which would sound great on a distorted 303 bassline with a pounding gated 909 technokick underneath it. Some reverbs I have in mind right now which sounded pretty good to me in internet demo's are: OTO Bam, Lexicon PCM 70, Boss RV6 and Mercury7. My favorite vst reverb that I normally use is Valhalla Vintageverb, however after trying Strymon Bigsky I was so blown away by the amount of quality a HW Reverb can add, I am looking for another contender (Strymon was very good, but got bored of the sound). Any experiences, suggestions?
Eventide H9 is my advice or Eventide Space (if it's just for Reverb)
Old 1 week ago
ValhallaDSP

Quadraverb.
Old 1 week ago
3bc
Gear Nut

Do you need hardware for live performance or something else? At the end of the day, basically all “hardware” reverbs run on software, but you are paying big bucks for superfluous hardware (I/o, mini computer, etc.). For dark, room/hall synth verbs I LOVE the UAD 224. For hardware, look at the immerse.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bc View Post
Do you need hardware for live performance or something else? At the end of the day, basically all “hardware” reverbs run on software, but you are paying big bucks for superfluous hardware (I/o, mini computer, etc.). For dark, room/hall synth verbs I LOVE the UAD 224. For hardware, look at the immerse.
The creator of probably the best selling software reverb ever just recommended a hardware unit for him a post before yours.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think you would like this one

Old 1 week ago
3bc
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech44 View Post
The creator of probably the best selling software reverb ever just recommended a hardware unit for him a post before yours.
Yep, I get that. I just think hardware vs software on modern, digital reverb is a bit fools goldish. Not like we’re talking vintage lexicon or EMT where the old converters and circuitry are imparting special, hard to emulate character. We’re talking about modern circuitry and converters that are comparable to modern day budget interfaces, hardware DSP that can’t compete with modern computing power, and software algos that you can get ITB for way less.

It’s precisely because of really affordable, high quality plugins like Valhalla’s offerings that digital hardware reverbs are mostly irrelevant unless it’s for a live performance type of an application.
Old 1 week ago
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech44 View Post
Well, that's mainly because the OP specified hardware. Otherwise, I would have suggested trying the reverb presets in ValhallaDelay. Which I've heard described as sounding a lot like the Big Sky reverbs, although that's coincidence.

A few Quadraverb tracks:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Oto bam 100%
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, I get that. I just think hardware vs software on modern, digital reverb is a bit fools goldish. Not like we’re talking vintage lexicon or EMT where the old converters and circuitry are imparting special, hard to emulate character. We’re talking about modern circuitry and converters that are comparable to modern day budget interfaces, hardware DSP that can’t compete with modern computing power, and software algos that you can get ITB for way less.

It’s precisely because of really affordable, high quality plugins like Valhalla’s offerings that digital hardware reverbs are mostly irrelevant unless it’s for a live performance type of an application.

I have to disagree. I can't speak for the OP, but one of the reasons I prefer HW reverbs is because I'm not reliant on the computer. Once I load up my interface's mixer I close the screen on my laptop and can jam without looking at a computer screen until I want to record something. For me this is invaluable.

I also find all reverbs sound different and some I like and some I don't. I haven't tried a bunch of SW verbs, but the only SW one I've tried that I liked was one of the Valhalla verbs. Out of the three reverb pedals and four rack units I own I love most of them and only one of them would be considered a classic and have a fair bit of value. I mean I recently picked up a Lexicon MPX550 for 115.00 bucks and absolutely love it. The quadraverb is considered a classic and they seem to go for around a hundred bucks. I see Lexicon MPX1's come up for 150.00 and while I don't love the UI on these they sound great to me. Are plugins really that much cheaper?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to give you too much of a hard time, I just found it a bit amusing.

Also I enjoy that seancostello is always so helpful in these threads despite having a horse in the race. Reminds me that I still need to go buy the new delay
Old 1 week ago
3bc
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post
I have to disagree. I can't speak for the OP, but one of the reasons I prefer HW reverbs is because I'm not reliant on the computer. Once I load up my interface's mixer I close the screen on my laptop and can jam without looking at a computer screen until I want to record something. For me this is invaluable.

I also find all reverbs sound different and some I like and some I don't. I haven't tried a bunch of SW verbs, but the only SW one I've tried that I liked was one of the Valhalla verbs. Out of the three reverb pedals and four rack units I own I love most of them and only one of them would be considered a classic and have a fair bit of value. I mean I recently picked up a Lexicon MPX550 for 115.00 bucks and absolutely love it. The quadraverb is considered a classic and they seem to go for around a hundred bucks. I see Lexicon MPX1's come up for 150.00 and while I don't love the UI on these they sound great to me. Are plugins really that much cheaper?
Well, I COMPLETELY understand that anything that takes you away from the mouse and keyboard, and computer screen in general is GREAT for music production, live or recorded. It’s why I avoid soft synths, guitar amp sims, and even sampling as much as I can. For me, nothing kills creativity and flow quite like fumbling around with a mouse.

I don’t have a clear picture of your workflow, but to me at least conceptually, it sounds like you maybe spending as much time routing your audio signals while sitting in front of your screen as I do dialing up a great software reverb. For synth jamming I quickly pull up a long tail hall type preset for pad sounds, and a very subtle short tail type preset for bass and ARP sounds in my uad console and then turn to my synth and start playing. 30 seconds gets me close enough to the right sound to enjoy and inspire as I jam away.

Valhalla makes great software reverbs, as does UAD, and even Lexicon has moved a lot of their high end reverbs into the software domain, because at the end of the day, all they really are is software anyway.

I also would not characterize the quadraverb as a classic, high quality unit. It’s rad, cheap, and full of character. But not the kind of thing that’s well suited to everything, and the character/quirkiness is the star attraction, not the effect itself. Kind of like Alesis’ own 3630. It was the main compressor used on two of the most classic and best selling house albums of all time (Homework and Discovery) but there’s a reason you can buy them for $50 bucks.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Wow, so many great choices! And really thanks for your time Sean, it means a lot to have someone like you share your knowledge
The mainreason for using a hardware reverb is because I want to get away from the computer. For years I have been looking at a screen and working ITB, but ever since I started jamming a lot more OTB, its so much more fun!

All the suggestions so far are great, but havent made it easier. The quadraverb is an interesting suggestion! It really nails the character Im after, but I do have to say out of the demo's I think it sounds just a bit too lo-fi for what Im looking for. So far I think I like the Boss RV5 the most (also considering budget).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Ensoniq dp/4 alternative dp/2. Nice and dark, with nice ambience. Some nice filter control also.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenbrother View Post
Ensoniq dp/4 alternative dp/2. Nice and dark, with nice ambience. Some nice filter control also.
Came here to say this. I don’t love the DP/4 on everything, but analog drums can get menacing through that reverb.

Last edited by aleyas; 1 week ago at 02:30 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Ventris, gfi, eqd are good ambient stereo side, old blood noise, chase bliss, etc great for character but mono reverbs only so darrrrk and delish. All these are stomp box pedals and perfect for 303 909 live style. minimal desk space used

CF
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
... nothing kills creativity and flow quite like fumbling around with a mouse.
how about a rackmount reverb/fx unit with twenty pages of parameters and a single data knob for adjustments, or a dozen menus/modes and spinning a jog wheel a million times on an MPC? yeah, all that totally keeps your creativity flowing. sometimes you're better off with a mouse (as if you were somehow restricted to only using a mouse with software).

people are so confused.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Compared a few reverb pedals last year with synths, drum machines and guitar/bass.
I ended up getting the MXR M300. Great sound, simple to use and tweak live, small, can be run mono -> stereo, mono -> mono or stereo -> stereo with TRS cables.
It has fewer parameters and presets, but great sounding ones, except the shimmer preset which is not its forte.
I really liked the Splash mkii too, very nice character, though it's only mono. This one seemed like the perfect 'dark techno' mono reverb pedal. They do have a stereo version now.
Got to play with an Empress Reverb, lots of extra functions and presets, might be the most advanced reverb pedal, lots of original presets, inspiring.
Neunaber and Merris are also superb sounding, very hifi, maybe not perfect for dark techno.
Old 1 week ago
3bc
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
how about a rackmount reverb/fx unit with twenty pages of parameters and a single data knob for adjustments, or a dozen menus/modes and spinning a jog wheel a million times on an MPC? yeah, all that totally keeps your creativity flowing. sometimes you're better off with a mouse (as if you were somehow restricted to only using a mouse with software).

people are so confused.
With respect, I think you may be confused, please re-read. I simply stated that I find fumbling around with a mouse to be a killer for my creativity, flow and spontaneity. I said I dislike soft synths and amp sims for that reason, preferring to work with hardware, which has a tactile quality that sparks creativity and generally sounds better. I also specifically said more than once my preference for software reverbs, that they sound as good or better. Also specifically stated ITB workflow for reverb is faster.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
With respect, I think you may be confused, please re-read. I simply stated that I find fumbling around with a mouse to be a killer for my creativity, flow and spontaneity.
Why not get better at using the mouse then ?
Fumbling around with most things is going to kill creativity.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
With respect, I think you may be confused, please re-read. I simply stated that I find fumbling around with a mouse to be a killer for my creativity, flow and spontaneity. I said I dislike soft synths and amp sims for that reason, preferring to work with hardware, which has a tactile quality that sparks creativity and generally sounds better. I also specifically said more than once my preference for software reverbs, that they sound as good or better. Also specifically stated ITB workflow for reverb is faster.
i just don't see how "fumbling around with a mouse" is any more of a workflow killer (in reality) than working with some archaic UI on a hardware device. it just doesn't add up. the "tactile quality" of a metal box with a tiny screen and a data knob? whenever anyone says that i'm just thinking "you've got to be joking". actually, a mouse is completely "tactile". i'm having a hard time understanding how people don't see this. i have more fluid control over parameters using a mouse that most any knob or slider, it just takes an extra split second to choose and click on whichever parameter.

...and why are you not thinking of how to make your software "tactile"? as a Maschine/APC40 user for the past ten years i'm just scratching my head at comments like this. "sounds better"? i think we're past that, at least when you take away all the nonsense variables.

do whatever makes you happy, but i can never understand the arguments that some people make. rarely do they ever hold up, they just come off as completely naive. not just you, i'm wondering if people that say this have ever experienced a good workflow with software. when they start talking about "fumbling with a mouse" and "clicking/drawing notes" you know they're only seeing half the picture.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Zoom rfx 2000 unit is great for techno & really cheap too
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Maybe check out an SPX1000. That does properly spacious industrial, clangy techno club stuff rather well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i just don't see how "fumbling around with a mouse" is any more of a workflow killer (in reality) than working with some archaic UI on a hardware device. it just doesn't add up. the "tactile quality" of a metal box with a tiny screen and a data knob? whenever anyone says that i'm just thinking "you've got to be joking". actually, a mouse is completely "tactile". i'm having a hard time understanding how people don't see this. i have more fluid control over parameters using a mouse that most any knob or slider, it just takes an extra split second to choose and click on whichever parameter.

...and why are you not thinking of how to make your software "tactile"? as a Maschine/APC40 user for the past ten years i'm just scratching my head at comments like this. "sounds better"? i think we're past that, at least when you take away all the nonsense variables.

do whatever makes you happy, but i can never understand the arguments that some people make. rarely do they ever hold up, they just come off as completely naive. not just you, i'm wondering if people that say this have ever experienced a good workflow with software. when they start talking about "fumbling with a mouse" and "clicking/drawing notes" you know they're only seeing half the picture.
The only person who brought up archaic UI's on hardware is you. So who are you arguing with here?

There are plenty of reverb pedals with knobs and zero menus or just for system stuff. An MPC is not a reverb unit, so of what relevance is its UI?

However, the comment was its a "creativity killer", which is a reasonable statement as its about the speed at which things get going rather than getting to a complete finished result. The latter software is supreme, but as a result can be difficult for just turning something on and going.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i just don't see how "fumbling around with a mouse" is any more of a workflow killer (in reality) than working with some archaic UI on a hardware device. it just doesn't add up. the "tactile quality" of a metal box with a tiny screen and a data knob? whenever anyone says that i'm just thinking "you've got to be joking". actually, a mouse is completely "tactile". i'm having a hard time understanding how people don't see this.
A mouse is a tactile device the computer it's hooked up to isn't. The DAW running on said computer isn't, the plug in on said computer isn't

I am down to two hardware reverb pedals now. An Eventide Space and a Strymon Big Sky. I use them for the crazy out there algos that they excel at. I also have a lot of older "character" reverbs like Midiverb II's and Yamaha SPX90. Finally I mix and record using an X-32 rack which has a TON of great reverbs built in, including emulations of classic Lexicon, Quantec, EMS and other cool stuff I could never afford or even if I could afford them tracking them down to buy them in good condition is close to impossible.

When I go into my studio it takes 30 seconds to power everything up, all my synths, my sequencer, my effects and my mixer. My routine is such that things that take longer to boot up get turned on first.

I am making music in under a minute.

For me (and I fully understand everyone is not me) that is a far better experience than turning on a computer, waiting for it to boot up, then firing up my DAW, then loading up a VST, then loading up my reverb plug in, then adjusting everything with the mouse while staring at a screen to make sure I am clicking the right thing and dragging the mouse the right way

It's much easier to turn a few knobs on hardware, or look at the screen on my X32 and turn a few dedicated knobs or press a few buttons.

This way I can just worry about making terrible sh*te music
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
... There are plenty of reverb pedals with knobs and zero menus or just for system stuff. An MPC is not a reverb unit, so of what relevance is its UI?
true, knobby reverb boxes are certainly more common these days. i'm thinking QuadraVerb, Lexicon, etc... MPC (or whatever) because so many people claim it's so much more "immediate" than anything in software, just because it's hardware. i can guarantee that people spend more time faffing around "wasting time" and "slowing themselves down" on these things than they realize, while someone with the right ITB setup can easily "get going" just as quickly (if not faster).

Quote:
However, the comment was its a "creativity killer", which is a reasonable statement as its about the speed at which things get going rather than getting to a complete finished result. The latter software is supreme, but as a result can be difficult for just turning something on and going.
why does that need to be the case? motivation/inspiration aside, my DAW is always (or can be) sitting here "running and ready to go". at no point in my life has it ever been quicker/easier to "get going", and i've owned a ton of hardware over the past 20+ years.

that's why i keep bringing this up, i know that the DAW being a "creativity killer" is not how it needs to be.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
true, knobby reverb boxes are certainly more common these days. i'm thinking QuadraVerb, Lexicon, etc... MPC (or whatever) because so many people claim it's so much more "immediate" than anything in software, just because it's hardware. i can guarantee that people spend more time faffing around "wasting time" and "slowing themselves down" on these things than they realize, while someone with the right ITB setup can easily "get going" just as quickly (if not faster).

why does that need to be the case? motivation/inspiration aside, my DAW is always (or can be) sitting here "running and ready to go". at no point in my life has it ever been quicker/easier to "get going", and i've owned a ton of hardware over the past 20+ years.

that's why i keep bringing this up, i know that the DAW being a "creativity killer" is not how it needs to be.
It doesn't need be that way, but it is.

Its not about how much hardware you've owned, just as much about what hardware you've owned. Give me a guitar or piano and I'll be making music faster than any DAW allows me to, just there's a point where a DAW becomes useful.

Like everyone below a particular age these days, I started with software and I agree with that statement, as I've ventured into hardware, its just faster for me.

But still, its off topic.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

For modern techno I'd recommend H9/Space and for "older" type of sound Bam or Quadraverb.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Is this a typical gearslutz thing that a lot of topics drive into total other territory?
It was the reason I stopped following the SSL Six thread, because most of it was also about this neverending debate software vs hardware, instead of the SSL Six There is no good or bad in a subjective discussion and you will never agree, just enjoy the music

I do appreciate all the reactions with good suggestions though! Enough to think about! Now im GASsing for a combination of an old reverb (quadra/midiverb 2) combined with a new one (Eventide Space, lovely character, kinda like an old dark vibe, but with a high end touch)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Gearslutz is nearly nothing if not a place where the same handful of arguments come up in almost every thread of consequence by the same 50 people and an ever rotating list of new people, far more than the mod staff can keep up with, this subforum especially.

ITB vs OTB, Hardware vs Software, Modular vs Fixed Architecture, New vs Vintage, Electktron Fans vs The World, Moog Fans vs The Haters, Roland Fans vs The Haters, Behringer vs The World, Little Guy vs Big Corporations, Locker Room vs SJW types, and a few more I probably forgot.

But if you sift through all of that, some pearls lie within... pearls of members, mods, and knowledge, and occasional appearances by people who have been there and done that, and either are or worked with some of your favorite artists who can answer questions like "what did X use on song Y in '91...".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search